Geocities go bye-bye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geocities go bye-bye

no, if microcrap bought them, then anybody not using the latest version of windows would get banned and deleted. i love linux do its anything but hotmail for me
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Its an old saying, "The Best Things In Life Are Free!" Guess what? This is nolonger true. It takes time and money to keep any server up and going. Just ask these people here who manage this Badcaps site. Back in the past I used a few "free" P2P sites. Yes I could get anything that I wanted on these sites but I also got all the virus, and addware that I could handle. Now this isn't the issue that you have, but for me, I said the hell with it and went all "legal" on the software end a few years ago.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

well ubuntu is free and they are still around. they make money off paid tech support (the kind depolyed to large OEMs like dell) and special ultra advanced projects. its not that free software=bankrupt, but free software= make oney elsewhere. after all, it is just data on a disc.

so ultimately the best things are free to the average user.
        sigpic

Comment

i dumped geocities back in 2001
          and i dumped yahoo mail in 2008 for gmail

in 1997 geocities was the rage
          well... now im on x10hosting

and i couldnt be happier with gmail googleadsensing my email for ads......
          well, thats why i have firefox w/ adblock, noscript, requestpolicy

Comment

i dont like ubuntu personally, i found it to be crap

i prefer enterprise class linux (rh, fedora, madriva, + freebsd)

Comment

Originally posted by blowing_in_the_watts
              i dumped geocities back in 2001
              and i dumped yahoo mail in 2008 for gmail

in 1997 geocities was the rage
              well... now im on x10hosting

and i couldnt be happier with gmail googleadsensing my email for ads......
              well, thats why i have firefox w/ adblock, noscript, requestpolicy
              i have an account at x10, but it is long dead as i never had time to build a site

i dumped y! mail aroud the same time you did...

my solution to googlesensing? either:

A. use a POP or better yet, IMAP client for your mail...

or

B. don't look at the ads! look at your email!

so, i use evolution for my mail and when i have to use gmail to view them, i simply ignore the ads... i didn't notice them until someone mentioned them a few months ago...
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X