Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best practice - diode mode or powered on voltage testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best practice - diode mode or powered on voltage testing?

I'm curious if using diode mode for troubleshooting is faster/easier/reliable compared to voltage testing to locate areas of fault?

By diode mode I mean, device off, red probe on ground and black probe at inputs/outputs and if meter shows 0v then indicates a short

Recently I was troubleshooting a Plasma tv and I used diode mode to pinpoint shorted IGBTs on the X main board. Normally I'd power on and check for missing voltages but didn't want to deal with the risk

Curious on other's input and reasons for how they troubleshoot

Re: Best practice - diode mode or powered on voltage testing?

If testing PSU outputs, I prefer to just measure the voltage first. Reason being is that you get instant information if the PSU is working or not.

If measuring the output of a PSU in diode mode, sometimes low-resistance discharge/dummy load resistors (like 47 Ohms or less) can fool you into thinking there is a short-circuit (especially if your meter has diode mode combined with continuity, like many cheap meters do). If not that, sometimes large caps can take a long time to charge in reverse when you place your probes on the PSUs outputs. This means your meter may show a "short-circuit" for several seconds before the caps charge. If you don't wait for that, then you may erroneously conclude that something is shorted when it isn't.

Comment

For me, that would depend on what I am repairing and what the fault is.

Comment

huntron tracker would be a better way .. one of those things i still need to build .

Comment

Working...
        X