Nvidia GTX980Ti and GTX780 shorted memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia GTX980Ti and GTX780 shorted memory

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right section but my issue could also happen in laptop (mostly gaming one).
    Basically I have two graphics card with similar design, I've got an issue on memory on both, resistance between ground and the memory power plane is shorted (like around 0.5ohms instead of 50~100ohms), coild are removed so the issue is not on the power delivery side, I'm using a really funky design to power this power plane (18650 cell and small cable) to get around 1~1.5v on this power plane (I don't have any lab power supply yet) and nothing is getting really hot, the only thing getting warm is the core itself, like memory chip aren't heating up as fast as the core (which is still heating very slow), and this is the case on both card, I already pull out two memory chip on the 980 Ti and the resistance increase a bit (from 0.1ohm to 0.4ohms) but now it's time for the chip to getting warm...

I don't really know what to think about it, I don't know what happen on the 780 before because I bought it like that, with a burned coil and shorted mosfet (on memory power plane), however there was a 2.2ohms shunt resistor between the mosfet and the 12v power plane, so that was limiting the current and the voltage across the memory/core (imc), right ? like nearly 12v was across the shunt resistor and nearly 0v across the memory/core ?

For the 980 Ti, it was working but it was power throttling, one of the two memory power phase (mosfet) was shorted BUT shunt resistance of this shorted phase was not 0ohms but 10k, so same as the 780, memory/core(imc) were protected because the shunt resistor endorse the load, right ?

Thanks you for all your responses
Working...
X