Problems with trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I started this thread in hopes that some of these problems will be resolved. Of the problems I have found the first is in trying Ubuntu it would be nice if when using a Windows or Mac Operating System there was a way for a quick conversion of all of the Documents, Pictures and Music where they would be stored on hard drive of the Windows System. This would need to be keep separated from the Windows system. It would be a storage area that would be used in conjunction with the Ubuntu Disk or Flash drive. In this way a person could make sure that all their file etc. where able to get converted without a big effort. The other problems is trying to find a comparable system to the Windows Original Games and the Media Music player. Also, my printer which is a Dell 1135n a multi-function monochromatic laser printer has no driver in this particular version of Ubuntu. With all that said the things I like about the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS OS is it is way quicker out on the internet because one is not bouncing around to different sites to get to one site. The ease of using the Terminal seems better than Windows Command prompt. Only problem I find is many of the different commands on the Terminal that one finds on the internet do not work which leaves a person to searching for answers. This is where I think if the conversion process was complete for the user folders from Windows when one tried Ubuntu it would eliminate this searching and confusion. This would also allow more users of Windows to try the Linux system and make a better decision on which one to use.

Re: Problems with trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

you cant auto-convert something that is not standard.

windows media player is a spyware-filled nightmare btw.
    use MPC or VLC or mplayer.

btw.
    Samsung SCX 4623FN <<< try that driver.
    Last edited by stj; 07-17-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

i just downloaded ubuntu yesterday. most likely won't get it installed until next weekend. i'm going to use it as test bed. testing if i can get away from microsoft.

as for a media player.....yeah....i use vlc everywhere.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069 View Post
        i just downloaded ubuntu yesterday. most likely won't get it installed until next weekend. i'm going to use it as test bed. testing if i can get away from microsoft.
        When Win7 goes EoL ion 2020, I'm going to be in the same boat....I should start working on this sooner than later.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I just bought a new Lenovo laptop (an i3/17" cheapy) and first thing I did was take out the slow 500GB 5400RPM HDD and put in an old 120GB SSD I had floating around. I didn't have a Win7 DVD handy (and Skylake doesn't support installing Win7 from USB) so I tried Xubuntu 16.04 which is basically Ubuntu with a better UI.

Anyway, I had quite a few problems that were unfortunately deal-breakers, and as such, Linux still isn't ready for prime-time on desktop, and it ended up with Win7 after 24hrs. It is definitely closer, though, now, than ever before. Still, typical Linux issues, WiFi drivers (the dual band chip would randomly stop detecting 5GHz networks), the trackpad wouldn't work on a reboot, scrolling in browsers led to screen tearing, and battery life was worse than Win7. On the other hand, it was nice that the hotkeys (screen brightness, volume, etc) worked out of the box with no drivers, and really other than those things, it would have been fine for everyday use. Just no Adobe CS or gaming of course.

By 2020, I think you will be able to use Linux as your daily driver/primary computer without any trouble. It's come a long way in just the last two years. I try it about once a year and this time it almost stayed.

While I don't want to start another Win7 vs Win10 debate, I personally have two Win10 desktops and 1 Win10 laptop, and one Win7 desktop and one Win7 laptop. Both are great operating systemss, so I'm not biased either way.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            you cant auto-convert something that is not standard.

windows media player is a spyware-filled nightmare btw.
            use MPC or VLC or mplayer.

btw.
            Samsung SCX 4623FN <<< try that driver.
            I tried that driver and it did not work. Yea one of those players would most likely be alright with me. I can tell that I can convert my documents with no problem. I have not found a way of converting them all at once. Still would have to find a printer driver. I have down load a .ppd files from xerox just do not know which one it will use and I would have to find comparable game. Linux office excel is more complicated then Windows but one can use Windows excel and convert to Linux no problem even using custom dates setting in Widows etc.
            Last edited by keeney123; 07-17-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
              I started this thread in hopes that some of these problems will be resolved.
              Your posts would more readable and likely get more responses if you hit the enter key once in a while. On wide screen monitor, all I see is a wall of text.

I was going to respond, but after 3 or 4 sentences, I gave up reading.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069 View Post
                i just downloaded ubuntu yesterday.
                I use Lubuntu, which is Ubuntu core with LXDE. It is lightweight on DRAM and very quick.

I started with 14.04 two years ago when XP support ended. With anything new, there is always a bit of a learning curve, but now that I switched, it is pretty easy.

With 14.04 LTS, I found a couple of show stopping bugs, but managed to work around them. With 16.04 LTS, I found one show stopping bug, but again managed to work around it.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  When Win7 goes EoL ion 2020, I'm going to be in the same boat....I should start working on this sooner than later.
                  The biggest thing I learned is to try and have all your current data in standards based format. When I switched from XP to Lubuntu, it was pretty smooth, but I had to convert some data that were in non standard format into standards based.

For example, my to-do list Windows EXE program was in a proprietary data format. I had to export it to CSV and then manipulate it.

In anticipation of the switch from XP to linux in 2013, I also tried to use application programs that were supported on Linux and Mac. So I switched from Eudora to Thunderbird, Opera to Chrome, etc. That made the transition easier.

Since using Lubuntu, I have also tried almost 50+ distros. I'm typing this on Manjaro Arch/LXQT right now.

My reason for switching to linux was mainly $$$. I have at least 4 computers that I use on a daily basis depending on what I'm doing. For me to buy 4 Windows 7/8 licenses, at the time in 2014, would have cost me about $500 CDN.

Having said that, I have managed to get a few free/low cost computers that come with a legal Win 7 COA license and I decided to upgrade them to Win 10. I only need Win 10 to run my CDN tax program. I have tried getting the tax program to run under WINE, but have had mixed results.
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

For those wanting to try Linux in some way, have a look at the 10 most "popular" ones at

http://distrowatch.com/

There may be one that fits your requirements.

I like the lightweight ones because I'm using older hardware and have simple requirements.

If you don't like Linux, then try a BSD distro.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Your posts would more readable and likely get more responses if you hit the enter key once in a while. On wide screen monitor, all I see is a wall of text.

I was going to respond, but after 3 or 4 sentences, I gave up reading.
                      Those are just general experiences I had with the Ubuntu OS. It is a general experience for those who have not tried it. I expect the details for others to be singled out.

Comment

Ubuntu 14.04 has been running great now for a long time,but Ubuntu 16.04 that came out it just sucks,i tried it and it was so disappointing,luckily i installed it in an extra HDD,so i was back in Ubuntu 14.04 where i should never had left.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                          Ubuntu 16.04 that came out it just sucks,i tried it and it was so disappointing
                          I'm curious at what you found disappointing? The biggest change from 14.04 to 16.04 is the controversial init to systemd.

Despite being designated LTS (Long Term Support), this is the first 16.04 and bugs are still being worked out. 16.04.01 (first ISO update) when released in October 2016 will likely be better.

For me since I run Lubuntu, it only has 3 years LTS vs Ubuntu's 5 year. So I pretty much chose to upgrade when 16.04 Lubuntu came out in late April 2016.

I'm now trying out Manjaro Arch/LXQT is a "rolling release" to see how it works. So far so good.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

for those just starting, stay away from Debian.

Comment

for those just starting, stay away from Debian.
                              So can you elaborate a little more as to why for people reading your post?

Comment

because you need extensive shell use.

by default it has no gui system tools and the non-free repositry's are not enabled.
                                so no decent gfx drivers etc and no point-click way to fix that.
                                and no way for a noob to change the network settings.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  I'm curious at what you found disappointing? The biggest change from 14.04 to 16.04 is the controversial init to systemd.

Despite being designated LTS (Long Term Support), this is the first 16.04 and bugs are still being worked out. 16.04.01 (first ISO update) when released in October 2016 will likely be better.

For me since I run Lubuntu, it only has 3 years LTS vs Ubuntu's 5 year. So I pretty much chose to upgrade when 16.04 Lubuntu came out in late April 2016.

I'm now trying out Manjaro Arch/LXQT is a "rolling release" to see how it works. So far so good.
                                  I don't know what you think that is good in this release,this so far the worse release ever, from Ubuntu,when i first installed Ubuntu 14.04 i had a couple bugs but nothing compares to this one,it was supposed to be released with minimum bugs,that's not the case,why was this released without a minimum operational for most people,not a good way of advertising Ubuntu,Ubuntu already has a bad name cause of Unity Desktop, now these nest of bugs that make people to go back to 14.04,not a good practice of good businesses.
                                  Last edited by ivtec; 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

because you need extensive shell use.

by default it has no gui system tools and the non-free repositry's are not enabled.
                                    so no decent gfx drivers etc and no point-click way to fix that.
                                    and no way for a noob to change the network settings.

I agree with you,Ubuntu 16.04 was supposed to be like Ubuntu 14.04 which most everything should work for most people out of the box ,why the hell Ubuntu had to change things, screw them.Some here said stay a way from Debian i don't know why?most old pc work great with Debiam.

Comment

So this is what needs to be done to get the printer working tried installing the ppd.One can search on the CD disk for pdd which will be the name of the printer . I connected the printer up a network printer and I got a similar message but for Dell 1135n as below, then I found some help of Ubuntu forums. Which was this "
                                      Re: Dell 1130 driver "missing" rastertosamsungspl

Well spotted!

that worked a treat!

for the record in case anyone finds this thread on a random search about this problem, all you have to do to install this printer is follow the wizard, it wont find the drivers automaticly so browse for the ppd file which is in:

/cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd

then search the same folder (cdroot) for rastertosamsungspl copy and paste on your desktop the 43.2KB file (NOT the 55.3KB one - for some reason it didnt work for me)

then go to terminal and use the following command:

sudo cp Desktop/rastertosamsungspl /usr/lib/cups/filter

about the references i make to "cdroot" this is a folder you get from dell's own website, its pretty easy to get hold of and this should work as long as they dont change the file.

worked for me, my Dell 1130 now works perfectly!!!"

I also believe one can find this on the CD disk of the printer driver by just searching for it. All this is relatively easy once one knows what they are looking for just requires a lot of searching. I guess that is when something is knew. Have not tried the scanner yet.
                                      Last edited by keeney123; 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

So it does not detect the scanner from the simple scan device. Also, even thou I connected it up to network printing it installed as Local. Also, I found that the printer that each time you connected a driver through the printer program and the driver failed then one could not just select another driver to try. I had to delete the printer all together .

Comment

Working...
                                        X