Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing capacitors on Gainward GTX Titan, which ones to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing capacitors on Gainward GTX Titan, which ones to choose?

Hi all,

I should be replacing capacitors on my graphics card. The current ones are:
    A3
    OCRZ
    16V

Height and diameter are both 8mm. Which capacitors should I buy to replace them?

From Nichicon I found these, would they do?
    RL81C271MDN1PX
    At least size would be the same..

Thanks

Re: Replacing capacitors on Gainward GTX Titan, which ones to choose?

what's wrong with the old ones?

Comment

Well, the card does not work in games any more. It's ok to boot to windows and desktop use, but when starting any game with 3d graphics, the computer freezes with gray screen. Then need to power off the pc and restart it to get it up and running again. I was just thinking that when 3d graphics starts, then the card starts pulling much more watts than in desktop use, and capacitors are needed to supply it. So that lead me to suspect that there might be issues with capacitors.

Comment

got any pictures?
        i'm sure the original caps will be polymer, i'd be looking in your psu first!!!

Comment

Here's a pic of the capacitors.

Regardng the PSU of the computer, I have tested the PC using GTX 460 card, and everything was working fine with that card. Also the height of the capacitor is important as there is a heatsink which does not allow for any taller capacitors

Comment

Lelon OC-CON polymer caps,
            they shouldnt degrade.

Comment

u can try recapping if u want but dont expect it to work. the issue u are getting is more of a failing gpu chip rather than bad caps. i had a couple of failing gpus before that work fine in 2d but if u run anything 3d, it either freezes or crashes instantly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                This is kind of hobby project, as I already have a new graphics card on my pc. In case I wanted to practice and try to change the capacitors still, just for fun, so which capacitors are ok? Would the nichicon RL81C271MDN1KX be ok?

How is the quality of Lelon nowadays, are they ok?
                I read from the forum that at least previously Lelon made some bad quality caps?

Comment

i have never seen bad lelon's

but we are talking polymers here anyway - references to bad caps are about liquid-filled electrolytics.

Comment

could be another bad component dropping voltage when the GPU starts to pull a certain amount of amperage. but diagnostic for that kind of thing would be very difficult
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

not really, if the card is using just external power cables and not drawing via the pci-e slot then a dc clampmeter could see the level.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        not really, if the card is using just external power cables and not drawing via the pci-e slot then a dc clampmeter could see the level.
                        I mean to find the specific fet that's doing it
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

stick your finger or a thermocouple on them - a bad one will get hotter

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                            u can try recapping if u want but dont expect it to work. the issue u are getting is more of a failing gpu chip rather than bad caps. i had a couple of failing gpus before that work fine in 2d but if u run anything 3d, it either freezes or crashes instantly.
                            This. ^

You likely have a failing video card, and there's not much you can do about it. You can try to reflow it, but it may or may not fix the issue (and the fix may not last long.)

If you want to practice recapping, don't waste your time and caps on this card - it's hard to learn on them if you never done it before, because they have very thick copper traces and will sink heat away from your iron very quickly. So unless you really have a good iron, chances are you will struggle. Thus, if you want to practice recapping, grab an older motherboard or a PSU known for bad caps, and recap that instead. PSUs are probably the easiest to work on, so I recommend starting with that. You will also end up with a reliable test PSU afterwards (that is, if it's a known good brand PSU, of course.)

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and comments.
                              Ok, sounds like just better let this card go and move on
                              And practise with PSU first, if want to have some soldering experience.

Comment

Well, if you are thinking of throwing it away, consider listing it on eBay or your local classifieds/auction sites for cheap. Some people do buy them for their heatsinks or even to attempt to reflow them (which sometimes can fix the card back, though the fix is usually temporary.) Or are you going to keep it as a decor ornament? I know I have a few cards like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake77 View Post
                                  Well, the card does not work in games any more. (...) but when starting any game with 3d graphics, the computer freezes with gray screen. Then need to power off the pc and restart it to get it up and running again. I was just thinking that when 3d graphics starts, then the card starts pulling much more watts than in desktop use, and capacitors are needed to supply it. So that lead me to suspect that there might be issues with capacitors.
                                  No, there is more to it.
                                  I have a similar card but didn't bother with it.

The Problem you have right now is that you do not know if the Chips degraded or the Powersupply for the Chip.

And for that you might need a scope and know how to use it on a GPU...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                    The Problem you have right now is that you do not know if the Chips degraded or the Powersupply for the Chip.

And for that you might need a scope and know how to use it on a GPU...
                                    Whaaaaaat??!

The GPU "VRMs" either supply power properly or they don't at all. There is no such thing as "degraded [VRM] chips". GPU is just dead/dying (mechanical solder failure between core and substrate). Make no more or less out of it. In rare cases, you may have tin whisker growth between traces on the PCB or the GPU BGA, or some via failing... but again, that is rare.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 04-09-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X