Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 2.0 Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 2.0 Speakers

I was given these speakers, which have long-travel woofers and give amazing sound BUT the volume potentiometer is shot.

I researched this on a Klipsch board, and the volume pot problem is universal.

The volume pot is marked B503 and B50K.

I found such a dual potentiometer on Mouser. I am assuming that RV122F-20-15F-B50K is the correct replacement. This is a linear rather than an audio pot.

Since I have to dismantle the two-level board anyway, I'd like to replace the caps as well.

They are 470uf 35v Orient brand (2 pieces) 10mm. Note the burned glue at the base, and the top part of the sleeve is missing on one. They are 85C and are right beside a heatsink(!)

Next are 3 pieces 47uf 63v Capxcon 8mm 105C KM series caps

There are 2 pieces 220uf 16v 8mm Orient beside the volume pot.

There are 3 pieces 100uf 16v 6mm between the two boards.

The Orients have no series ID and I assume they are GP.

Can someone suggest suitable replacements and an opinion on the potentiometer replacement? Please see the attachments for more detail.
    Attached Files

Re: Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 2.0 Speakers

Have you tried cleaning the pot with good control cleaner?
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I read on the Klipsch site that the DeOxit fix works for some but not all.
      The DeOxit costs $15-30 plus postage, the Pot costs $3.45. The Klipsch users
      seemed to feel the original pot was of poor quality. One guy recommended the Alpha pot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
        seemed to feel the original pot was of poor quality. One guy recommended the Alpha pot.
        I use something called Nu-Trol. Works wonders.
        Obviously there's an issue with the quality of the pot due to how common the problemm is, but definitely worth trying if a replacement is hard to get.
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
          I use something called Nu-Trol. Works wonders.
          Obviously there's an issue with the quality of the pot due to how common the problemm is, but definitely worth trying if a replacement is hard to get.

Comment

I have two sets of these with the same problem. The pot does seem cheap. It's too easy to turn, like the wiper does not have enough tension against the resistive track.

Comment

Are you sure it's not a log pot? If right after the analog input, I'd want a log/audio pot.
              Last edited by 999999999; 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

It's linear in all those cheapies. They figured no one will tell the difference. Actually, even the volume control in winamp is linear by default, and i believe the windows one is too.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Also on a POT with that type of construction, (if it's like it seems to be) it's not hard to bend back the metal tabs in the back to open it up, clean it out thoroughly that way without buying a new expensive spray, and slightly bending a little more tension into the contact wipers. You might also take a pencil eraser or cloth and metal polish and clean up the contact points on the wipers. If there's hardened grease, a petroleum solvent should get rid of it (gasoline, etc).

Doing it might seem fiddly or problem prone but a few things I did this to in past years have worked fine. Since it is a quick and free thing to do, IMO it might be worth a try unless you're having trouble desoldering it and fear an extra cycle of desoldering if there's still a problem, might damage the PCB.
                  Last edited by 999999999; 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X