Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - Troubleshooting Help... PLEASE!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2485W - Troubleshooting Help... PLEASE!?

Hello All,

I have a Gateway FPD2485W (2485) that was doing the "two seconds to black" thing. Having read the capacitor issues on the 2485 here and having done power supply capacitor replacements in the past on other electronics, I ordered a capacitor kit and changed all the capacitors. Upon testing the 2485 after capacitor replacement, the display did not work AT ALL. Everything else about the 2485 appears to be working perfectly, the powerup, button strip, PC recongizing the device, tested USB ports, etc., everything other than an image cannot be seen at all.

Suspecting that one of the solder connections was faulty, I re-removed the PS board, and touched all the solder connections on the caps I'd replaced.

This is where the "story" gets odd/interesting... I then moved on to the Inverter Board and got lazy, and did not remove the board from the 2485 since the leads were exposed, I reasoned that I could tin the iron, and reheat the exposed lead at the circuit board. ODDLY, when I touched the + lead on one of the two caps, the whold board DROPPED about .25". I then removed the board and found I had not trimmed ONE "+" lead from the capacitors on the Inverter Board. I corrected the problem, and still have the same issue.

It seems to me that due to my ignorance the Inverter board is now toast... OR possibly damaged the section of the PS Board that supplies the Inverter. I'd still like to repair the 2485.

I only have a RadioShack Pocket digital Multimeter for test equipment, can anyone, would anyone PLEASE give me some guidance on how to isolate the problem to repair/replace the faulty component(s)???

Thanks in advance!

- Kevin

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - Troubleshooting Help... PLEASE!?

These caps are in what location? In the inverter circuit? If so, you may have just blown a fuse. Check all of them. I'm not familiar with this board, but some fuses look like resistors but are green, some look like diodes but are completely black, and some are surface mount. Mostly they will be labeled F or PF.

Comment

Posting a PDF with an arms length picture of the 2485.

I put green check-marks by all of the capacitors I'd replaced.
      Attached Files

Comment

Being an OLD-SCHOOL Automotive-like guy, I think all fuses look like automobile fuses.

Looking for things I think could be fuses, I saw a component "F1", neighboring the cap I'd not trimmed the lead on. Assuming it is/was a fuse, I checked continuity across the component, NOTHING.... could that be my blown FUSE?

I sure hope "F1" is a good indicator its a FUSE! ;-)

As I typed this, and prepared to ATTACH the photo, I acutally looked at the MACRO photo which is far better than my over 50 eye-sight, and looks like a "5A" FUSE to me! and its DEAD!

What type of fuse is that... called? Wanna go to a local Radio Shack (I think thats all that is around here). That also looks tricky to replace.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep, that's the fuse alright. 5Amp. Radio Shack will not have one. If there is room where the board goes, and you don't mind a kludge, keep reading.

To easily remove existing part: Bulb up enough new solder such that as you hold your iron across the top of the part the solder hits both sides and just swipe the part off the board.

To use a fast sub: Get a 5a fast blowing fuse of any sort and solder wires (like the legs you clipped from the caps) to the ends of it. Bulb up some solder on the pads where the fuse was. Now quickly solder the wires to those pads. You have to be quick, or you will melt the solder holding the wire to the fuse.

Comment

Yes, that is a fuse and if you get no continuity, then it's open. Radio Shack would not carry this type of fuse as it's a special order type of fuse. However, for testing purposes and based on your "auto days" purchase some regular glass type fuses and holder (available from the "Shack") and using some fine wire, solder the fuse holder across the old fuse. If this solves your problem, then you can order the proper fuse. If it doesn't, you have a cheap source of fuses until you find the source of the short.

Comment

This problem started with a residential power-surge that took out my PC's powersupply, video card and a Buffalo Network Storage drive. As of yesterday, this 2485 is now compensated by a home-owners insurance claim from the power surge. So, whil I do still dearly love the old thing, it is "replaced". I just can't get myself to have it become part of a landfill for something that I feel convinced is an easy fix at this point.

OK... convinced the 'shack wouldn't have one, and wanting to troubleshoot this beast, I have temporarily jumpered (dead shorted) the fuse by tinning and soldering a wire across it. .... plugged it in, no fireworks, no smelly electronic components ;-)... but still no picture. THOUGHTS!? (other than I'm "dumb" for dead shorting a fuse ;-))

Comment

RESOLVED!!!

Since no one knows who I am, where I live, or anything else that could be used to seriouisly embarass me ;-) ...

AFTER I had DEAD-SHORT'd the Fuse, I FORGOT to plug the harness back in (visible in the pic I posted of the FUSE). AMAZINGLY a 2485 actually works better with the Inverter Board connected than it does with it DIS-CONNECTED!

I know this makes me look stupid, "but" I'd rather come-clean on the issue. Otherwise I feel like I disrespect those who helped.

SO, thanks to those who helped... sorry if my 2nd to last post caused you any WASTED time/effort to help me, but I have the 2485 working! All said and done it was another "BAD CAP" issue, just complicated by someone deadshortng and blowing a fuse in the process. THANKS AGAING to everyone and this forum (for giving me the chance to embarass myself! ;-) )

- Kevin

Comment

Eh don't worry, we've all been there.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by kmckenn View Post
                    I know this makes me look stupid, "but" I'd rather come-clean on the issue. Otherwise I feel like I disrespect those who helped.
                    No, it does not make you look stupid. As Th3_uN1Qu3 said, some (if not most of us) have been there...is part of the learning process....
                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050
                      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                      Eh don't worry, we've all been there.
                      Been there? I'm *STILL* there.
                      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

LOL, I do it all the time

Comment

Originally posted by el3ctroded View Post
                          LOL, I do it all the time
                          Why they don't make them wireless?
                          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050
                            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Working...
                          X