Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're looking for a solid 550W PSU, check this out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking for a solid 550W PSU, check this out.

I came across these PSU's looking for a couple of Delta's.. They're Sun Workstation pulls, that have the 24 pin main ATX connector, and the 8 pin +12V connector. They have two circuit boards inside, filled to the brim with big inductors and transformers, and plentiful output capacitance. The heatsinks are massive and one has a coppery bronze plate on it.. They have one 80mm Nidec Beta SL cooling fan and Active PFC. The output caps are OST, which obviously aren't as good as Nichicon or Rubycon, but i'd say they're better than Fuyjhyuiu or whatever the ones are that are frying the Antec PSU's right now.

I was attempting to upload some pics, but it timed out. Stupid Dialup.. Anyway, just a heads up to the community if you're looking for a good 550W PSU for ~$30.. They're pulls from Sun workstations, i'd say probably dual Xeon ones..

Ooops, almost forgot the link...

http://www.hypermicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=PSAB001

Re: If you're looking for a solid 550W PSU, check this out.

Damn, wish I would have waited for your reply. That is exactly what I'm looking for, for a third of what I paid for the Zippy

Comment

So if you stuck some Panasonic FC's or something along those lines in there, you'd have something!

-goes off to buy one-
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Could you try making the pics smaller and then uploading, or telling us more about this PSU? I'm considering buying one for my next build - I won't have the money to build the PC for another few months, but I think I should grab one before they're gone. $30 for such a good PSU seems too good to be true though.

Comment

I've got one sitting over here, if I get some time I'll upload some pics, if the OP doesn't get around to it.

Comment

Can the 8-pin EPS12V plug fit on a board with the 4-pin P4 socket, if you overlap the plug? It looks like I might have room for an overlap, but I don't know if that's keyed to work. Searching for info on 8-pin psu's to 4-pin boards is frustrating - everybody else out there is trying to do the opposite.

Comment

It did on the board I tested it with, which was a Biostar Tforce 7025-M2. The little snag is that the clip is in the middle, which is in the wrong location for a 4 pin plug. So you'll need to find another method for securing it.

But yeah, if you've got room for it, it works.

Comment

Are you sure these are pulls? They look new to me, they say they have 200 in stock and I don't think it'd be easy to acquire 200 working pulls.

Anyway, you're saying replace everything but the hugeass filter caps with Pana FC's and you've have an excellent PSU?

Comment

Personally, I'd put Panasonic FM's in there as the unit is well cooled, as they have lower ESR. Probably the thing to do would be to look up the specs on the type of OST's in there, and find the Panasonic line that most closely matches that.

I have yet to try recapping one of mine (I bought 2) so I couldn't tell you how they work recapped. However, they do seem to work quite well the way they are. Of course, longevity is suspect, in my opinion, due to the OST's.

Comment

Are the OST output caps those stupid 10mm 4700uF craps?
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

And if so do they have room for 12.5mm caps there?

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

On the top PCB, we have 2200uF, 16v, and 3300uF, 10v. Those are all OST RLS. There's a couple JPCE-TUR 1000uF 10v units. The OST's are all 10mm diameter and pretty well bunched together. Also height may be a factor as they're getting fairly close to the lid. You've got probably another 8mm of height to work with, not much more.

See here for the OST data:
                        http://www.ost.com.tw/products_ec_list.asp

Then click on RLS.

Interestingly, the 16v 2200uF unit in 10mm diameter is not even on their data sheet.

Recapping this unit may be trickey.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
                          Personally, I'd put Panasonic FM's in there as the unit is well cooled, as they have lower ESR. Probably the thing to do would be to look up the specs on the type of OST's in there, and find the Panasonic line that most closely matches that.
                          +1
                          fm are fine and easily gotten.

Comment

I have com across OST that aren't in the data sheets before.
                            Dunno if they are custom parts or counterfeits.

That's cool about the sizes.
                            10mm 3300uF and below in good caps aren't impossible to find.
                            - As in they at least exist...

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Probably have to go to Samxon though, no?

Comment

I have some in MBZ

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

The problem with 10mm in a power supply is you really should be using a longer life, non aqueous cap. I have a feeling 2000 hr ultra low esr aqueous caps, even good ones, are not going to last long. Finding a long life 2200uf 16v in 10mm is a bitch. You can get them in a Ruby ZL, but thats about it.

Comment

I have 22,000 MBZ

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I don't think I'll run out of MBZ any time soon.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                        I have 22,000 MBZ
                                        you hit the same deal i did.
                                        lifetime supply even after selling a load to other techs i deal with.
                                        did you get any 1800@16 mcz?

Comment

Working...
                                        X