Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modding gone mad/crazy

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post
    Aside from heat or interference issues, the mod seems awful from a usability standpoint unless you are using something which outputs a 15KHz signal (i.e., Powerstrip or Soft-15KHz). That probably wasn't a deal at the time that mod was dreamed up, but today you are going to have to lug your PC over to a classic TV (better than moving the mountain), or add an upscaler to even connect it to many modern TVs or computer monitor, let alone get acceptable quality and responsiveness. The PlayStation is tiny - even the original models - and its best output is RGB (the PS2 adds component).
    Or simply wire the composite video to a old PCI TV tuner card and the audio to the line in of a old sound card.Much easier than having to use Powerstrip and such.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Dunno what the lag to display is like on those, but probably not playable if it's anything like modern capture cards. Unless cards back then had a kind of pass-through-to-VGA function, that signal is traveling all the way through the PC, which isn't really quick.

Comment

and folks call me a computer ricer for hooking truck batteries to a ups and putting anderson powerpole panels and lighter sockets in the front!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post
          Dunno what the lag to display is like on those, but probably not playable if it's anything like modern capture cards. Unless cards back then had a kind of pass-through-to-VGA function, that signal is traveling all the way through the PC, which isn't really quick.
          By TV tuner card I was reffering to a mid-end capture card (like a Winfast TV2000 XP)that has at least:
          -1 RF output connector
          -1 S-Video connector
          -1 Composite connector.
          This is how my capture card is.For software to capture/view the output of S-Video and Composite I use DScaler and Winfast PVR2.There are also high end capture cards that use composite.(how else would you hook up a console to them then?RF quality on consoles isn't the best and I think those lack S-Video connectors but I don't really know)
          Last edited by Dan81; 04-16-2014, 01:18 AM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            That "computer" looks like it's ready for "Deer season."
            Aye Aye, captain
            See that "230 VAC" sticker on the back of the PSU in the first picture? When present, it indicates that you are dealing with an extra extra extra cheap Deer/L&C. On such units, they are cutting corners in every possible way imaginable. That means no 115V/230V selector switch either. I mean, don't you know how expensive those are?

It also most likely has only a single cap per rail and missing PI coils. I've seen many of these. They are so minimalistic that you may as well consider them as "art" (or a miracle, if they run).

Comment

am i the only one who noticed the idiot spray-painted the case with the side panels fitted.
              look at the mess down the right side.

and it looks like there may be a fan in the top ahead of the psu pointing up - i hate that mod!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                They are so minimalistic that you may as well consider them as "art" (or a miracle, if they run).
                Or, you could just call it an "AC Power Supply" because the connected components will be getting more AC than DC

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  am i the only one who noticed the idiot spray-painted the case with the side panels fitted.
                  look at the mess down the right side.
                  Looks to me like a metallic color--the best way would be to paint the panels, together but he could have jambed the chassis, first to help in those areas.
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

that's very............................

Comment

The guy lost me at "DELUX"

ROTFL .....

Comment

Oh man, I have forgotten about this thread. Now that you revived it and reminded me of it, I am going to save all of the pictures on my HDD. They are just priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post

and it looks like there may be a fan in the top ahead of the psu pointing up - i hate that mod!
                          Looks like the fan is pointing air downward, just like HVAC of many buildings...

The worst mod so far that I saw, was the little fan on the outer vent of the PSU! It counter-acts the PSU fan, IIRC... (the fan with the purple sticker)
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                          X