Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to unlock Epson projector EMP 835

Hello
    If someone, somehow knows how to unlock an Epson Projector EMP 835 his/her suggestions would be more than appreciated. The person who brought it to my shop told me a story that involved a party thrown by his sister while he was absent, finding that his projector was locked after that party, and than a "hard lock" after he tried for a few hours to punch in some codes. He seems quite a decent person, I know a few things about him (small town indeed), nice middle class background, sort of bourgeois family, definitely does not look like a robber, and that Espson reached its end of life and is massively out of date to be shop lifted from somewhere.
    I cannot seem to find the PW Reset or NMI test points on the mother board. So any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Re: Help to unlock Epson projector EMP 835

Have you tried.

https://files.support.epson.com/doci...g_buttons.html
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Thanks for advice. It does not work. I cannot unlock the menu. I am convinced that it is completely locked due to numerous (more than) 30 attempts. It seems this model has a counter for the number of attempts. After 30 attempts it locks itself. And i need to reset it somehow. Still looking, once again thank.

Comment

I don't think that's the purpose of the lock.... ie. to permanent lock one out of the projector. Its purpose is to prevent "malicious fingers" from disturbing events as opposed to some one stealing the unit to use at another location.

Anyways, do you have the manual for the unit? Do you have the remote?
        "it does not work" ... doesn't provide much information. What actually happens when you make the attempted method that was suggested?

OOPS... I see further that a password lock is possible as opposed just a "key / button lock". I would appear that depending on the response that you are seeing, you are travelling down the road to epson support land... :-)
        Last edited by budwich; 09-20-2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

The owner provided me with the the remote. The user manual has been downloaded by me. Cannot find a service manual but I am still looking. The message is the same even after pressing the "enter" button for 7 seconds: password protect. the projector operation will be locked. contact...
          Also tried to enter the AS menu with menu-esc-esc-right-left combination similar with other epson projectors. It does not work. Suggested owner to contact epson for a key as it happened in some other similar situations. He does not have the receipts and in such a circumstance was not provided with the unlock code, or any other help. He is not to blame for not keeping the receipts for more than 10 years (product launched in 2004). Who would have thought?
          Now the option of returning the projector is the most obvious given the fact that my shop is full of bad Acers$$ and HPpp laptops. And some Onky00 amps with DTS chips unsoldered. Still I am not conviced that i have done everything to my fullest. That is why I am asking for help. Some shematics or a service manual will be also of help.
          Last edited by bios321; 09-20-2017, 01:15 PM. Reason: incomplete message

Comment

ok... thanks... sorry for your situation. Good extra information at least provides what you have tried and how along with the results. Of course, you have tried pushing the "NUM" key on the remote along with entering the default "0000".

Further, what screen is displayed at initial turn on... password prompt????

Comment

It used to be the four corners on the Epson's at my last place.

Comment

#budwich
                Tried NUM +0000, NUM+1793, message is the same: "password protect. the projector operation will be locked. contact..." Also this message is shown as the initial screen. Practically, it starts with this message, there is no other screen. Whatever I do it seems I am stuck. I cannot reach the password prompt.
                Someone suggested the "hammer" approach: to find the reset points on the motherboard (seems like an acupuncture ). Hope to find a service manual or some schematics.

Guys, to all of you, I really thank you for trying to help me. I mean it!
                Last edited by bios321; 09-20-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

does it have an eeprom??

Comment

Hello stj. Great suggestion. Shorting SCL SDA like in Samsung tv sets, might work. Thank you. I will give a try. Do you have something else in your mind, a different solution?
                    Last edited by bios321; 09-21-2017, 03:04 AM.

Comment

i had reading it in mind.

Comment

Is there a possibility to reach the After Service menu in the EMP 835 projector if it is hard locked? I have some second thoughts shorting the pins of the eeprom circuit. And I am not entirely sure that menu-esc-esc-right-left is the proper combination for getting to AS menu for EMP 835.

Comment

I have managed to get to the eeprom. It was well hidden on a second, smaller board underneath the main board. It is a ATN 45db041b SI. The data sheet is here https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...f880c46fa6.pdf. It is the CASON type. There seems to be a reset pin. I have 0 experience with such eeproms. Any suggestions? What can I do that will not involve a complicated procedure to rewrite the eeprom?
                          Last edited by bios321; 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM. Reason: incomplete info

Comment

that's probably got the system firmware on it, so dont do any pin shorting!

Comment

Sir I am out of ideas at this very moment. And it is frustrating.

Comment

STJ what do you think about that ATN 45db041b SI reset pin? There are two question marks generated by the following info form the data sheet:
                                1 . The data sheet says When power is first applied to the device, or when recovering from a reset condition, the device will default to SPI Mode 3
                                2. The data sheet says that the chip has a Hardware Data Protection Feature
                                So the firmware will be protected in case of a reset? Or the reset will blow the firmware up, high in the sky?
                                How would you proceed?

Comment

reset wont wipe the firmware,
                                  but messing with it will stop the unit starting up.

search for a service manual for it or a similar model.

Comment

is it like this?

Comment

Thanks STJ. I am out of the city for a couple of days, so I will return to my" shop problem" by Friday.

Comment

I have powered the unit on connected GND to Reset, with some wires (previously soldered to those two pins) for a few seconds, tried again for a few times nothing happens, the image turns upside down, there are a few glitters but the system gives me the same message password protect. I have returned the projector to its owner. Anyway thanks guys for your help.
                                        Last edited by bios321; 10-20-2017, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X