Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shame on ameritech!

went to test phone jacks at my new house. all but one worked:

the future home office jack was dead. i undid the jack cover and found it was on much newer wire (cat 3) than the rest of the jacks. i was unable to trace such a wire until i went outside.

I found it went out the wall, through the siding, and out to the ameritech branded phone box, not to the main splice in the basement. lazy wire jockey i see...

here is the problem: we do not have service with the phone company. we have it with our cable instead. and because of that, i had to unplug the main splice from the phone box because it made all the jacks turn to static w/o a dial tone.

not to mention how they had no cable restraints on the cable outside... flopping in the wind, covered with vines.

anyway, i drilled a new hole through the floor to the basement. i took the old line though the hole to an unused old style 4-prong jack. i removed the jack as it was in a location where we would NEVER have a phone (pet rat room). i spliced in the new line to the two old ones that came out of the jack, electrical taped it over (to prevent shorts), and put the old jack upstairs back together.

normally i would have ran it to the main splice but the cable was too short.

it took way too long to do... the jacka**es at ametech used cheap cat 3 that was a b!tch to strip correctly...

i duct taped over the exterior hole... once i get some silicone sealant or the like, i will seal it with that.

i also need to find my stash of nail-on wire clips...

btw, i tried the new jack, exellent sound quality. (NO static).

idk if ameritech still exists, but i think how poorly wired the jack was is just STUPID! i guess they wanted to make people think twice before dumping their overpriced sh!tty phone service...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: shame on ameritech!

(pet rat room).
    that explains the name i guess
    oh man i had 2 pet rats two years ago...they were so cute
    i now have 2 g-pigs...

Comment

i have 17 pet rats right now, i have had a total of 52 since late 2003. they make great pets imho!
      sigpic

Comment

Is it true that rat shit smells like human shit? Off topic i know, but I'm curious.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

You don't let your rats use the phone?
          Oh wait. - This is 2010. - They must have cells.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

you dont abuse the fone?

you can power led night lights or pocket radio's from the fone line!

Comment

no... thier crap smells slightly different. mainly bvecase they can eat most of what we can, other than:

choclolate
              orange peel (the white stuff that is)
              avocado pit (best to avoid avocado period)
              anything cured
              artificial sweetners (more sensitive than we are

they do not use the phone but they have been known to mess with online orders if you hold them while online... they like to hop on the keyboard...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                Is it true that rat shit smells like human shit? Off topic i know, but I'm curious.
                if you keep your pets clean there is little smell.

Comment

yes. thre is little all around smell since they are kept clean. however, you learn the smell when one decides to drop a turd while being played with.

no more rat comments here, if you want to talk about them more, start a new thread elsewhere as this has become quite off topic.
                  sigpic

Comment

i swapped the tape for butt splices (crimp). i found my nail-on cable clips as well... i will have pics of the work tomorrow if all goes to plan.
                    sigpic

Comment

Much better to crimp your connections. Should be a superior connection.

Hope you have it grounded as that was an issue in my grandfathers 1950's era home.

Comment

they ARE crimped
                        sigpic

Comment

I know, you stated that earlier
                          I was just stating it is much better to crimp as you had done. I wasn't clear enough sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                            You don't let your rats use the phone?
                            Oh wait. - This is 2010. - They must have cells.
                            yes, they have countless cells. muscle cells, brain cells, skin cells, etc.

KIDDING!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X