MSI Z77A-G45 SMD caps dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Z77A-G45 SMD caps dead

Hi, I have the 2nd PCIE x16 of my MSI Z77A-G45 not working, below it I can see a SMD capacitor which is burned, I can fix that but I don't know what capacitor use, should I use random caps with the same size ?
    Here the capacitor (just below the "SFC" thing)

Thanks for help :jap:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-16-2017, 02:21 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Re: MSI Z77A-G45 SMD caps dead

That "SFC" thing is a coil/inductor. So there might be a buck regulator in that area, which is what the ceramic cap could belong to.

That said, I don't see the burned ceramic cap in your photo, so it is hard to say what to use.

I used to do the "replace with similar size" for ceramic caps a few years back when I didn't have a capacitance meter, and I've never had it not work. (To say it another way, I've had good success with that method).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      That said, I don't see the burned ceramic cap in your photo, so it is hard to say what to use.
      Look at the lower left of the SFC inductor, where it's PCB outline is.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Ah, I see it now. Had to zoom in the picture.

I suppose the O/P should take it out and see if it is shorted or if there is something else going on.

Would also be helpful to do a little tracing. Is the ceramic cap's function related to filtering power or signal? Is one side of the ceramic cap connected to ground? Is the other connected to voltage rail? Regulated or directly to PSU? That should give us a clue to what the cap might be doing and how critical it would be to get something with the similar specs or just wing it (and use a cap of similar size).

Comment

It doesn't look like a capacitor to me, maybe it's a 0402 resistor or inductor, is it connected to ground?.

Comment

No i think it is a cap, likely in parallel with the larger one next to it. Not a real problem to just leave it out...
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hai ,I have m/b msi Z77A-GD65 but having problem on/off power when start button is press.checked the ram voltage 1.5 and 0.075 ok.can someone support the schematics diagram.
              Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
              X