ASUS DSBF-DE Dual 771 dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS DSBF-DE Dual 771 dead?

I acquired an Asus DSBF-DE dual Xeon Socket 771 mainboard recently. The board is "dead", doesn´t start as I was told. So why not give it a try?

First I removed the heatsinks to find the thermal compound was dry and shrunk under the northbridge heatsink while it had dropped down to the bottom under the southbridge´s heatsink. (This of course is not the reason for not starting up.)
    I nevertheless cleaned everything and applied some fresh thermal grease.

Next I found a pin in one of the LGA sockets that had been bent over backwards, some more pins were out of position.
    I adjusted everything as good as possible. Fortunately the bent pin did not break so far.

Right beside the first RAM-slot in the voltage regulator section there was a "TK" 820uF 6.3V that was bulged and had only a capacity of 9 nF left (see northbridge picture).
    I replaced this one and most of the other 820uF TKs with Rubycon ZLH.
    I looked up some Pictures of this board on the net and most of them have Panasonics whrere there are TKs on my board.

Next I have to dig ot some socket 771 xeons and some 667 MHz FB-DIMM in the basement to give it a try.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Majestyk; 07-08-2015, 03:12 AM.

Re: ASUS DSBF-DE Dual 771 dead?

So this is not going to be "piece of cake"

I tested the board with 2 x 2 GB FB-DIMM and 2 Xeons E5410.
    It started up, which is a progress, I was also able to update the BIOS from 1003 to 1006 so the Xeons are recognized properly now.

But only one CPU is detected (the one in socket 2), the second one stays cold.
    When (gently!) bending the damaged pin of the first LGA 771 socket back and adjusting it, the tip broke off.

It is Pin "G19", the datasheet says this is

Name: "DSTBP2#"
    Signal Buffer Type: "Source Sync"
    Direction: "Input / Output"

I have no idea, HOW essential this is for Operation??

Then I found out there´s no core voltage for CPU1. One of the MOSFETS has a short between Gate and Source. It´s a "IPB06N03LA". I desoldered it and ordered a replacement.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Majestyk; 07-12-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Re: ASUS DSBF-DE Dual 771 dead?

hi! do you still have this board?

I'd like to have the values of some capacitors, because I've bought one which has been "repaired" by a dumb.....!

thanks!

regards!

Comment

Working...
      X