Samsung LN40B500P3F screen goes black every few seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN40B500P3F screen goes black every few seconds

Hello folks, as the title states, the TV's picture will drop to a black screen every few seconds and the picture will come back intermittently. There is audio the whole time, and it's not a signal issue, as it does this in all modes even with the signal cables unplugged.

I've opened it up and found that one of the inverter transformers was getting very toasty, it had black char marks (part QGAH02095). If I just replace this part is it likely to just fail again in the near future? Does it have anything to do with the light tubes? If I need to replace the tubes, how would I go about that, and where could I get them? Has anybody had the same issue, is it worth fixing? Pictures attached.

Any advice is welcome, Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LN40B500P3F screen goes black every few seconds

I have seen this before, many times its the blue one that goes bad, sometimes it's just the transformers insulation that breaks down and it shorts, spend the $6.00 and replace it
    Last edited by R_J; 07-22-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      I have seen this before, many times its the blue one that goes bad, sometimes it's just the transformers insulation that breaks down and it shorts, spend the $6.00 and replace it
      Thanks RJ! I'll give it a shot, worth a 6 dollar gamble. haha I'll check other components while I wait for the part to come.

Comment

I've replaced this part before with no other issues. If you order the part from China, it could take 3-6 months to get past customs in Canada so would recommend that you purchase from a North American seller.

Would also recommend recapping the 8 larger electrolytic capacitors.
        Last edited by neilc6; 07-22-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I have never had any problems with customs and parts from China, especially with cheap parts, it takes a while usually a few weeks if they use postal service.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
            I've replaced this part before with no other issues. If you order the part from China, it could take 3-6 months to get past customs in Canada so would recommend that you purchase from a North American seller.

Would also recommend recapping the 8 larger electrolytic capacitors.
            Thanks for the advice. Canada customs can be crazy at times. Sometimes I get Chinese packages in 2.5 weeks, other times it's 4 months. All the north american sellers have this at $20 vs $5 from hong kong. I might need a backup TV in that time, hah

Comment

You can sometimes speed it up: this seller https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Inverter-Tra...-/251243358376
              Economy International Shipping 12-43 days
              $4.00 extra for Standard International Shipping 11-22 days

I just ordered some parts from Laval QC, $60.00 shipping for under a pound envelope Puralator
              Digikey, from the USA next day $8.00!

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                You can sometimes speed it up: this seller https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Inverter-Tra...-/251243358376
                Economy International Shipping 12-43 days
                $4.00 extra for Standard International Shipping 11-22 days

I just ordered some parts from Laval QC, $60.00 shipping for under a pound envelope Puralator
                Digikey, from the USA next day $8.00!
                Thanks for this link, I ordered from an ebay seller that uses "speedpak" whatever that is, but customs still holds on to it just to be difficult sometimes. I LOVE digikey, I have digikey boxes all over the place here. lol

Here's an interesting link regarding crazy shipping delays, Canada Post blames Customs, and customs blames Canada post.
                https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-po...lays-1.3447438
                Last edited by mike_drz; 07-22-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I finally got the replacement part in today. I soldered it onto the board and put the board back in to the TV. No more flickering backlight, BUT now it sounds like an electric razor due to buzzing from the board whenever the backlight is on.

It's hard to tell which transformer it is coming from, but I used a non contact style probe to narrow it down a bit. The noise is loudest in the area's highlighted in yellow. The thermistors also get pretty warm, not sure how hot those should get. I let it run like that for 15 minutes or so and tapped all the transformers with the plastic end of a screw driver. It didn't change the sound. The transformer near the middle was warm to the touch but not super hot.

Yes I know it's been a while, but thanks to my country's postal service, they didn't get around to delivering my package for months.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mike_drz; 09-12-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X