DIY PSU load tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY PSU load tester

I'm going to be using CPU heatsinks on mine. With no fans, it takes less than a minute before they are too hot to touch. I'm hoping that the fans in the case i've knocked up can do the job.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well it turns out it isn't that bad after all. I decided to see just how much the MOSFETs will take, and managed to get 14 amps @ 12.10v for a couple minutes before they gave up. That's 170 watts! And what's even more surprising is that two of them went short but one survived - even though there is visible heat damage to the plastic case!

Since this was an absolute worst-case scenario, 170W/3 mosfets means a total of 1.7 kW, and i will rarely have to deal with power supplies >600W, i'll just go ahead and build it with PSU heatsinks. Now time for some PCB design.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Not sure if this is a useful design suggestion, but perhaps you can submerge part of the heatsinks in water all the way up to the MOSFETs, keeping the MOSFETs dry of course. I think that should give you much better cooling. When the water gets too hot, change it .
        Or you can also use mineral oil and completely submerge everything since it's non-conductive.

Comment

There would be no problem with submerging the MOSFETs in water either due to the low voltage (well, except generation of hydrogen...), but i don't want to go that route. I just tested the 8 fans glued together - and i'm starting to get worried they might take off or something. I think they're gonna be enough.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I would be more worried about the possibility of corrosion if they were under water. Hydrogen is awesome stuff when you have a box of matches handy

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Hydrogen is awesome stuff when you have a box of matches handy
              Don't remind me - i was bored one night and was doing just that... One of the bubbles exploded so loudly that it was amazing it didn't wake anyone up.

Comment

How about a PC watercooling kit? Wouldn't need to immerse the heatsinks in water then. Would be expensive though.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Not to mention the waterblocks wouldn't offer enough space, unless i'd be mounting the 'fets on the main radiator. This isn't a 150W quadcore, it's from 150W up to one kilowatt remember.

8x 80mm fans seems to be enough but i'll add two more anyway, AND leave provision for some on the front. I'll have to go pick up the meters and come up with the design and material for the front panel then i can commence building the rest.

Oh and if all else fails... there's no one stopping me to change the fans for 240v ones.
                  Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM.

Comment

170W x 3 doesn't mean 1.7 kW, try 510 watts.

Water cooling is just a gimmick to sell crap to gadget addicts.
                    There are a number of Xeon CPU's that hit 150 watts and factory air cooling works fine.

Should be able to rework some copper core coolers to get the job done.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      170W x 3 doesn't mean 1.7 kW, try 510 watts.
                      The nominal dissipation is intended to be 35W/mosfet, that is 105W per heatsink. There are 30 mosfets and 10 heatsinks. 105 x 10 = 1kW. I said that the dissipation limit was tested at 170W over one heatsink, before the 'fets fry. Or at least two of them did. 170 x 10 IS 1.7kW. Furthermore, i left the remaining good 'fet along with two new ones at 10.2A / 11.84v for 30 minutes. That's 121W. They held.

So it seems that this will be capable of 1.2kW load medium term - you don't need more than 30 minutes to test a PSU anyway. Though i do agree that the PSUs i will test will average at 500W, my math isn't wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        170W/3 mosfets means a total of 1.7 kW

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

@/35w each you could use some Prescott coolers you could easily put 3 or 4 MOSFETs per cooler which might save space depending on your layout.
                          Just drill and tap the heatsinks and you could attach them directly with machine screws.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

There i was referring to the total power. 170W over three meant 1.7k over 30. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyway, i have enough of those ATX power supply heatsinks that i can do just two per heatsink. At 12A going thru 4 of them temperature settled at 95C which isn't that bad. That's with just three of 8 fans running so i guess they'll do fine. And what they can do short term is rather incredible. I got my 20A meter to read "out of range" for a minute or so before the 'fets got too hot and i had to lower the current. If four of them can do this to a 12v rail, i can just imagine what twenty will. Btw, the 420W Powerlink PSU that i am abusing for testing seems to be holding up so far.

I'd rather use the heatsinks i have now rather than buy some more, unless i can buy some Prescott coolers on the bulk i'd just use those that i already have.

Comment

Sometimes boredom can be good. I was bored today and had a spare fan from a gutless wonder i can't be bothered to fix. It's a "Te Bao Metallic Plastic Co" fan. So what could be more entertaining than testing it to see how much it'll take before blowing up? I knew Intel stock coolers generally go kapow at 18 volts.

The only problem was, i couldn't blow it up. I ran it up to 27 volts which is the limit of my adjustable supply, and it just kept on working. More so, it produced an impressive amount of airflow.

So i decided to see whether the group of fans i'll be using for my load tester can take the same. Well what'd you know... each of them did. Actually, with all 8 fans running the poor little transformer gives up at 14 volts, with 4, at 20 volts. At 20v x 4 fans the amp meter reads 0.83A.

Even at "just" 20 volts, four 80mm fans make a ridiculous amount of airflow. If i was worried about them taking flight at 12v, now i actually have to hold them so they don't move. I have a huge 2x 24v transformer, it's not too practical but i guess i can use one winding to feed the fans. Now i just have to figure where would i put it. Certainly not in the load tester itself. Oh, and i also got myself something that'll do nice for a front panel.

Edit: I hooked up the big transformer. I only went up to 21 volts with all 8 to make sure i don't damage the fans. All i can say is... GOT CFM?
                              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be simpler and less expensive for this project to mount them as passive cooled and use a 12-14 inch AC powered box fan to cool the whole box?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  use a 12-14 inch AC powered box fan to cool the whole box?
                                  I'm not going to rip out the bathroom fan for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                    I'm not going to rip out the bathroom fan for this.
                                    Good idea.
                                    Bathroom fans only move 50-100 CFM which is why I didn't suggest them.
                                    The kind of fan I did suggest would cost about the same as a bathroom fan, be MUCH quieter, and get you roughly in the range of 600 CFM.
                                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-15-2010, 01:45 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Well an additional problem with a mains powered fan would be the 50hz field it radiates, with signals in the tens of mvs nearby, it wouldn't be such a good idea.

Comment

Um, it would be rather silly to put a fan that big so close to the PCB.

And a simple grounded wire mesh grill would provide all the shielding needed.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-15-2010, 04:46 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

I Just ordered the last of the components for mine. For a 700W loading capability I've gone with the following resistors

3.3v: 3x 0.33ohm 50W (30A)
                                          5v: 6x 1ohm 50W (30A)
                                          12v1: 8x 5ohm 50W (19.2A)
                                          12v2: "
                                          -12: 1x 120ohm 10W (0.1A)
                                          5sb: 1x 5ohm 10W (1A)

All 27 resistors will have a switch in series with them

Comment

Working...
                                          X