This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Greetings from central PA. I fix things, all kinds of things. My latest project is a dead no-name monitor with a bad power supply. The part number brought me here.

Comment

Hi Guys,
      I`m a noob from Denham Springs,La.I am just getting into vintage audio,ie: trying to learn how to solder so I can change blown caps ,transisters ,etc.Been playing with puters for a long time.My 1st was a Pent 90 w/16 mgs ram ,16 bit or 32 .......hmmmm don`t remember Soundblaster ,and a 128 mg Voodo graphics card.Plus a huge 15 inch monitor and of course a dialup modem.I played Everquest on this setup if you can believe it.I still play EQ but on a Bugatti Veyron now not a beatup VW.

Comment

Hey everyone, I am one of the newest members of this lovely community. My name is Alexa, and I am Jacksonville, Florida.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
          I like fixing things instead of throwing them out.
          A dead Dell 2405FPW Monitor bought me here, and I found two possible fixes!
          Thanks everyone.
          Mark

Comment

Re: *****This section is NOT where to start threads asking questions*****

Hi. Can I ask something and where?

Comment

Hi, I´m Roman from Slovakia. Just trying to learn things and how to fix them

Comment

Hi everyone, after scouting through a bunch of google searches I came across this forum. It looks very promising and am looking forward to learning from you and hopefully I can return the favor.

Comment

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been servicing electronics since the late 1970s (I am 57).

I work on repairing and calibrating Ultrasonic NDT test equipment. I enjoy writing calibration and test software in VB and VBA (I really prefer VBA/Access). My software interfaces via GPIB to Tek Scopes, Agilent Attenuator Controller, Agilent function Generators, Bench DVM and PS and then to our instruments via RS232 and performs extensive automatic tests.

Recently, I have been watching repair videos on YouTube to re-expand my knowledge. For the last 37 years, I've had electronics tunnel vision. I wanted to experience how others work on equipment. Both on Jessup's and Louis Rossman's videos they use this BoardView software. I've been discussing this with one of our Engineers and he thinks he can get some of our schematics in to the .brd format out of the Altium cad program he uses although he said it did not work but he is looking in to it. I've downloaded the Windows version of openBoardView and it does NOT run in 32 bit Windows 7 Pro. I thought I would try it. I will have to try it at home tonight in Windows 7 64 Bit Pro and see if it works. I found this forum looking for answers as to why it will not run in 32 bit Windows 7 and has so far, not be successful, but it looks like there could be a lot more information in this forum on electronics and service once I have time to study it.

Anyway, I'm and old fart and noobe at the same time.

Take care,

Dave

Comment

Hey everyone,

My name's Bill, I've been a software developer for about 19 years now, 13 of them professionally. When I say "software developer", I mean everything from the basic 8 bit microcontrollers using Assembly or C to multi-threaded server software to web applications.

I have been playing around with microcontrollers for quite a while now (probably the past 8 years), have zero qualifications, so I guess you could just call me a hobbyist!

I love everything to do with technology, so I'm always interested in learning.

Cheers!

Comment

hi
                      my name is Mihai and i like to mess with anything that has electronic )

Comment

hi

Comment

Yo...

Hey everyone, just checking in. I go by Rydavel in most places on the net. I am self-taught in most areas of computer and electronics repair but have become extremely knowledgeable throughout the last 6-7 years learning all sorts of things from flashing routers so as to make them 2-way compatible on the wireless level, all the way to manipulating android system kernels without "rooting" the device. I feel that I am still quite green but I can definitely fix things and "hack" (in the lighter sense of the word) and that is what I enjoy doing!

Hopefully we can all help each other as much as possible!

Comment

Hi everyone. My name is Zac. I live in Mesa, AZ. I'm a dad to four beautiful children. I work in aerospace. I'm on here trying to repair our living room tv and not having too much luck. If you're gonna go anywhere for help with a tv, this is the place. I've read through a metric ton of threads and tried many things and still no luck. Looking forward to talking with some of you and learning a thing or two. Thanks for creating this site and allowing us guys who enjoy this sort of thing and keeping it alive.

Comment

Hello , 1st post ... might be last
                              I bought an Olevia LT37HVS used 1 yr old in 2007.
                              Have been very happy with this especially after installing a OTA antenna
                              Dropped cable @ 6 yrs ago.
                              probably once a year in the last 5 the TV will shut off . no standby light on.
                              I would unplug and plug in again 2 minutes later. last few times plug in 10 minutes later. And TV would work again.
                              Last night let sit 10 minutes , 30 minutes , then overnight ..... Nada
                              Researched for a new TV. Called a repair shop. Kinda vague and was told Olevia parts difficult to get. Looked on You tube. Came across the most common problem - bad capacitors. Found this site and signed up to see pics of the Olevia boards Kits are relatively cheap from different vendors. Pulled the back off my TV. Hmm, Capacitors looked good. A bit of dust , but I've seen way more inside working computer boxes. More youtube videos. Came across a really low quality one with camera shake. the guy eventually says it needs a vacuuming. I wasn't optimistic , but worth a try on mine.
                              Plug in . Blue Standby light comes on !!!!. RE- Assemble , put TV back in living Room. Darn no light : ( . The cover is a PIA to take on and off. Musta jarred a connection. Got out my dremel tool to notch the back where the Cable and Antenna connectors are.

Success !!!! and Free : )
                              I'll watch for dusty curbside TVs on garbage day

Near Toronto Canada

Comment

Hi, first time member here, but probably ran across some threads while searching. Licensed EE, though never really practiced professionally.

Comment

Hey hi to everyone. I am new member here. My name is Fighter and i am from Pakistan. So u all guys come here and wish me a warm welcome guys

Comment

i have a new bios of dell vostro 3468 how can i upload it on this forum ?
                                    and i need help i dont know how to edit this bios need help?

Comment

Hello all ! I'm a student from France, and i always want to learn something so I'm on this forum !

Comment

Hi there, just hoping to fix my new TV.

Comment

thanks for all the advise ive recieced now have a weird question id like to ask

Comment

Working...
                                          X