Corsair HX1000 not powering on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair HX1000 not powering on

Nothing happening when powering on this psu, fuse is ok and I do have power both in and out of the rectifier. I cant find a short between 3.3, 5, 12v1 or 12v2 either.

Any ideas how to proceed ?
    Attached Files

Re: Corsair HX1000 not powering on

Do you have stand-by rail?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

it probably died from a lack of oxygen!

seriously, they need to start putting these 600w+ psu's in double-height cases like the old days.
      pushing it all together like that is bullshit.

Comment

It was about prestige to have 1kW unit back than so they had to try
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
          Do you have stand-by rail?
          Yes I do, it's at 5.131V and pson is 3.513V.

Originally posted by stj View Post
          it probably died from a lack of oxygen!

seriously, they need to start putting these 600w+ psu's in double-height cases like the old days.
          pushing it all together like that is bullshit.
          Hehe you might be right, hopefully with some fresh oxygen I will be able to get it back to life.

Comment

Back from vacation and have some time to play with this psu again, I'm taking the boards out of the casing to have a look on the underside.

Any suggestions for what to check while I'm at it ?

Comment

I'd guess some small SMD components on the feedback. There are shitloads of them, this is lately the usual condition for which PSUs die. The more complicated it is the higher the chance something goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                Back from vacation and have some time to play with this psu again, I'm taking the boards out of the casing to have a look on the underside.

Any suggestions for what to check while I'm at it ?
                check high voltage on filter capacitors.
                Than check main dcdc converter ic (what is it? ) power voltage.

Comment

I do I have 330V on both main capacitors so both rectifiers are working, the psu has a monitoring ic from Siti, a ps229.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to mention, the ps229 is provided 4.5V

Comment

I tried to heat up main and and riser board components with a heatgun but it made no difference, didn't turn on using freeze spray either.

Borrowed a flir one and took some photos, as you can see both 500W supplies heat up in the same place around primary capacitors and both riser cards to the left of main capacitors heat up equally.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Had a series of Corsair Power Supplies fail.

First was an HX620 failed at 2.5 years of age (5 Year Corsair warrantee) wouldn't start PC one day contacted Corsair technical help by telephone and was sweet talked into putting a 13Amp fuse in the plug which resulted in a shower of sparks out of the back of the PSU onto my face as I was plugging the mains back in to the PSU which also tripped the Earth fault RCD protector and Circuit Breaker MCB in my house fuse box - next was the...

Corsair AX850 exploded at switch on (with shrapnel strewn throughout PC case) at 18 months of age (7 year Corsair warrantee) had double factory seal stickers (one almost exactly stuck over the top of another sticker) - did corsair sell me "B" stock/a refurbished PSU?

Another Corsair AX850 (single stickers this time) just over a year old then suddenly no start with powerful burning smell - then....

AX860i TEN months of use only - total hell using the included digital link to USB interface gadget to control the PSU fan behaviour using Corsair supplied windows software - managed to get the fan to run constantly as I wanted for reliability BUT only from cold boot - any subsequent auto hibernation and the fan would never run again until a cold reboot - eventually AX860i would not allow PC to start until you had applied mains power and waited for an hour then PC would finally start.

Finally couldn't take any more suspense with Corsair and bought a Seasonic P1200 1200W PSU 80+ Platinum in 2014 with a MANUAL switch to make the fan run slowly all the time and so far all is OK.

Since then have got rid of all my Corsair Memory chips etc. as well - there are better brands out there!

I managed to send them all back to Corsair for warranty replacements and then sell off the brand new complete retail boxed Power Supplies they sent me under warranty - you might be able to do that yourself.

I know Seasonic was the manufacturer for the Corsair HX620 but not the others which were far worse - who is the manufacturer Corsair are using for the one you are working on?

Exploding Corsair PSU's were part of the reason I got more involved in fixing things/capacitors etc. the disruption and hassle every single time a Corsair PSU went Ka-Boom was such a waste of time it makes you realise it is useful to carry out reliability upgrades as well as the actual repair.

However some of the capacitors for the Corsair PSU's were listed at around £30 at RS Components with no real viable alternative / substitute part so a pair of those £30 capacitors suddenly makes cashing in the warranty very appealing!

PS Love the concept of using the Thermal Imager to look for heat anomalies as a clue.
                        Last edited by UHU; 09-03-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

£30 caps? got a part number / type?

Comment

Originally posted by UHU View Post
                            I know Seasonic was the manufacturer for the Corsair HX620 but not the others which were far worse - who is the manufacturer Corsair are using for the one you are working on?
                            This one is built by Channel Well Technology (CWT).

Comment

Eh, 30 pounds, are you kidding me? That's already more than half the price of a used, working unit.

Comment

Part number for an item I did not buy - sorry not from 6-7 years years ago!

It was from the first AX850 (the one that exploded).

It was one of the (from what was left of it) hefty sized capacitors inside - one of which (literally) went Ka-Boom - therefore replaced the exploded AX850 PSU under the manufacturers warranty (had to ship it out to the Corsair Netherlands Return center first - they accept just the PSU alone without any modular cables etc.) and eventually sold its identical replacement off to get it out the door and away from me!

Is Channel Well Technology (CWT) known / well regarded?

Some of these OEM manufacturers Corsair (and others) use do not even have a website and like to stay well hidden - which does make you wonder about them.

Just looked at Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMP.../dp/B00154QAXQ

if this is the same PSU it is no longer sold but it does mention that Corsair give a FIVE year warranty on your PSU - could be a way of turning a PSU doorstop into something useful/cash - if Corsair no longer make it Corsair can probably no longer supply you the same item under warranty which might be a good thing?

Check first what Corsair are planning to send you as a replacement before you ship them anything.
                                Last edited by UHU; 09-04-2016, 05:34 AM.

Comment

chances are the part was £5 and you didnt notice it was a "u.s." item that invokes an £18 shipping charge!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    chances are the part was £5 and you didnt notice it was a "u.s." item that invokes an £18 shipping charge!!
                                    Well either way it still created a barrier (I am not paying that!) to repairing the PSU - 6 years ago alternative capacitors in the right values and life ratings etc. were not easily available in the UK so I didn't waste any time dwelling on it - I just warranted it!

At those prices I realized it was total waste of my time to even attempt a repair - Corsairs PSU had created a problem so I found the most efficient way was to dump the problem back onto Corsair by actually cashing in on Corsairs Warranty.

If you ask Corsair nicely they will arrange a UPS Courier pick up at their cost to ship it to the Netherlands - then they ship one to you from Hong Kong by UPS - once did a (refunded later) charge card deposit on one of those PSU's so did not have to wait for mine to first get to the Netherlands and be processed - Corsair just shipped one immediately from Hong Kong.

Got sick of Corsair when their AX860i had a built in test switch that lit up an LED when you pressed it and the manual said something like test it before you fit it with test switch - well when it failed as well guess what Corsairs test switch still lit the LED to indicate test passed! What total rubbish - the test switch implies Corsair PSU's need to be tested before being fitted implying that Corsair don't have much faith in their own (outsourced) product - I expect a brand new PSU to work and not to be in need of a pre-fitment test as Corsairs manual recommends!

Anyway who in this thread is going to suggest an actual solution to fix the Thread posters PSU and get their Corsair PSU working again? That is after all why they started the thread in the first place.

Personally my suggestion is to use the Warranty to get a new one then sell it off as brand new (it will be) and buy a different make of PSU - it worked for me!

The Thermal Imaging Camera was a good idea - but who will actually give the winning suggestion of exactly how to fix it?

If nobody has any worthwhile suggestion on how to actually finally solve the original problem by fixing it - Warranty it! Problem solved.

Comment

Wish I could let Corsair have the problem but I bought this psu a few years back defective so I will keep working on it

Comment

Working...
                                      X