Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tevion AVR-2006 Home Theater Receiver

Hi,

I'm wondering has anyone got a service manual or schematic for a Tevion AVR-2006 receiver?

My unit seems to function OK, except there is now a complete lack of sound. This problem originally started as an intermittent fault which could be overcome by switching the unit off / on; or by changing to a different input and then back again.

I am going to start looking though all of the capacitors with an ESR meter, so this will take quite a while. There is only one capacitor that obviously needs changing; a 10,000 uF 63v which is located (with another of this type) just where the input from the power supply board enters the main board. One of these two caps is bulging at the top; the other does not.

Also I have already noticed that the +55 and -55 voltage inputs are down to approx +42 / 43v & -42 /43v. I haven't measured them accurately yet due to time constraints.

Thanks....
    'Let's not forget, It's only Money'

Re: Tevion AVR-2006 Home Theater Receiver

Disconnect all the speakers, turn the volume control all the way down. Set your meter on d.c. volts. Measure the voltage (if any) between each set of speaker terminals. You are looking for 0 volts (when the unit is not shut down). Any pair of speaker output terminals over 25 mv will give you someplace to start.
    Is it plugged in?

Comment

Before doing anything else replace BOTH 10.000u 63v caps. The lowered rail voltages are because the caps are bad.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

What are the brand(s) and series of the 10,000uF (and other) capacitors?
        When replacing the 10,000uF units, replace both of them as a pair.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

All - thanks for the replies....

The 10,000uF capacitors are SAMXON; I haven't looked closely at the others in the unit as yet, but there must easily be around 100 or more in the unit. From my original look at the unit a week or so ago, there are more SAMXON caps as well as other brands.

FYI; I removed both of the 10,000uF caps last night and am going to order replacements today from RS Australia. They were my first choice, even though their ESR and Capacitance values seem OK. Once these are replaced, I'll then look into what voltages are present on the speaker terminals if necessary....

Comment

Samxon are good caps generally but they do have some bad series as well. However, what likely happened in your case was that the manufacturer went a bit tight with the voltage rating of those caps, and there was high line voltage which brought the rail voltage high enough for the caps to fail.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

One thing I forgot to add to my original post is that video switched through the unit was still perfectly OK, the only issue being audio.

I have ordered Panasonic Caps which should arrive tomorrow....stay tuned...

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                Samxon are good caps generally but they do have some bad series as well. However, what likely happened in your case was that the manufacturer went a bit tight with the voltage rating of those caps, and there was high line voltage which brought the rail voltage high enough for the caps to fail.
                I would recommend 75/80V units for the two 10000uF units.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                  I would recommend 75/80V units for the two 10000uF units.
                  Which is understandable now, given previous message; however , I ordered 63v so I'm stuck with them now.....

Comment

Originally posted by Actarian View Post
                    All - thanks for the replies....

The 10,000uF capacitors are SAMXON; I haven't looked closely at the others in the unit as yet, but there must easily be around 100 or more in the unit. From my original look at the unit a week or so ago, there are more SAMXON caps as well as other brands.

FYI; I removed both of the 10,000uF caps last night and am going to order replacements today from RS Australia. They were my first choice, even though their ESR and Capacitance values seem OK. Once these are replaced, I'll then look into what voltages are present on the speaker terminals if necessary....
                    For the record, I have just had a close inspection and it looks like all caps are SAMXON from three different series (GR, GS & ?).....

Comment

Originally posted by Actarian View Post
                      One thing I forgot to add to my original post is that video switched through the unit was still perfectly OK, the only issue being audio.

I have ordered Panasonic Caps which should arrive tomorrow....stay tuned...
                      Hi; the new 10,000uF 63v Panasonic caps arrived today and I have just soldered them in. The -55v rail now measures -45.2v; the +55v rail now reads +45.1v.

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
                      Disconnect all the speakers, turn the volume control all the way down. Set your meter on d.c. volts. Measure the voltage (if any) between each set of speaker terminals. You are looking for 0 volts (when the unit is not shut down). Any pair of speaker output terminals over 25 mv will give you someplace to start.
                      Re the speaker output voltages, they measure as follows:-

LEFT 30mV
                      RIGHT 14mV
                      CENTER 30mV
                      LB/BS 18mV
                      RB 12mV
                      RS 11mV
                      LS 17mV

So, where to now? Do I go looking at the power supply board; checking all capacitors (esr) or is it best to look on the main board first at the output transistors for example; or something else?

NB: I should add that I haven't tried hooking up the speakers to check for an audio output (since the capacitor change) as the speaker output voltages above are likely to be an issue based on what Longbow said....!

Comment

The DC offsets you get are normal, up to 50-60mV it's alright. Try hooking the speakers up.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          The DC offsets you get are normal, up to 50-60mV it's alright. Try hooking the speakers up.
                          OK; I hooked up speakers to LEFT & RIGHT outputs; there is no audio output, even when the internal tuner is used (as before).

Comment

I have finally had some time to investigate further. After testing the main board capacitors with an ESR meter, I found several caps to be faulty. The first one I changed, (C183) fixed the problem; it was a SAMXON 470uF, 10v GS series. I now am just going to go through the rest of the 'high ESR caps' and change them.

There are several caps on the power board which are also test as 'faulty' with the ESR meter and it's my intention to change them as well.

Comment

Well, further to my last message; it seems that C183 wasn't the only cause of the problem. With the top & bottom off the unit on my table, the unit would work, but only sometimes. So after a couple of months and a marriage breakup, I have finally got back to looking at this problem again.

I have decided to look into the perceived power supply issue again. I still have only +/- 45v DC leaving the bridge rectifier on the power board. Given that the AC input to the bridge rectifier is from a toroidal transformer; when I measure the output of the transformer's secondary winding, I am getting only +33v 0v -33v (AC). This explains the low +45v / -45v DC I am getting out of the full wave bridge rectifier.

So, as the main PCB shows the inputs as +55v and -55v, can I now conclude that the toroidal transformer has gone faulty, i.e. low voltage for some reason, or would it be possible that the main PCB is marked wrong and that there should only have been +/-45v DC needed to power this board? What sort of voltage rails do receivers normally use?

I suppose the next question would be is it common for toroidal transformers to go faulty?

Any help would of cause be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

The only possible way for the transformer to output lower voltages is for it to have shorted windings in the secondary. Unfortunately there isn't a non-destructive way to test for that, you'd have to remove the wire and thus replace the transformer anyway.

Comment

...or if your mains voltage is somehow low.

I don't think the slightly low output voltage would be that much of a problem for analog circuitry. It might not output at full power but should still make some sound...

Comment

Hi

Maybe the PCB your amp use is shared with a more powerful model, so the +/- 55 Volts mark.

+/- 45 Volts is normal for amps around the 100 W. Don't believe your mains transformer have shorted turns, because in that case it will be hot like crazy.

I think the problem is elsewhere...

Comment

Working...
                                    X