Tyan Trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyan Trash

I thought Tyan was a good brand. That was until i bought a used a used Tiger 133 server/workstation board off ebay. It came in the mail only 4 me to find 4 bad caps (all canicon 1000uf 6.3v 8mm), bulged and 3 leaking.

The seller gave me a refund, but he let me keep the board- he said it would cost more to send the board back than it is worth in scrap. He must have not know much about recapping.

Has anybody else had Tyan PIII era boards catch the plague?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Tyan Trash

I've had some S2518 - all Rubycon. [Still have one]
    Have one S2466 [AMD but similar age I think] - all Rubycon and Sanyo.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I didn't know Tyan used Canicon. That sucks. My old Super-7 Tyan board had Sanyos on it. I didn't pay any attention to caps at the time but I noticed much later.

Seems the later P3 days is when everybody started trying to save money on caps. I suppose that's when a glut of cheap ones became available.

Comment

Board may have been previously recapped by someone not Tyan.

Even if not, the board's BIOS dates indicate was built in or before year 2000 and that's before the problems with caps started showing up.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

If it was previously recapped, then the originals were probably also bad. But I have no idea if Tyan is known to use Canicon - the only board of theirs I've ever had was that older Super-7 board.

Even if not, the board's BIOS dates indicate was built in or before year 2000 and that's before the problems with caps started showing up.
          Sure, the board manufacturers probably didn't realize how bad the cheap caps were at that time. But they did make the conscious decision to take a chance on them, and it rightfully came back to bite them. I can understand that happening with ABit or ECS, but not a premium brand like Tyan. People are paying them to use trustworthy parts.

My sister had some bad Canicons on a ~1997 model i430TX PCChips board. Not sure how common that was though, and I didn't know it at the time. But I doubt Canicon had a track record to justify Tyan using their caps.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4775
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I curse that Tyan. I worked on two, both utter failures. I frankly don't understand how people utter wonderful stories about Tyan. I don't. I had actually LEAST problems with other boards like Asus.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by gdement
                If it was previously recapped, then the originals were probably also bad. But I have no idea if Tyan is known to use Canicon - the only board of theirs I've ever had was that older Super-7 board.
                Bad PSU will kill caps.
                Easy enough for someone recapping in say 2000-2003-ish to not know Canicon might be a problem later.
                [That's why I said that.]
                Looking at Willa's post I think they are the stock caps now though.

Originally posted by gdement
                Sure, the board manufacturers probably didn't realize how bad the cheap caps were at that time. But they did make the conscious decision to take a chance on them, and it rightfully came back to bite them.
                In the mindset of the time and with no history at all yet of brand related cap problems I don't see how using TW caps up until maybe late 2001 could be considered to be 'taking a chance'.
                You can only be 'taking a chance' if you know there is a possible problem and at that point no one knew that there might be one.

Same-same with Intel (or anyone else) using the defective Nichicon HM and HN series before the problem was known.

It sux but you can't blame them for not knowing the future.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Haven't been impressed with Asus since the '90's. I got rid of all my Asus boards except two P3 that I simply haven't gotten around to ridding myself of yet. That included a brand new server board where I didn't feel like 'taking a chance' on all the KZG mounted right next to a Prescott CPU.

Typical Asus quality is only average. Hit-n-Miss.
                  Company's attitude towards end-users has been piss poor for years.
                  During the 'great caps plague' Asus intentionally made it hard to get a board RMA'ed even when they knew the specific model had caps problems.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

i recapped a tyan 2507? dual 370 board a local company retired when it was only 6 months old.
                    the replacement died after a tree fell in the primary side of their power transformers and bridged primary to secondary momentarily while the whole mess blew itself up.
                    they were unable to find a replacement quickly so they brought the shakey one to check out.no bulging caps seen but you know its bad when you connect the esr meter to the vrm out caps and read 15 ohms!
                    they were a noname brown "le" and canicon.
                    not a single low esr cap on that board was good!
                    its fine now after a total recap.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ

8 years is a long time for capacitors, even the best. Being a server board its probably led a hard life - it wouldn't surprise me if its a simple case of old age caps.

Comment

the board didnt boot when i tried it- fans only. What pissed me off even more is half of the caps in one size/value/voltage wer Canicon (4 bad) and half were sanyo all of the rest were canicon

it had twin slot 1s on it- model s1834

at least it was utimatlf free- the guy gave me a refund but let me keep the board/processors. hope a recap will save it (right now im using a gigabyte GA-5AX w/ AMD k6-2 533mhz and it is too slow)
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                        X