Undetected Good RAM Module HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undetected Good RAM Module HELP!

I have 2 Good RAMs on my mboard. Suddenly, the other one stopped functioning and now been removed so that I can check if its still functioning when slotted to different motherboard that support that kind of RAM. And so I did, and the RAM works smoothly with different board (same model from the previous one). What do you think the reason that the other board couldn't have it functioned? Would it be a voltage problem? I left the other RAM still seated on its slot and functioning well. what do you think is the problem and what is the possible solution?

Re: Undetected Good RAM Module HELP!

Take the possible bad ram and put it in the slot of the now working ram. If it works it might be the slot thats not working. A non working slot can be many things, voltage being one of them. Ive also seen pins bent due to heat and stuff. But verify that stick in the working slot first.

Comment

Bad caps [even small ones] in power to RAM and/or the Chipset can do that.
      RAM and chipset each have several small voltage regulators which have filter caps.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Digge, tried swapping from slot to slot and still no boot! NO BIOS beeps! Fan turns. I tried the other RAM and it booted up. At first, perhaps the RAM itself is faulty so I had it seated on different motherboard and the RAM worked with it smoothly.. and that means the RAM module is working fine.. The culprit motherboard has different RAM seated on it by now, and its working well with the motherboard .. but whenever I try to put in different RAM like the one I said .. same problem arises.. it stop booting .. voltage problem? caps? psu load? how would i know??

Comment

If this RAM is new to that motherboard then it may be a compatibility problem.

If that is not the case then read my last post.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

My guess is that its related to that particular stick. The other system you tried it in maybe didn't run it at its full speed? For instance if you have a DDR2 800 MHz stick and put it in a computer that only does DDR2 533 MHz at most that might make a bad stick work since under less "load" then normal.

Of coarse it might be a cap problem/voltage problem as PCBONEZ stated, and in that case that particular stick might be a bit more sensitive then the other for some reason.

Comment

Perhaps if cmosbios related what mobos and RAM he's playing with we could be more helpful.
              [hint hint]

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

actually, i have 2 ram modules seated on that motherboard. with same frequency and type, almost identical but different brand. then one day, PC hanged. I rebooted and then there it was... black screen .. no beeps.. what i did is removed one RAM at a time and have the system boot with a single RAM. With the other one RAM, the PC booted. So one RAM is Good. To check the other RAM, I removed the good one and replaced by the other RAM (previously working on this board) on the same slot where the other one seated. tried all the slots (four of them) and still no boot. there was a time it booted but it hanged. and when i tried to boot it again, same prob.. no display, no beeps...

I can buy and replace since this is an old system, but I still wnat to know what causes this kind of problem. I may encounter it again so when it happens I already know the solution.

Thanks guys. :-)

Comment

So it was working fine in that mobo and then quit.

Different RAM has different margins for error. [Acceptable tolerances.]

Given the scenario of working-to-not,,,

... One of two things happened.

- The one module went bad. [In which case it probably wouldn't work in a different mobo either.]

- The RAM circuit on the mobo degraded below what that module's tolerances will work with but are still good enough [perhaps just barely] to run the other module.

The second reason is why I suggested you check all the caps [including the small ones] near the RAM and chipset.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Think PCBONEZ is spot on here, even though it might be a bad stick, its more probable that the mobo just went slightly more out of tolerance then that particular stick could handle.

Comment

acceptable tolerances? The RAM circuit on the mobo degraded below what that module's tolerances will work with ? hmmmm .. sirs, how can we put it in layman's terms? is there any simple ways to check those tolerances that a certain module can handle?? by the ywa, PCBONEZ, i have a private message to you..
                      Last edited by cmosbios; 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM.

Comment

You didn't PM me, you posted a visitor comment in my profile.
                        Don't worry about it. - I've screwed that up myself a few times.

You can check some with a DMM but for other things you need an O'scope.
                        You can't do either one [really] without figuring out what all the chips are, finding the data sheets for the chips, tracing the circuits, and sketching it out as a schematic.
                        I -HAVE- done all that on a few boards just to understand how they work but it's way WAY too much work [adds a day or more] just to save one mobo.
                        FAR easier [and faster] just to replace the caps and see if it runs better.

There is a 'clock' that times the data pulses. [Sets RAM frequency.]
                        There is a chip that sets the voltage for the data pulses.
                        There is the actual power to the RAM.
                        There is a reference voltage.
                        And there are various chips that support the chips that create those.
                        And there are probably some I'm not remembering right now.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X