Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer P235H Black Issue

Hello folks...newbie here.

My wife's 23" Acer P235H monitor went out several months ago and I thought all was lost. That is until I started browsing the Internet and saw that this issue may be easily fixable!

She has the issue I see most common where the screen goes black after a few seconds and you can still see the image using a flashlight. So I was exicted to see that there were lots of boards you could buy on ebay, etc...and they were cheap! I took some time last night and opened the monitor up (took awhile, stupid plastic would NOT come apart) and was shocked to see this huge board in there...not like the small cheap inverter boards I was seeing online. So to replace the board is going to be around $50...so I figure I would try to fix it myself first.

I just read the "2 Second Black" thread and got some good pointers. None of my capacitors seem to be blown...but by reading that thread, they may not show any signs of damage.

I have posted some pictures here as I have NO CLUE what I am doing. Can someone point me to which capacitors I shold focus on replacing first? I would like to do these one step at a time in case I make a mistake. Any other hints, suggestions, would be welcome. Guess I need to buy a soldering iron tonight.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by spaceace414; 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM.

Re: Acer P235H Black Issue

I think this MUST be the correct board as well. There is a smaller square board in the monitor as well that holds all the "connections"...HDMI, VGA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceace414 View Post
      I have posted some pictures here as I have NO CLUE what I am doing.
      1) BEFORE doing anything, read through troubleshooting 2 seconds to black at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

starting with post #19.

2) 2 seconds to black can be (in no particular order)

a) bad caps
      b) bad ccfls
      c) bad ccfl wiring (return wiring)
      d) bad inverter transformer

3) If you have a multimeter, check for a bad transformer. Your secondary pins might be pin 7 and 8.

4) Check the ccfls next.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Getting back to my original question...if I do need to replace the caps on this board, do any of you know which ones I should focus on? Being a newbie, I would rather not have to replace every single one if I can avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceace414 View Post
          if I do need to replace the caps on this board, do any of you know which ones I should focus on?
          As I explained in my guide, IF the problem are caps, you can't tell which caps are bad by looking at them. Picking out one or two is impossible.

There are at least 4 possible things that can be your problem and you should at least look at the other 3 if don't want to solder.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay...thanks. I don't have a voltage meter...so my options are limited. I could buy a new board for $50 which would be cheaper than buying a soldering iron and a meter.

I will try to replace all the caps first and see what happens. That seems to be the cheapest option right now. I was only asking about the caps because I thought that only certain ones would cause this issue...thanks for the advice...much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X