Problems with trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with trying Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

try Mageia next, it's the best i'v found for beginners.
    http://www.mageia.org/en/

Comment

I guess I will stick with windows 7 a while longer. Seems these Linux operating systems one has to hunt for answers to get the problems resolved. If I were going back into the business of repairing computers then I would have to learn all this, but as I have said before I would rather be painting.

Comment

For anyone interested here is the updated version on the dancer I am painting. It still is not complete.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          because you need extensive shell use.

by default it has no gui system tools and the non-free repositry's are not enabled.
          so no decent gfx drivers etc and no point-click way to fix that.
          and no way for a noob to change the network settings.
          May be true of the stock Debian distro, but there are derivative distros which don't require any shell use at all. For a newbie, Knoppix 7.4 (which is basically a read-only live DVD Debian-derived distro that also installs to/from USB stick) is a great way to start on limited or older hardware. I have it running on an old 2008-vintage EEE PC 701 with 8 GB Phison SSD and 1 GB RAM, and everything works great, including the WiFi (which wasn't the case in the Windows XP pre-install which I nuked). No shell use was required to configure it - everything worked out of the box.

Comment

Attached Files
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
              I guess I will stick with windows 7 a while longer. Seems these Linux operating systems one has to hunt for answers to get the problems resolved. If I were going back into the business of repairing computers then I would have to learn all this, but as I have said before I would rather be painting.
              Hunt as in use Google? I haven't been using Linux for very long and its actually really easy to find information on the internet. Windows is expensive garbage and at least IHMO, there's no big reason to use it other than gaming. Sure, theres a lot of software out there that is windows only. But you'll find with linux, there is more often than not an open source alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post

almost pissed myself on THAT one!!!!!
                "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Originally posted by ahendricks18 View Post
                  Hunt as in use Google? I haven't been using Linux for very long and its actually really easy to find information on the internet. Windows is expensive garbage and at least IHMO, there's no big reason to use it other than gaming. Sure, theres a lot of software out there that is windows only. But you'll find with linux, there is more often than not an open source alternative.
                  Don't get me wrong i like Ubuntu 14-04 it has been working great and was easy to install and works for me like a champ,i 've tried a few other Linux distros but nothing compares to Ubuntu 14.04,wish i could say the same about 16.04 that sucks big time,most primary stuff wont work out of the box,and that got me mad cause i'm a big fan of Ubuntu,they had to change the whole system,adding apps is the huge issue,they want to be like Windows and forget what Linux is all about.

Comment

Yeah, I'm mainly a Debian user. I did use ubuntu a while ago but also disliked the direction they were headed so I switched over to Debian (which was a pretty good switch IMO)

Comment

me too, dont like the new 16.04 ubuntu also. first thing i didnt like was the os messing up the system clock when setting or auto detecting the time zone. ubuntu 14.04.2 and .3 doesnt do that. bug regression issue i see?

second thing is that it fails to detect my usb wifi adapter or it freezes up the adapter when initialising the adapter. i have to pull out the adapter and plug it back in again to get it detectable again and then i can use wifi. once again ubuntu 14.04.2 and .3 doesnt have any such issue.

third thing is that they seem to have cut down on a lot of bundled programs on the dvd that i need/want. have to go online to download them. this is annoying for me as i use linux ubuntu live sessions primarily as an offline backup setup. damn copyright assholes must have gotten to the ubuntu devs.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                        me too, dont like the new 16.04 ubuntu also. first thing i didnt like was the os messing up the system clock when setting or auto detecting the time zone. ubuntu 14.04.2 and .3 doesnt do that. bug regression issue i see?

second thing is that it fails to detect my usb wifi adapter or it freezes up the adapter when initialising the adapter. i have to pull out the adapter and plug it back in again to get it detectable again and then i can use wifi. once again ubuntu 14.04.2 and .3 doesnt have any such issue.

third thing is that they seem to have cut down on a lot of bundled programs on the dvd that i need/want. have to go online to download them. this is annoying for me as i use linux ubuntu live sessions primarily as an offline backup setup. damn copyright assholes must have gotten to the ubuntu devs.
                        yeah, thats somewhat similar to Debian. I had to install the wifi firmware with apt-get (think my wifi card is a Realtek chipset) but I tried with an Atheros wifi card and it worked off the bat. I dont think its so much to do with Copyright issues (they really do suck though) in debian as it is to do with being as open source as possible. I can respect that but at the same time some packages, firmware, etc are necessary for basic operation in some cases. All that said however, I am very pleased with my Debian installation and I plan to install it on some other computers besides my main comp.

Comment

Originally posted by ahendricks18 View Post
                          Hunt meaning when I have a disk from Dell that is suppose to work with Linux and I try to load it through the CD Rom and it will do nothing. I then hunt through the whole disk looking for a exe program that will load it. When none of that works I go to the printer program in Linux to see how I might get this printer working. After going through the printer program and finding no drivers that will load the printer I then go out to Dell site to find some driver that will load this printer. There is none. Also, remember this is after I have tried using the Terminal program to load and enable programs that is suppose to help with this and other programs. Many of those do will not work. Of course most of these sudo password help command do not work. So I go back to the printer program and try various things. Some people say this is a Samsung printer an their program will work so I try the program recommended and nothing works. I then try all of the Dell printer programs in Ubuntu 16.04 none of them programs work. I then try about 20 Samsung program and none of them work. I read about the Universal Printer Drive and load some from Samsung's site. Some things load some don't but none of it helps. I read about ppd files and load up about 150 of them from Xerox but I do not know which will work. So I noticed my printer will give me a printout error on some programs. This is when I noticed that if I try a printer driver in Linux it allows one to switch drivers Of course that program does not work correctly. One has to completely delete the printer and add another printer to try another driver. If I had known that before it might had saved me 4 to 5 hours. Anyway, as I said I got a error print out and then started google the error thinking maybe someone came across the same problem. So indeed someone had on the Ubuntu site which was a quick simple fix. With all that said. Most people are not going to go to nearly that type of trouble to get their printer working when they can go to a Windows Program and have no problems loading the disk. It took me two days to get this thing working. I am not a programmer, but I was an electronic technician from 1980 to 1994. The averaged user would not have my knowledge of troubleshoot problems on a computer as I do. So if the Linux users expect to shift people away from Windows or Apple they will have to do better.

Comment

Just an FYI.

All the *buntu's got a .1 ISO update today, July 21, 2016.

If you had problems booting with 16.04 and getting stuff to work and you did NOT do a

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to get all the latest patches, try 16.04.1. It is all the bug/security fixes to date all rolled up into 16.04.1. Think of it has service pack 1 for 16.04 for fresh installs.

For those already 16.04, if you are running updates on a daily basis, there is no need to download 16.04.1.

If you already have the 16.04 ISO, you can use zsync to cut down your download time and save bandwidth if you are capped.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage

Just rename the old ISO to the new one. For example, I use Lubuntu 64 bit. This is the current ISO name.

lubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso

I renamed to

lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Then, I will issue zsync to get the new ISO. Zsync will resolve the differences between the two and only download the changed parts of the ISO.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Zsync in action. As you can see, about 50% of the ISO changed since the initial release of 16.04.

$ zsync http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...md64.iso.zsync
                              #################### 100.0% 356.6 kBps DONE

reading seed file lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso: ****************Read lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso. Target 49.2% complete. ***********
                              downloading from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...top-amd64.iso:
                              ##########---------- 55.0% 5.8 kBps TA
                              ###########--------- 55.7% 578.0 kBps A

downloading from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...top-amd64.iso:
                              ###########--------- 55.8% 4.3 kBps
                              #################### 100.0% 508.4 kBps DONE

verifying download...checksum matches OK
                              used 441151488 local, fetched 455900375
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks retiredcaps. Will try.

Comment

I forgot to mention that for new users to linux, it is best to try this out on a separate computer vs your main computer. That way, you can make mistakes, etc without affecting any of your data.

Then, if you like *buntu, then consider the steps I outlined regarding your data in the previous posts.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    I forgot to mention that for new users to linux, it is best to try this out on a separate computer vs your main computer. That way, you can make mistakes, etc without affecting any of your data.

Then, if you like *buntu, then consider the steps I outlined regarding your data in the previous posts.
                                    I only have one computer. Can you tell me if Ubuntu 16.04.1 64 bit will run on a intel T9400 dual core 64 bit? The 16.04 64 bit ran. I tried upgrading and that did not work so I completely erased the USB flash drive. I downloaded the 16.04.1 and tried to use Rufus 2.8 to burn the bootable iso to the drive and it says their is no available ISO.

Comment

the only thing you need to watch with Linux is laptops with 2 GPU's

Comment

So I was able to load the 16.04.1 it was different then loading the 16.04. I believe the 16.04 can be loaded with Rufus through the extracting the iso. With the 16.04.1 one needs to download it and not extract it. I used Firefox to download the iso then made the screen smaller to be able to see the desktop at the same time, then drag the iso onto the desktop. Then create a bootable flash drive using Rufus 2.8. With all that done I did not noticed any difference between the 16.04. It would be good if the creators of Rufus got together the people who write the Linux software and bundle on package that would create a bootable flash or cd a pond download.

Comment

As the storied Windows franchise is set to come to an end in the coming years, after a greater than thirty year run, I've had to begin plans for where I will go also.

(Windows 10 is so far off the mark that it doesn't even exist as a possibility. Windows, thus, to me is set to end in 2020, or possibly 2023 if the guys here who say 8 can be made usable with Classic Shell and such are right).

I tried Kubuntu and Mint with KDE, MATE, and Cinnamon DEs, and I have arrived at Mint Cinnamon as my favorite. It's very familiar and comfortable for Win 7 fans; the start menu and taskbar work the same and look the same.

I had a few issues with Kubuntu in both versions I tried, but Mint... it just installed and worked. It picked up my wifi networks on both bands during the installation, and it's been stable and quick in throughput. Right out of the box, everything on my desktop worked, and my laptop only needed help getting the wireless button and light to sync and to get the fingerprint reader working (which I only use in lieu of the password for superuser rights, not initial login).

I like it a lot; I hardly use Windows anymore. Even playing the one game I do play regularly, it works very well in WINE (had to get the bleeding-edge release from WineHQ's PPA first, though). So do all of the various special-purpose utilities for Windows that I've tried.

Living without Microsoft is going to be easier than I had thought.

Comment

Working...
                                          X