A2289 MacBook keyboard and trackpad does not work anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A2289 MacBook keyboard and trackpad does not work anymore

hello, my A2289 MacBook keyboard and trackpad does not work anymore. keyboard backlight is working, Touch Bar is working but I can’t use it. if I connect external keyboard and external mouse all work perfectly, but internal keyboard and trackpad does not work. The Apple Hardware Test completes with the error PPF003 indicating that the fan is not working properly. (PPF004). does it worth try to change keyboard and trackpad? or Maybe I need logic board repair? I take apart trackpad and no signs of corrosion

Re: A2289 MacBook keyboard and trackpad does not work anymore

Moved post to a new thread .
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

This machine is still under warranty.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thank you for all your replies.
        I cannot really let this Mac go, it was a good deal for me. Anyway after teardown the whole mac I noticed what seems a trace of some kind of liquid flow from a to b in the downside of logic board (photos attached). But I don't see any trace of corrosion or water sensor color change. I cleaned all with 98%alchol and reassembled it. Now apple diagnostics show no error detected (maybe it was just fan ribbon needing to be reseat), but keyboard and trackpad still not working at all. Only key working is finger print, and touch bar display image but don't accept any touch.

I guess I'll try go to the Apple Store and try to get it repaired under warranty.

Last edited by slimmy182; 04-18-2021, 04:14 AM. Reason: link image

Comment

Ufortunately, as expected, Apple wont accept fixing this under warranty, as prevous owner declared liquid spill damage, voiding warranty. They simply wanna change bottom case assembly and logic board.
          Putting logic board in ultrasonic cleaner can help me even if i can't see any corrosion sign?

Comment

UPDATE.

I found as spare parts one A1989 top case nearby me. So i decided to give a try and buy the A1989 trackpad of this case. Obviously, even if they have same flex cable connector, the A1989 trackpad isn't working when connected to my A2289 logic board. I managed to swap the "new flex" to my old Trackpad and it worked! But not only trackpad, also internal keyboard now work flawless. The A1989 trackpad cable has a different design so it can't be used in A2289. Then waiting for a new trackpad cable I put back my "old" one, and surprisingly it is still working! That mean my trackpad and cable connector was good. I've done literally nothing in this board or keyboard or trackpad, except looking for shorts or visible damaged area. I think that connecting the other trackpad somehow "unlocked" it. Anyway all works good except for TouchBar that dislay image but wont accept touch. That maybe due to touch driving data cable problem, or maybe it neet do be "unlocked" to accept imput as the same as my trackpad. Dunno.

Comment

MacBooks in this model usually require a T2 DFU recovery to bring back the Trackpad and Keyboard. We had this issue when swapping a OEM Trackpad and it would disable it once booted into the OS. A hardware NVRam reset and SMC reset will not fix this, we have to wipe it completely and do a complete recovery for it to fully function. This solved the issue of it not working hope this helps for future laptops you may work on with T2 chips.
              sigpic
              MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                MacBooks in this model usually require a T2 DFU recovery to bring back the Trackpad and Keyboard. We had this issue when swapping a OEM Trackpad and it would disable it once booted into the OS. A hardware NVRam reset and SMC reset will not fix this, we have to wipe it completely and do a complete recovery for it to fully function. This solved the issue of it not working hope this helps for future laptops you may work on with T2 chips.
                Thank you so much for this advice! T2 BrideOS recovery was the first thing I thought about, but since the internal keyboard was NOT working I have found no way to get in DFU. External keyboard doesn't let me do that. Now I will try for touchbar, maybe it will work

Comment

Although your internal keyboard doesn’t seem to work I wouldn’t rule it out not working. The keyboard will disable itself once it gets into the OS or recovery. The keyboard will turn on first so you can get into DFU. Always attempt DFU first before ruling the keyboard out.
                  sigpic
                  MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Unfortunately it was not working for sure, no way to get DFU at all. Only switch a different trackpad and reconnect the old one do the trick! Now keyboard and trackpad works perfectly. Only problem remain the touchbar, it display image but wont accept touch control.

Looking in diagrams i found that there is a component lost:

Can be this the problem? Connectin an other touchbar won't fix, still display but not accept touch control

Comment

Yes, L5100 is a filter for the respective power rail. If missing, can raise your issue.

It is a filter so for now, you can just bridge this component. Ideally, you want to source a replacement inductor for the L5100 but for immediate testing, you can bridge the pads to allow for the power rail to work.

Comment

I'll try to jump it! Thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X