Dead Laptop after attempting to replace Inverter Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Laptop after attempting to replace Inverter Board

My laptop's backlight was not turning on, so I attempted to replace the inverter. While checking the voltage and testing the fuse on the old board, one of the leads from my MM slipped and touched the fuse and pin#1 on the connector leading to the mother board.

Now after replacing the inverter, the laptop does not turn on at all. The only thing I get is the charge light when I plug in the AC adapter.

I went as far as opening the laptop and checking the F1 fuse along with several other fuses and resistors but they all checked out fine.

Anyone have any pointers? BTW, this is a HP DV1000.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Dead Laptop after attempting to replace Inverter Board

Is Pin#1 Ground?

Perhaps a blown mosfet on the vrm circuit.

Comment

If you could post a few photos of where you had the "accident", then maybe members can point out specfic devices for to check.

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies. Pin#1 is 18V

With the battery in, I am getting ~18V at that point and also both ends of the fuse. This is the old board and I replaced it with a spare fuse I had for testing purposes with the same amperage but it's a fast acting fuse instead of the OEM slow blow.

Inverter Board:

Where I touched with the DMM:

Motherboard (red circle is where the inverter board/LCD panel plugs into):

Comment

This is weird. If you shorted 19V to ground there shouldn't be anything wrong. That is direct feed from power supply.

Unplug the screen completely and try to turn it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
            This is weird. If you shorted 19V to ground there shouldn't be anything wrong. That is direct feed from power supply.

Unplug the screen completely and try to turn it on.
            I unplugged the connector at the motherboard and it does not turn on. One thing I know for sure is if the inverter board is unplugged or not grounded, it will not boot up.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by ykilde View Post
              I unplugged the connector at the motherboard and it does not turn on. One thing I know for sure is if the inverter board is unplugged or not grounded, it will not boot up.

Thanks for your help.
              Hm ? No boot from inverter or no turn on ?

Comment

Try checking for a shorted mosfet near the LVDS Connector. Check that you have all standby voltages as well.

Comment

Try checking inverter ground then. It may also be burned.

Comment

our shop boss plugged a used inverter into his uncles laptop (dv6000), laptop sparked and died

then a few months later he plugged a used keyboard into this ladies laptop, same thing

oddly enough i'm posting this from my dv1000. and no you can't have my motherboard :P
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hm ? No boot from inverter or no turn on ?
                      No Boot from either the old or new inverter boards.

Originally posted by TECHMECHTry
                      checking for a shorted mosfet near the LVDS Connector. Check that you have all standby voltages as well.
                      Do I need to remove the MOSFETs to check for shorts? Some of the MOSFETs are too small to work with my soldering iron. I know, I should be using a hot air workstation. Also, are you talking about the motherboard or inverter board?

Try checking inverter ground then. It may also be burned.
                      Inverter ground is good. Before I shorted the two points, I forgot to install the screw (ground) and the laptop would not turn on.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X