LG OLED65C9PUA no audio/video after delicate move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED65C9PUA no audio/video after delicate move

I moved about 2 months ago and am just now getting to troubleshooting my OLED TV. I've owned it for well over a year now and have never had a problem. I bought it lightly used and even moved it across state lines, so I'm confident in the 8 mile move I went through 2 months ago.

The issue I'm having now is that when I turn it on, there's no audio or video except for quick flash of a vertical yellow line in almost the exact center when turned on. I can hear a solenoid like click when I power it on, then after the brief .5 second flash of the vertical line and 5 seconds of no response in either audio or video, I can hear it click off. Then it just repeats from there.

I've taken the back panel off and tested the voltages on the Power Board. The only thing that seemed out of place was the connector to the Main Board where DRV_ON is reporting a low voltage.

I've ordered and received the service remote, so I have that to work with, as well as basic electronic skills and plenty of tools. I'm hoping this is a resolvable issue and that the module/screen isn't beyond repair(the vertical line concerns me).

All responses and aide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: LG OLED65C9PUA no audio/video after delicate move

Push the P-Only button on the remote and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by William1967 View Post
      Push the P-Only button on the remote and see what happens.
      P-ONLY button returns the exact same results as the power button and the symptoms I mentioned before.

Comment

That's sure panel problem. You could remove lvds cable from Mainboard site and try again power only. Maybe it will Start but no Screen or you the line on the screen

Comment

So, here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

If I unplug the 2 ribbon cables from the mainboard to the T-Con(middle board I'm assuming) board, the image persists on the screen without auto shutting off. So the yellow line persists when all 4 of the bottom ribbon cables are plugged in. The Green banding is what persists when I unplug the outer 2 ribbon cables across the bottom of the T-Con(?) board. The last image shows this scenario.

Different combinations of bottom ribbon cables give slightly different effects, but generally limit the green banding to the left or right side, sometimes with a reddish hue.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier847 View Post
            So, here's some pictures of what I'm dealing with.
            yours picture

it show some one work on the LVDS cable before you bought it.. the carton paper glued over the 2 LVDS socket at the T-CON side doesn't belong to this TV at any way..

so maybe the LVDS cable clips are broken before and they fix the cable with this way... any move ( could be happened by yours move ) the cable sliver pins sitting at wrong place which it will cause shout down.

inspect them and don't forget to put the other No1 & 4 ribbon cable back between panel module & T-CON driver board.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
              yours picture

it show some one work on the LVDS cable before you bought it.. the carton paper glued over the 2 LVDS socket at the T-CON side doesn't belong to this TV at any way..

so maybe the LVDS cable clips are broken before and they fix the cable with this way... any move ( could be happened by yours move ) the cable sliver pins sitting at wrong place which it will cause shout down.

inspect them and don't forget to put the other No1 & 4 ribbon cable back between panel module & T-CON driver board.
              Hmmmm, unplugging the LVDS cables prevents it from shutting down but I'm still not getting an image on the screen. Do you think that Vertical Yellow line is indicative a broken panel?

Do you think I just need to get a new TV?
              Last edited by Xavier847; 12-15-2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm, unplugging the LVDS cables prevents it from shutting down but I'm still not getting an image on the screen. Do you think that Vertical Yellow line is indicative a broken panel?
                OLED. they are micro LED of R/G/B units group.
                from all what i experienced with this module, shorted / defect panel shows one color line or more of one group. Yellow mean the G & B (green -blue )working. also when you turn it on with out LVDS in place the T-CON will not able to refresh all pixel as there no signal command receiving it from main boards.. i would say you have broken LVDS as first suspected because as i mentioned before some one work on them before as yours photo tell this theory.. . take them out and under good loop, inspect them carefully.

unless you hit the front of the panel within your transport..

Comment

OLED. they are micro LED of R/G/B units group.
                  from all what i experienced with this module, shorted / defect panel shows one color line or more of one group. Yellow mean the G & B (green -blue )working. also when you turn it on with out LVDS in place the T-CON will not able to refresh all pixel as there no signal command receiving it from main boards.. i would say you have broken LVDS as first suspected because as i mentioned before some one work on them before as yours photo tell this theory.. . take them out and under good loop, inspect them carefully.

unless you hit the front of the panel within your transport..
                  THANK YOU! I was so careful with moving it that I couldn't believe it was a panel issue. I'll look over the 2 LVDS cables and ports.

Comment

So, I took a closer look at the LVDS cables and ports and didn't find anything obviously wrong with either. I'm curious if it could either be the TCON board or the Mainboard that could be the issue.

When I moved this time, I left the 2 vertical VESA mounts attached and used those those to handle the TV most of the time because I thought they were the most secure anchor points on the panel. I'm wondering if handling it from there might have caused any issue.
                    Attached Files

Comment

So, I'm curious if it could either be the TCON board or the Mainboard that could be the issue. I'm wondering if handling it from there might have caused any issue.
                      you can narrow the issue by this test,

1- all cable should be in place as it should.
                      2- only disconnect the 22-24V socket from power boards to T-CON driver board
                      3-turn on the tv ( i think it will run... only black screen... notice the red color indicator o the OPtic audio output socket on the mainboard.. its on meen the TV running. so if it on... give time 2-3 minute running... then while its on plug back the socket mentioned in point 2.. the screen will come on and will show you if the picture complete clear or it had issue.

Comment

I moved about 2 months ago and am just now getting to troubleshooting my OLED TV. I've owned it for well over a year now and have never had a problem. I bought it lightly used and even moved it across state lines, so I'm confident in the 8 mile move I went through 2 months ago.

The issue I'm having now is that when I turn it on, there's no audio or video except for quick flash of a vertical yellow line in almost the exact center when turned on. I can hear a solenoid like click when I power it on, then after the brief .5 second flash of the vertical line and 5 seconds of no response in either audio or video, I can hear it click off. Then it just repeats from there.

I've taken the back panel off and tested the voltages on the Power Board. The only thing that seemed out of place was the connector to the Main Board where DRV_ON is reporting a low voltage.

I've ordered and received the service remote, so I have that to work with, as well as basic electronic skills and plenty of tools. I'm hoping this is a resolvable issue and that the module/screen isn't beyond repair(the vertical line concerns me).

All responses and aide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
                        Where does one buy an LG service remote and Schema?
                        Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by 27grains View Post
                          Where does one buy an LG service remote and Schema?
                          Thank You
                          lg service remote you can buy from ebay or ali express

Comment

you can narrow the issue by this test,

1- all cable should be in place as it should.
                            2- only disconnect the 22-24V socket from power boards to T-CON driver board
                            3-turn on the tv ( i think it will run... only black screen... notice the red color indicator o the OPtic audio output socket on the mainboard.. its on meen the TV running. so if it on... give time 2-3 minute running... then while its on plug back the socket mentioned in point 2.. the screen will come on and will show you if the picture complete clear or it had issue.
                            Ok, so I followed these instructions and on step 3 it powered on with a black screen, red light in the optical port. I tried getting sound from the HDMI1 port with my PS5 plugged in but no audio at all. Then when I plugged the 22V cable back into the TCON board the Yellow line flickered and then the TV shut off.

Does this mean that the Mainboard is working and the TCON board is broken? If so, can I replace just the TCON board?

Comment

Ok, so I followed these instructions and on step 3 it powered on with a black screen, red light in the optical port. I tried getting sound from the HDMI1 port with my PS5 plugged in but no audio at all. Then when I plugged the 22V cable back into the TCON board the Yellow line flickered and then the TV shut off.

Does this mean that the Mainboard is working and the TCON board is broken? If so, can I replace just the TCON board?
                              okay.. it mean yours Main board working ( optic socket on ).. and the T-CON not the causer of shutdown.. now as the T-CON connect to main board and to the Panel module we can reset it to let all start script and pixel refresh command to be send to the module.
                              as above ( you did before ) turn on the TV with out the socket of 22V connected to the T-CON. wait until you have the optic audio on. with yours LG service RC send command IN_STOP wait the set should after while go to standby as reboot... if it doesn't try again after sending IN_STOP followed with 0 4 3 1.

if its reboot wait at least 3-4 minutes after the optic audio goes on ... plug back the socket of 22V .. hope you will be able to see first install image.. if the yellow line remain and cause shutting down... try with finger clicking soft on the area where the line appears and turn on.. notice any change or some time it can solve the short on the panel.

Comment

okay.. it mean yours Main board working ( optic socket on ).. and the T-CON not the causer of shutdown.. now as the T-CON connect to main board and to the Panel module we can reset it to let all start script and pixel refresh command to be send to the module.
                                as above ( you did before ) turn on the TV with out the socket of 22V connected to the T-CON. wait until you have the optic audio on. with yours LG service RC send command IN_STOP wait the set should after while go to standby as reboot... if it doesn't try again after sending IN_STOP followed with 0 4 3 1.

if its reboot wait at least 3-4 minutes after the optic audio goes on ... plug back the socket of 22V .. hope you will be able to see first install image.. if the yellow line remain and cause shutting down... try with finger clicking soft on the area where the line appears and turn on.. notice any change or some time it can solve the short on the panel.
                                Ok, I was able to get IN_STOP to factory reset the TV with 0413 code. When I turn it back on without the 22V TCON connection, I get the audio for the setup menu "Please press OK wheel button on your remote." When I plug the 22V cable back in, the screen flashes the yellow line and then shuts off. Does this mean the module/panel is bad?

EDIT: With everything plugged in except the LVDS cables, I'm able to get the setup audio "Please press OK wheel..." as well as the vertical yellow line to stay on the TV. I tried pressing around the perimeter of the TV near the top and bottom of the vertical line and there was no change in the image.
                                Last edited by Xavier847; 12-19-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

i would say, first invest little on replacement T-CON before you go to sell it as parts.

Comment

i would say, first invest little on replacement T-CON before you go to sell it as parts.
                                    I just read that TCON boards are married to the panel and are not able to be used with other panels. Do you have experience with swapping TCON boards on LG OLEDs?

Comment

I just read that TCON boards are married to the panel and are not able to be used with other panels. Do you have experience with swapping TCON boards on LG OLEDs?
                                      this is wrong information.... they are not maried LOL... the are divorced LOL

Comment

this is wrong information.... they are not maried LOL... the are divorced LOL

Cool, I just ordered a TCON board from tvpartstoday.com. I'm thinking this could be the resolution. I'll remove the TCON board this evening and check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X