Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at recapping - success!

Hello,

I had a soltek board that had lots of leaking and bulging GSC caps - the system was randomly resetting and occasionally refusing to post.

I just sucessfully recapped the board. It wasn't as hard as I thought but I was sure I'd killed the board as i slipped with the iron a couple of times and left scratches across some traces on the board. However when I plugged it all back in it worked!

I've atttached a few photos of the equipment I used, including my craptastic £10 soldering iron (yes, it's temperature controlled/grounded and yes it took 5 minutes to recover after every 2-3 caps but it is cheap )

I used rubycon caps from farnell, who are actually based in my hometown, Leeds, somthing I never knew before. I found farnell to be better than RS components who only wanted to sell me caps in multiples of 5, farmell sold me the exact number I needed.

No photos of the finished work or during the job, I got too engrossed in the soldering/high on the isopropyl alcohol fumes . The 1000uF rubycon caps were about 2mm wider than the gsc so I had to offet a couple of them, the 2200uF caps were a perfect match. I don't have dental pick but I found soldering braid to be very easy to use and effective.

Any suggestions on a good stress test program to confirm the system is now truly stable are welcome.

regards,

--
    drbob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drbob; 06-24-2005, 10:26 AM.

Re: First attempt at recapping - success!

Looks good, but I hate to say this, you could have saved a few pounds on the caps and emailed Soltek for free caps...

MD
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

glad you had success especially with that POS soldering iron. pity no pics of the recapping. Well Done!!!

be careful with the iron slipping though, thats one way to completely screw it up.

i lived in Leeds for a year, great place.

i would run http://www.memtest86.com/ for a while to check for memory errors, there should be none. take your pick for the cpu tests. i run some prime95 if i cant find the sandra pro cd.
      Last edited by willawake; 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
        Looks good, but I hate to say this, you could have saved a few pounds on the caps and emailed Soltek for free caps...
        Tried that... and received a lovely empty envelope from the Netherlands office of soltek. What the person who stole them could have wanted with some capacitors I do not know - they probably just saw it was electronics (soltek announce this on their company envelopes) and thought it would be expensive.

willawake - I'll take a couple of pics of the finished work when I get a chance.
        Last edited by drbob; 06-24-2005, 11:51 AM.

Comment

received a lovely empty envelope from the Netherlands office of soltek
          that is so bad.......doberman......meet postman..
          Last edited by willawake; 06-24-2005, 01:12 PM.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
          X