Pulled polymer cap still attached to the MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled polymer cap still attached to the MB

Got on hand a motherboard that has a small polymer cap knocked slightly out of place (still attached). It is just surface mounted (no holes) and due to other components in the area is next to impossible to de-solder using an iron. Would it have any chance to work if I manage to pull back the legs all the way inside?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I'm not so familiar with the inner workings of the polymer caps.

Re: Pulled polymer cap still attached to the MB

no.
    the cap is probably damaged internally

Comment

Funny, I was doing exactly this to "fix" "accidentally" broken LIQUID electrolytic capacitors...

... that was before I learned what ESR is...

Comment

If the cap is knocked enough that one of its leads is broken and/or not making contact anymore, just rip it out and use a regular radial leaded electrolytic cap with its leads soldered onto the spot of the SMD cap. Easy way to get this repaired without hot air.

Also, for stubborn SMD caps, I often find that removing them with brute-force is easier and (surprisingly) less damaging most of the time than trying to desolder them with an iron. My method is, put a flat head screw driver onto the lower plastic piece of the SMD cap and use a hammer to knock the cap off the board. This works only for SMD caps soldered to thick ground and power planes. Otherwise, you run the risk of ripping a board trace.

Comment

Working...
        X