Dell Vostro 3360 no power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Vostro 3360 no power on

Check resistance on pin 4 of Q24, PQ2 and PQ23. If resistance is high, remove PU6 and check resistance again on PL6

Comment

Many thanks for your patience!

Pin 4:
      Q24 = 9,6 Mohm
      PQ 2 = 8,3 kohm
      PQ23= 64 ohm

Comment

Remove PQ23 and check resistance on pads

Comment

PQ23:
          pin 1= 22 ohm
          pin 2= 22 ohm
          pin 3 = 60 Mohm
          pin 4 = 63 ohm
          pin 5 = 22 ohm
          pin 6 = 22 ohm

Comment

If you haven't removed processor, remove it and check again resistance on pin 4 of PQ23

Comment

I can't remove CPU, this is welded to the board

What should be the value on PQ23 pin 4
              Last edited by bicalov; 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM. Reason: question

Comment

Much more higher. I am afraid of multiple problems on the 3.3v rail (both sides 3.3v always and 3.3v run)
                Last edited by atsio; 06-29-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Forget about this mobo?

Comment

I am not saying that. The price for a replacement one, is quite high. You do not have a mean of injecting voltage to the lines to see what is getting hot and that makes it difficult to find shorts (specially on the 3.3v run line). On the 3.3n always suspects are the fets of PU7, PU6 and KBC. On the 3.3v run there are a lot of suspects (with main suspect CPU).
                    And probably you will need a bga station (I do not know if you have one).

Comment

I understand, the price for a replacement is truly very expensive, but I don't have a bga station and Lab power supply for injection voltage. So I don't have much of a chance to fix this. The funds to buy the equipment is not available at the moment.
                      Can you explain how to inject voltage on the lines to check for shortage? That will be the final try for me, since we do so much already. I will create something to imitate a Lab supply.

Comment

I believe the idea is something like this:

Find the place where the shorted rail originates from (eg: the output side of the inductor) and connect your power supply positive rail there. Connect the negative to ground on the board.

Removing the inductor so power doesn't end up going back into the supply circuitry or whatever might be a smart idea too.

Then, power up the supply (with current limiting and low voltage) and keep increasing the current until something gets hot. Don't exceed the voltage that the rail operates on normally.

You can check if things are hot with the back of your finger (imprecise), an IR thermal camera (expensive), or brushing some alcohol onto the board and seeing where it evaporates from the quickest. Or with sufficient current, see which component goes up in smoke (not recommended, burning parts can sometimes burn holes in the PCB)
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks agent24, I understand what to do. I will make myself a PSU first.

Comment

Originally posted by bicalov View Post
                            Thanks agent24, I understand what to do. I will make myself a PSU first.
                            You will need something with adjustable current limiting and without short-circuit protection.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

hi,
                              can any one share me the bios file for dell vostro 3360......

Comment

Have you tried Dell website?
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

hi please I need bios bin fils for Dell Vostro 3360

Comment

Working...
                                  X