Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo SR-TX705 issue

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on a problem I'm having with my Onkyo SR-TX705.

I have a 5.1 setup, and it seems when I listen to Dolby Digital 5.1 sources (Dolby Digital icon lit up on the receiver), I will randomly get a high pitched "tick" out of the side surround speakers. It really seems to be random - I've tried replaying the scenes where I hear the noise, and it doesn't happen again. It seems to happen at any frequency (happens during loud scenes, quiet scenes, bass heavy, high-pitched scenes, etc). Sometimes, it'll happen back to back within a few seconds, other times it'll go upwards of 20-30 minutes before I hear it again. Sometimes I can definitely tell if it's the left or right surround, sometimes I can't.

I've tried it in 2 different houses (i.e., completely different speakers, tvs, cables, a/v sources) with the same results.

What I haven't tried yet is to see if it only happens in the surround speakers - that will be my next test. I don't know much about the internal workings of a receiver, but it sounds like something wrong with the Dolby Digital processing part of the receiver?

I've already downloaded the service manual from elektrotanya.com, and I'm pretty comfortable with a soldering iron and poking around with a multimeter, so any advice/tests you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Onkyo SR-TX705 issue

Ok, I just confirmed it happens out of all speakers. I had the movie on pause for the last hour, went back to test it again (but left all 5 speakers connected). I hit play, and the ticks were happening rapid fire, going back and forth between the channels. I would say about 5-10 "ticks" in about 10 seconds, moving from speaker to speaker. It might've kept going, but my ears couldn't take much more so I hit pause again.

Comment

Working...
    X