Alienware M14x R2 with 7 beeps error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alienware M14x R2 with 7 beeps error

now move to PU701 and measure voltage on pins 22, 28, 9, 33, 24 after turning on.
    if you have got doubt on pin numbers, search the net to find its datasheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      Please buy and fit a new LCD cable first. Many Dell and Alienware (since it is owned by Dell) models will NOT boot up unless the LCD cable is correctly fitted and the screen is okay. Some models even got a specific beep code for that.
      I haven't been able to find an LCD ribbon at a decent price, I found a cheaper one for an R1 that looks the same but the R1 & R2 LCD ribbons have different part numbers. I can't afford to sink too much into it if I can't fix the board as I spent $130 AUD to buy it and don't have a big budget, unfortunatly the LCD ribbon happend to be missing. I have used a DELL XPS M1730 without the screen attached before so hopfully Alienware is the same :-)

R1 42M68: $26.46 AUD
      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Alie...53.m1438.l2649

R2 RJ31W: $60 AUD
      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Alie...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
        now move to PU701 and measure voltage on pins 22, 28, 9, 33, 24 after turning on.
        if you have got doubt on pin numbers, search the net to find its datasheet.
        PU701
        pin 9 - 3.288V
        pin 22 - 0.9mV
        pin 24 - 1.348V
        pin 28 - 0.9mV
        pin 33 - 0.4mV

Comment

I don't have experience on this IC. I hope other technicians help.

Comment

no advice?
            Last edited by caspian; 07-26-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

7 beep means lvds cable or bad lcd eprom.

Comment

it worth trying to go to a repair shop and ask them test the laptop using a proper LVDS cable before buying the cable.

Comment

it worth trying to go to a repair shop and ask them test the laptop using a proper LVDS cable before buying the cable.
                  I'll inquire at some repair shops if they have a cable, hopfully they don't want to charge too much just to test, if they have one.
                  Last edited by Johndill; 07-27-2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

tell them I want to buy the cable only if it works on my laptop and bring the laptop disassembled and ready for connecting the cable. In this way, they test it for free.
                    note: do not test using a non-compatible cable because this may lead to bad damage to the board.
                    Last edited by caspian; 07-27-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Just a slight off topic question, can an M14x R1 screen be replaced with an LCD + ribbon cable from an R2?

Comment

upload the schematics of R1 to compare.
                        Last edited by caspian; 07-27-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Just remembered, 7 beeps on Dell Inspiron and Vostro models with 4th gen Core i processors means display fault - and it happens when you power on such a board and or there is a fault in the cable or the screen - or if the cable is not connected. Could very well be the same here.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

upload the schematics of R1 to compare.
                            The computer shop said they don't have a cable and just sent me links to ones I've already seen on ebay.

I haven't been able to find a schematic for the R1 unfortunatly, I may be purchasing an R1 for around $80AUD with a broken hinge, if so I can try the cable from it.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                            Just remembered, 7 beeps on Dell Inspiron and Vostro models with 4th gen Core i processors means display fault - and it happens when you power on such a board and or there is a fault in the cable or the screen - or if the cable is not connected. Could very well be the same here.
                            Ah ok maybe so, thanks for that, I'll have to try with a cable before continuing I think :-)
                            Last edited by Johndill; 08-01-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment

The cheapest M14x R2 LCD cable I've found was $50AUD from https://www.parts-people.com/index.p...=item&id=14207, I'll post an update when it arrives, if it doesn't workout in the end, at least I'll have a complete display assembly for resale. :-)

Comment

I remember that your laptop has no cpu_vcore.
                                After buying the screen cable, you probably have to fix the cpu_vcore circuit as well.
                                However, it is also a bit possible that connecting the healthy screen cable eventually leads to cpu_vcore to get activated. but, I am not sure.

Comment

Well... the cable finally arrived but it is damaged, I've emailed them for a replacement. What a bother :-(

I tried it out anyway but it powers on and shorts out
                                  Attached Files

Comment

long distance shopping usually has this kind of problem.
                                    sometimes they send faulty laptop parts to customer.
                                    there must be some laptop part sellers in every country such that customer is able to attend the shop or buy parts from them through a trusted third person living in the far city.
                                    generally, laptop repair in a city far from laptop part sellers is usually a bother.
                                    that is why I love cities of laptop part sellers.

Comment

long distance shopping usually has this kind of problem.
                                      sometimes they send faulty laptop parts to customer.
                                      there must be some laptop part sellers in every country such that customer is able to attend the shop or buy parts from them through a trusted third person living in the far city.
                                      generally, laptop repair in a city far from laptop part sellers is usually a bother.
                                      that is why I love cities of laptop part sellers.
                                      They are sending me a replacement it's a part store in the US somewhere, I'd love to have a walk in store like that local to me

Comment

Finally I got the replacement cable but still 7 beeps, what should I test next? :-)

Comment

fix the CPU_VCore circuit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X