Worst inverter "repair" on a HP zr24w monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst inverter "repair" on a HP zr24w monitor

Good day folks. I had a good laugh today at the "repair job" someone's done on a HP monitor, so of course I thought I'd share it with you I put that in quotes because it shouldn't even qualify as a "repair" - it's a patch job at most, if not a flat-out botch. Worst of all is that it wasn't a hobby repair that someone did for themselves - a shop actually charged for this !

This monitor had backlight issues and while what the first shop did to it worked to a degree, it didn't take long at all for it to fail again, since half-arsed repairs like these definitely don't last. I believe the inverter failed on this guy, but rather than trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with it (or due to lack of parts which MIGHT excuse the guys for what they did do a degree), someone decided to "replace" the inverter and again I put that in quote marks because it's not a replacement per-se: someone took an inverter board and just slapped it on top of the original one ! *enter Dave from EEV here* YES, THEY TOOK ANOTHER BOARD AND MOUNTED IT OVER THE ORIGINAL INVERTER WITH DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE ! WOOOOW UNBELIEVABLE ! :O Since I imagine it didn't fit, they removed the transformers and Y capacitors from the original to make it flatter...the power and signal wires are just botched to the connector....and look at those HV leads, really good quality job there....just soldered onto the pads of the transformers like that....WOOOOW ! NO WAY Ok, enough ranting for now. Really: couldn't they AT THE VERY LEAST remove the original board ? Could this be any more cheap ? I can imagine those little transformers were unable to run those lamps and that's the reason it failed again...UNBELIEVABLE

Now about trying to fix this thing: I could not find one on ebay or someplace else for the life of me, so I WOULD attempt to rebuild it if I could find some info on the transformers, transistors and Y caps. Those are the parts that are clearly missing so far. I haven't peeled off the sticky tape to see how bad the damage is underneath or if there are any parts missing there as well. I do see a burn mark, but it was probably a transistor....I don't think it's feasible to repair this - even if someone DID provide me with all the necessary part models and even photos, actually finding them would be a challenge in itself and the price including labour would outweigh what the monitor is currently worth. Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Worst inverter "repair" on a HP zr24w monitor

Looks like someone was trying to fix it in under 5 minutes.
    You could try to replace the CCFL backlight with LED but i wont guarantee it will work.
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
      Looks like someone was trying to fix it in under 5 minutes.
      You could try to replace the CCFL backlight with LED but i wont guarantee it will work.
      Pff...yeah, I would do that if it were my monitor and I was hellbent on fixing it, but there's now way I'm going through all that hassle for this
      Wattevah...

Comment

pretty easy actually - i'v fitted a few of the led kits - do a search.

Comment

Hey, that looks like something I would actually do myself......... AS AN EXPERIMENT.

But charging people for this hackjob? No way! Not even worth giving a free beer.

Comment

From what I learned later on, the owner got a refund as expected, so it's a semi-happy end
            Wattevah...

Comment

I've seen Universal boards, but not one taped to the other.

Comment

Working...
              X