Need a new roll of solder what to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new roll of solder what to buy?

Well I never bought solder before, I've had quite alot left over from my grandfather's shop, and now I've used it up.

I've got to order from digikey since I have some caps to order figure that might be a good place to buy from and combine it to my shipping.

Frankly what's good for PSU and MB work?

Re: Need a new roll of solder what to buy?

Kester 60/40 "44" rosin core, .025 diameter is what I always use. Always buy leaded, avoid that lead-free rohs shit......you'll thank me later.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Always buy leaded, avoid that lead-free rohs shit
      +1000!

That trash is nothing but slag and waste 'marketed and disguised' as solder, as far as I'm concerned! It's "The Enemy" to me, since it was another way to 'enable' or 'lessen the harm' of producing even more cheap junk. How it was sold as 'makes e-waste safer' IS PURE BULL.

Another wonderful EU brainstorm.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Kester 60/40 "44" rosin core, .025 diameter is what I always use. Always buy leaded, avoid that lead-free rohs shit......you'll thank me later.
        funny, that is exactly to the point of what I use. it is good stuff.

some lead free works (99/.7), but it isn't as good as leaded. However, on the FIRST robotics team I was on, at competition the only type of solder allowed is for use in the pits is lead free. dumb rule, but the rules are rules.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've bought Multicore 63/37 with very small diameter and 2% flux - it works well but I wish I would have chosen one with more flux.
          Have to buy one of those flux pens but the only ones that were in stock on digikey were quite expensive ..

Comment

Unleaded solder has its uses... If you have a BGA where the leads are very very close, you NEED to use PB free solder because leaded solder flows too freely and the leads will bond to eachother forming one large blob...

Also... unleaded solder is a lot safer now that they've perfected the mixture... The thing is, it's impossible to know which company uses which unleaded solder... Are they using old stock tin/copper only balls, or are they using the new stuff?

But yea, for hand soldering, 60/40 is the way to go. 63/37 is a little more difficult to melt.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
              Agreed....but for just about anything that anyone on this forum is going to encounter, my original post is the way to go. If they have to ask, stop reading after my first post. Someone extremely skilled in the art of soldering will know this like they know their own name.

Unless you plan on starting a motherboard manufacturer, reballing chips, or doing massive amounts of SMT reworking of IC's with many dozens of close contact leads on them, 60/40 fine strand rosin core is all you need to know.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

i grab all the kester "44" i spot at hamfests and flea markets that i can get cheap.like folks that hoard 100w lightbulbs.just a matter of time before its out of production.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                  i grab all the kester "44" i spot at hamfests and flea markets that i can get cheap.like folks that hoard 100w lightbulbs.just a matter of time before its out of production.
                  unless leaded solder is made 100% illegal, I doubt that will happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

^
                    With the tree huggers today, it is very possible. I too grab it when I see it if its cheap. I also have a good hoard of incandescent bulbs...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

60/40 is a great choice but I prefer 63/37 unless I can't find it.
                      It's melting point is about 7°C lower than 60/40 so it 'gets going' a tad quicker.
                      The big difference is 63/37 is a eutectic solder vice 60/40 which is non-eutectic.
                      Non-eutectic solders [like 60/40] have that semi-solid state between solid and liquid so if a joint is moved during that stage it can result in cold solder joints.
                      Eutectic solders [like 63/37] do not have the semi-solid state and solidify instantly so they are less likely to produce bad joints if you bump the part or work table at just the wrong time.
                      That said, it's a really minor difference [couple seconds] and more of a style/preference thing than anything else.
                      In the Navy we always got the 63/37 when we could because soldering in 'a room' that's bouncing and vibrating like a speeding flatbed with out of balance tires adds another element of challenge to getting the job done.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Interesting...

Well I bought the kester 60/40 44 roll for $68 ouch. It better last me forever. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                          Interesting...

Well I bought the kester 60/40 44 roll for $68 ouch. It better last me forever. LOL
                          how much?

I usually buy mine in 1lb spools.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            how much?

I usually buy mine in 1lb spools.
                            It was 1lb spool too.

Comment

It was 1lb spool too.
                              seriously?

I paid less than 1/3 of that for mine... it was $25 at a local EE store iirc.
                              sigpic

Comment

Mine was 42$ : http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ords=82-129-ND

It's actually 500g, not 1 lbs (1lbs = 454 grams)... or at least that's what it says on the label... maybe the plastic is 50 grams..

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  seriously?

I paid less than 1/3 of that for mine... it was $25 at a local EE store iirc.
                                  Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                  Mine was 42$ : http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ords=82-129-ND

It's actually 500g, not 1 lbs (1lbs = 454 grams)... or at least that's what it says on the label... maybe the plastic is 50 grams..
                                  Awwww fuck, I got raped didn't I?

Oh well.

Comment

Interesting...

Check fleabay. I score 1lb rolls of it there for 15~20 a roll all the time. Flea markets and things like hamfests, they can be had for about 5 bucks a roll.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                      60/40 is a great choice but I prefer 63/37 unless I can't find it.
                                      It's melting point is about 7°C lower than 60/40 so it 'gets going' a tad quicker.
                                      The big difference is 63/37 is a eutectic solder vice 60/40 which is non-eutectic.
                                      Non-eutectic solders [like 60/40] have that semi-solid state between solid and liquid so if a joint is moved during that stage it can result in cold solder joints.
                                      Eutectic solders [like 63/37] do not have the semi-solid state and solidify instantly so they are less likely to produce bad joints if you bump the part or work table at just the wrong time.
                                      That said, it's a really minor difference [couple seconds] and more of a style/preference thing than anything else.
                                      In the Navy we always got the 63/37 when we could because soldering in 'a room' that's bouncing and vibrating like a speeding flatbed with out of balance tires adds another element of challenge to getting the job done.
                                      Kester 44 is good stuff. 0.025" is a good size for motherboard work, and not too annoyingly small for other work on occasion. I also prefer 63/37 over 60/40 for the reasons mentioned above.

I also use Techspray G3 Flux Remover. It's not really required for most rosin core stuff, but it does make the repair look more professional. It works like nothing else I've tried. Spray on and the flux is gone. No rubbing required. Just use it in a well ventilated area or the room will be spinning in no time.

Comment

Interesting...

Expensive yeah but at least you can be happy to know it won't contain shitty flux.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X