This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Wonderful community. I have managed to fix and mangle a few things here over time but was too lazy to sign up for an account.
    Name: Boomer, but one of my grandkids changed it.
    Education:
    most of a comp sci degree back in the 90's, not useful now, I know.
    AS degree focusing on circuitry, networking, software, hardware from early 00's.
    Projects I've loved:
    Dollar Tree solar charger for $10 (8 solar lights for panels, one car charger, rest is tax).
    Salvaging parts. Always fun. Don't eat the shiny stuff.
    Voiding warranties. "no user serviceable parts" my fat a$$.
    Breaking EULA agreements, but only on my own stuff and only for me. I'll make you a recipe, but you have to take it home and cook it.
    $150 CMoy headphone amp. Yeah, I overbuilt. And the bad things is it got stolen along with some tools and things. What's worse, they dropped my schematics notebooks in the mud. Worse still, I did not photograph it. Face palm needed upgrading to face hammer, which happens frequently anyway because I'm not the most careful with tools. I'm careful enough for the tools as I recently caught the spinning Dremel, and didn't let a thing happen to the cut off wheel, except for smelling like an 1/8" deep instantly cauterized wound. Wanna see? PM me.
    Learning, helping find, and searching for solutions

Comment

Greetings from Peru to all . I'll always try to repair things :P. so I wish to learn a lot from you guys. THANKS!!!

Comment

Hi! New here ... well, sorta. I've picked up on bits and pieces through this site for quite some time. Usually through a Google search. Decided to finally sign up. I'm sure there are many here who are more qualified than myself, but maybe I can contribute at times. I have no formal schooling or training to speak of. Hands on, school of hard knocks for the last 16 years with the same repair company. Lot's of trial and error per say ... for me, hands on and figure it out is the best tool.

We recently upgraded some shop equipment and I will find myself doing more board level stuff than we have been. Seems this would be great place to bounce questions/tips.

In the meantime, I'm having fun with our new microscope and hot-air station. You'd laugh at what I had been using for so many years. A x5 magnifying glass and an old dated soldering iron. Sometimes a pocket torch ... lol. Ever replace an IC with a pocket torch?? Takes mad skill. Just happy to have the right equipment now, after beating my boss over the head for months about it.

Chuck

Comment

Been using this site for years so figured I'd finally join. Background in IT but none in electronics. I've been grabbing dead TV's for free and trying to fix them and teach myself. This site has taught me a lot.

Comment

Hola!! Tengo 38 años and my inglish is not good enough, despite that, i work repairing computers since i was 18 and the resaon i create an acount here is because i want to learn electronics. A friend recommended this site, and here i am. Wish you all a good year!! Peace and love..! (this is not a rock and roll concert but this may work here too) Thank. Gracias!

Comment

Hello all,
              My name is exactly what my useer says it is, Marty McCall
              I am 46, live in King George, Va.
              I joined this forum because I need assistance with a Vizio television issue.
              I work in the electronic security field and this is just a bit outside of my expertise. Hopefully I can gain the knowledge here on what the issue would be with my tv.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am from Columbus OH, 38 years old, professionally a network and system admin. I also repair DSLR and various photo equipment as a side job. I am also interested in car electronics and home audio. Take care all!

Comment

Hello, I'm 47yrs old from Bath, Pa. I love working with electronics and having trouble with a LG Plasma TV. I'm hoping to be able to repair it after posting in this forum. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                    thank u have a good suport sir

Comment

sir i want hp g6-2103tu bios bin file and g6-2230tx bios bin file sir thank u

Comment

Originally posted by prabhusony4 View Post
                        sir i want hp g6-2103tu bios bin file and g6-2230tx bios bin file sir thank u
                        i am a laptop service engineer sir please suport me sir thank u

Comment

hi hello all, any dout ask me i well help u in laptop and led,lcd problems i suport

Comment

Hello All,

I just signed up to this forum to find information and ask some questions. My name is Phil, I live near Mankato, Minnesota, USA.
                            I previously got a free (dead) LG LCD TV from someone and found a repair kit online that contained the correct caps for that model. It was a pretty easy repair so I was kind of surprised by that and happy to get a nice TV for the cost of a few capacitors.
                            So anyway, it seems like there is a lot of good info in this forum. I am looking out for free TVs now, have one right now that I'm trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Comment

Hi all!

Quick intro...26 m london...I wouldn't consider myself an electronic expert in any way, shape or form. If I can ever help anyone, I will try.

I'll be looking for help with my LG Plasma TV please lookout for my post

Comment

Hi.

Zoran Velinov
                                29 m Vinica, Macedonia

Interested in different sciеnces but most on electronic.

Recently start with component level repair.

Somethimes my english maybe will not be so good.

Salute to everyone.

Thanks

Comment

Hello!

Comment

Hi, my name's Roman.
                                    I'm a 26 year old male from Seattle, WA, United States so, PST time-zone.
                                    All around nerd, built my first computer @ 8 years old. I consider myself a bit of a hobbyist when it comes to computers & hardware and am always looking for knowledge.
                                    I test PAC-ROM for ClearChris for the Galaxy S3 and he referred me to this site.
                                    I plan to document the opening and inspection of my new eBay soldering station and post it here, so keep on the lookout as I'm sure it might be interesting to some of you.
                                    Thanks!

Comment

Hi Im Tomas a High School electronics teacher and hobbies i want to learn more on LCD, LED, and Plasma TV Repair

Comment

Hello this is John I am looking forward to enjoying this site

Comment

Hi there knowledge seekers,

I'm John VanderHeyden aka heyvan. I started repairing tube-type TV sets in 1954. I am still working as an engineer at 77. I am also a high-school dropout and a Navy vet. "Still learning - after all these years"

I avoid emoticons, but I do say "HAVE FUN" (fixin' stuff)

Comment

Working...
                                          X