Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netgear = By far the most horrible support ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear = By far the most horrible support ever!

Bought a new Netgear ProSAFE JGS516PE POE switch for a security system; which stopped working for no explicable reason. It's on a UPS, no bad weather, ETC. POE function still powers the cameras, but it will pass no traffic and shows all ports as being unplugged. Definitely an internal issue.

It was still under "warranty", I had all the documentation (receipts), original box, and so on..... The cheese dick excuse I got for not honoring the warranty: "You didn't buy it directly from us or an 'authorized' vendor"..... In my 31 years of tech, I've never had a company use that kind of an excuse on me to duck out of honoring a warranty; they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Word to the wise, avoid Netgear at all costs....spend a couple bucks more for the Cisco.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Netgear = By far the most horrible support ever!

What a cheesy fuck…

Comment

Netgear has always sold mediocre consumer products, colouring a range grey doesn't really change that IMO.
      Their switches were common for having bad caps in the past, i don't know the environment it's been kept in but perhaps something to consider.
      Have you tried resetting the switch ?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        What a cheesy fuck…
        "I'm losin' my balls over heeeere, and this fuckin' moron's playin' Hazel!?"
        "So leave the fuckin' cheese... WHERE IT IS!!!"
        "Havva good time."
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

netgear have always been on my avoidance list.

i try to only buy TP-Link stuff

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            i try to only buy TP-Link stuff
            Back in the mid-2000s, I always thought NG was a bit too "tryhard," especially since (old-school) Linksys was in its prime.

But now, TPL is probably my first (only?) choice. Especially since I've seen videos of their stuff performing well in, shall we say, "adverse" conditions.

TPL FTW!
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

That authorized NETGEAR reseller list is bullshit, dozens of other vendors sell Netgear like Newegg, Dell, Source etc. and who knows who the authorized distributor is selling to?
              They are obviously whoring out product to many retailers, only to be paranoid about "refurbs" and trying to close that warranty door. If your product is decent in the first place, there are no refurbs for sale.
              I'd file a complaint to FTC Consumer Protection for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                I'd file a complaint to FTC Consumer Protection for what it's worth.
                I would too, this kind of bullshit should not be tolerated!
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

This is the same type of problem I had with a Sonim phone. It seems these companies are finding creative ways of not honoring their warranties for the junk that is being made. You can file complaints but, if you want to be a part of stopping this then just never buy from them again. If all of a sudden, they have to lay off 50% of their work force because people refuse to buy from companies with unreputable business practices then may take notice of that.

Comment

just a heads up that tp-link is actually a chinese brand. rare instance of a prc company making good stuff and being honest, i guess. i also own two tp-link networking products. their high gain wireless g usb adapter with high gain antenna TL-WN422G and their 10/100 fast ethernet lan card TF-3239DL for use with a mobo with a dead onboard nic.

their wireless driver for the TL-WN422G works great out of the box. NO additional crap needed for the wifi drivers like ms .net lamework bs or ms visual c++ crap etc. it also works great on a live session of hiren's boot cd minixp. no reboot needed to start the wifi driver. so even though the driver is 26mb in size, its all self contained so the drivers dont need additional crap to run unlike some other company's wifi drivers that dont install on minixp because of additional co-dependencies.

Comment

i think everybody knows TP-Link is chinese
                      but then, where is stuff from netgear, cisco etc actually made?
                      probably china.

south korea is the only other large manufacturing center and they only want high-end work like laptops, pc motherboards and game consoles.

Comment

What's worse - chinese backdoor in the product, junky capacitors, orphaned firmware, or no warranty?

Netgear does not have a clear list of approved retailers or authorized resellers. They want you to buy directly from them (refurbs included), pay for extended warranty and "Gearhead" or "ProSupport"
                        They're obviously just using contract china OEM's with a token USA office hellbent on maximum cash from their customers. They have 42% of the market, lost money NASDAQ:NTGR -$10M last quarter.
                        Then I see they have a home system, app as well. Supporting Solana cryptocurrency and NFT's, Meural digital canvas: NETGEAR to Support Solana Blockchain With the Integration of Phantom Wallet Into the Meural Platform
                        Who would deal with them?

Comment

chinese backdoors, or nsa / mi6 backdoors.
                          choose,
                          then change the firmware.

Comment

It's a magic packet so changing the firmware I think would leave that door there. Doesn't matter really, others looking at my traffic I have nothing to worry about, it's pretty boring. huawei might have some good use for the data lol.
                            Why don't they go bust some organized crimesters instead of wasting time with ma and pa.

Comment

I appreciate all the information you guys posted.... Yes, this dead switch will definitely be my last netgear product....I'm actually kind of glad they dicked their way out of the warranty at this point...sounds like this thing needs to be fed to my case crusher even if it worked!!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Totally makes sense now: https://dilbert.com/strip/2022-08-08

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                  Totally makes sense now: https://dilbert.com/strip/2022-08-08

Comment

Netgear can go piss up a rope....replaced the POE switch with this:

New HP 2520-8 POE switch. 10/100 is all I need, the cameras are only 100-base anyway....does just fine....and YAY, the cameras are working again!!
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

That looks pretty good, the support and docs for it pretty easy to find. The big brick 48V 1.75A 84W hopefully runs cool. Freescale PowerPC 8313 @ 266 MHz, 128MB DDR2 SDRAM.

Netgear Prosafe JGS516 seems have issues where it just dies. I'll bet too cheap to put a heatsink on the IC's.
                                        P.S. Dilbert is still trashing {Netgear} warranty returns lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X