• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The hard drive failure thread

What was the problem???

Comment

was a failed hard drive i took out of a ps3 or a hard drive from a xbox 360 that i think i killed the hard drive from.
      My Computer.
      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

After a power outage and a few hours of operation, my 70K-hour drive appeared to have kicked the bucket

Still not 100% convinced it's dead but it it just got kicked from the RAID array for I/O errors. Though I have had this happen before due to a bad cable...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          After a power outage and a few hours of operation, my 70K-hour drive appeared to have kicked the bucket

Still not 100% convinced it's dead but it it just got kicked from the RAID array for I/O errors. Though I have had this happen before due to a bad cable...
          I hope he isn't dead yet! What great service from that drive

Comment

I took the drive out and tested it, it still looks like it works. One pass of read-only badblocks = PASS. One pass of non-destructive (eh, technically, who cares if it's nondestructive or not) badblocks passed too...

I reintroduced it into the array told the machine to dump back onto that disk... it's still holding up!

Hmm... Really need to replace my cables perhaps. Usually when a disk fails I see a lot of retries but the disk disappeared hence thinking it was due to cables...

but hooray, it's still alive! What's the chances... 100K hours?

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/node/541770

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                Ok, this clears things up. A link I found on a thread about this exact topic on their forum:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1058

So they have a "drop-shipper" for them in my Province who signals them that I have actually sent the package and that they have received it, and then they signal WD in California to send the replacement drive, and when WD actually receives the drive, they apply the actual warranty period. I'm confident that the local drop-shipper actually opens the package and verifies you have sent the proper drive and it is indeed eligible for RMA before giving the OK signal.

Now to check if I can get a replacement for that nearly brand new Caviar Blue I got out of an Acer where the customer couldn't wait for the RMA so he just paid for a new drive (Another Caviar Blue - yea yea I know... But WD is still the most consistent in my opinion).
                Just a heads up --

Keep on top of Western Digital when you RMA the drive and make sure you take screenshots of the original warranty from their site (The warranty check on the original drive will eventually change to "out of warranty").

It's been almost 8 months and WD has NOT updated the warranty on the replacement drive which is now showing as "out of warranty".

I think it's been more than three months now that it's taken to receive any reply from them after I've opened two support tickets:
                Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Tiana.

I write as a follow-up in order to confirm if this particular case has been resolved, or if additional support is required. If you have any further request for assistance, please Let us know, so we may assist you adequately.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.
                My Reply:
                Nice try.

The original warranty was until 19/8/2014. The replacement drive you sent me is showing that the warranty ended 23/3/2013.

This is hardly what I would call resolved.

I will be G-D willing posting a summary of this warranty transaction in a technical forum to inform others of the transpiration of deceptive practices at WD RMA, not to mention the many months now it has taken to even receive a reply from you.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Update:
                  So I have consulted this with my lead. We have gone ahead and corrected the issue. Your warranty has been updated, and, instead of having an expiration date of 19/08/2014, your new expiration date is 28/06/2015. I hope that this gesture has restored the faith you have in our product and our customer support.
                  So, for this "mixup" she gave me an extra year of warranty. The truth is, I don't even have this hard drive, and I will probably never even see this hdd again because the guy I sent it in for said he didn't even want to use the laptop it was going into but rather wanted to purchase a new one. So it's probably sitting in that laptop on some shelf somewhere collecting dust. The point is that this whole endeavour wasn't worth the hassle. WD ought to have a functional automated system like Seagate when it comes to RMA. I RMA'd a Samsung drive to Seagate and had absolutely no problems whatsoever and the whole process was incredibly smooth.

Duly, I responded as such:
                  I'll be honest with you Tiana, I don't trust or like WD, even after this gesture, and just to let you know, this isn't personal but rather geared towards your employer. But I would have continued buying WD regardless if they would have resolved the issue or not. The fact of the matter is that WD has a duopoly with Seagate, and Seagate's newer drives are garbage, which leaves me with either WD Blue or WD Black as the only drives I like to purchase.

If your company wants to know whether I now believe that their actions are out of innocence rather than malice, no, to believe that I am that stupid is insulting. Obviously WD is playing a game of warranty expiration with remanufactured drives, just as vendors sell products with mail-in-rebates with the hope that only a portion of the consumers actually take advantage of the rebate.

The difference being that rebates are legal, but warranty fraud on part of the manufacturer isn't.

Now Seagate is a lot more honest than you, but their newer generation of drives are awful. I'll take a dishonest WD with good drives over an honest Segate anyday.

The fact of the matter is that WD has grown too big, and this is what happens when government doesn't enforce antitrust laws.

-WD consumer for 20 or so years.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

HDD Hall of Fail

This is a new thread im creating for people to post their HDD failures or drives that are starting to fail..

Il start..

Just today my WD blue 500GB drive has started to fail , it has served me well for around 2 years of constant usage.

ps. It would be nice if you could post pictures of SMART data or tell a little description of how it died
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: HDD Hall of Fail

You could also post a report file, don't most SMART monitors have that capability? Plus we'd see all the data available, not just one window of it.

Comment

Re: HDD Hall of Fail

Originally posted by blasterboomer View Post
                        This is a new thread im creating for people to post their HDD failures or drives that are starting to fail..

Il start..
                        I've moved your thread here hoping to breathe some live in this old thread
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Good idea, thanks.

Comment

Pulled this drive from my brother's old laptop yesterday, "I don't want to use it because it's slow".

Toshiba MK3275GSX, failed from bad sectors. Made on Feb 29th, 2012. Surprised the thing even let me load Windows, with 11,000 reallocated sectors.

Anyone ever had good luck to Toshiba? I've come around to using the name Toshita, I've never had a Toshiba drive last more than 2 years of use, even if it's a stationary laptop.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Compgeke; 10-03-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

The very first busted laptop I ever looked at was a T1100 in late 80s. Gave me a bad impression of laptops right off the bat. Boashit is an acronym of Toshiba.

Comment

I know Backblaze rate the Toshiba above other drives. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
                                Drives tend to fail more in laptops than desktops due to the bumps they get. An ideal time to upgrade to an SSD, for speed and reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post

Sounds like maybe a failed diode on the HDD board.....
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    Sounds like maybe a failed diode on the HDD board.....
                                    Impossible. The drive is still working.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                                      Anyone ever had good luck to Toshiba? I've come around to using the name Toshita, I've never had a Toshiba drive last more than 2 years of use, even if it's a stationary laptop.
                                      The data recovery professionals favour Toshiba and Hitachi drives at the moment. Seagate's 2TB and 3TB DM drives are at the bottom of the heap, although their 4TB drives appear to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by fzabkar View Post
                                        Impossible. The drive is still working.
                                        So, it's still working.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                          So, it's still working.
                                          Exactly what do you mean? Are you suggesting that a drive with a shorted TVS diode will still function? Or do you believe that an open TVS diode (I've never seen this BTW) will somehow affect the drive's performance?
                                          Last edited by fzabkar; 10-03-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X