PS4 Wi-Fi chip bad joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 Wi-Fi chip bad joint

First off, English isn't my primary language so I don't know all the technical terminology. So I ended up owning this PS4 slim that had a problem pairing controller. Once opened, I removed the WiFi chip and some joint ended up like in photo (I don't know the technical terms, if you could tell me how it's called I'll appreciate). How can I fix this?
    Attached Files

Re: PS4 Wi-Fi chip bad joint

oh shit!

you need to rebuild the pads - watch some luis rossmann video's on utube.

Comment

"Cratered BGA Pad" is something you can look up on Google for some info. I second looking at Luis Rossmann on YouTube on repairs.
      -Thomas
      I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Thanks you guys! Really appreciate your support, hopefully the next reply will be for telling you I succeed

Comment

Sorry guys, I've seen many videos from Louis but didn't found one with a similar problem to mine, could you link one please?

Comment

The general idea would be to:

1) Identify where the electrical net would go to.
            2) Identify where you can jumper something to that BGA ball.

In your case: The red box looks like it's a signal pad that is connected to the via immediately to the left. You can scrape off the green solder mask from the via and add a 'jumper' wire (really thin wire -- 32 AWG (8 mil) or smaller wire for the red box.

The purple boxes appear to be connected to GND. You may be able to scrape off the green solder mask around it and get a copper foil sheet and tack it down "outside" of the BGA region.
            Attached Files
            -Thomas
            I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

So I kind of resolved, now the PS4 turn on and update (with the non working module it just couldn't giving me an error) but I haven't an official controller, just a nacon, and can't get past the screen where it says to press the PS button
              Attached Files

Comment

make sure the usb cable is connected to the first port

Comment

So guys I think I messed up badly. I had the occasion to try an original DS4 but nothing, the PS4 was stucked. After some soldering and desolring the WiFi module the PS4 doesn't turn on. I've tested the PSU and it's fine, how could I try to locate the error? I've checked for missing component next to the area where I applied the hot gun but nothing is missing

Comment

So found the problem, I dissoldered a little resistor, could someone tell me what resistor is it?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sautzer View Post
                      So found the problem, I dissoldered a little resistor, could someone tell me what resistor is it?
                      It's likely just a pull up or pull down resistor. Can you identify if one of the pads is connected to a power rail or ground? If so, a pull up, or a pull down resistor is likely - in which case, start with a 10kOhm resistor.

Other questions:
                      - What's the board model number? (alternatively, what's the PS4 model number?)
                      - What's on the primary side in that general area?
                      -Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by ngth82 View Post
                        It's likely just a pull up or pull down resistor. Can you identify if one of the pads is connected to a power rail or ground? If so, a pull up, or a pull down resistor is likely - in which case, start with a 10kOhm resistor.

Other questions:
                        - What's the board model number? (alternatively, what's the PS4 model number?)
                        - What's on the primary side in that general area?
                        So none of the pad is connected to ground (I tried to see if there's continuity with the brown pad on the board, I'm a noob sorry). Also the PS4 is a SLIM CUH-2016A B01Y, motherboad SAD-001 1-981-279-21. On the primary side there's the NOR chip and the southbridge

On another forum they says that is a 22 Ohms.

Comment

Here's a closer look at my motherboard
                          Attached Files

Comment

If it's not connected to GND or VCC, then it's probably a series resistor - 10 to 33 Ohm seems reasonable.

I compared your top and bottom pictures and traced where it goes. Looks like a 5-6 mil wide microstrip trace from the IC (top side), to a through hole via to the bottom side, the (missing) resistor, then a via to an internal layer (no microstrip trace on the top side).

There's no datasheet for that IC either... but with the pics you provided, its a series resistor for the signal to snub out any over/undershoot caused by the driver on that IC. If you don't have a small value resistor, you can bridge it to begin with. Power it on and see if it works for testing.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ngth82; 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM.
                            -Thomas

Comment

So I did like that but putting a disc won't power it up (I'm a noob and in the process I broke the power button and it's flex cable, tried to repair it but didn't worked but if I move it, the PS4 turn on led on the power button randomly)
                              Attached Files

Comment

If I put to ground the lef, they power on, so I think that the powerboard is still functional

Comment

Originally posted by sautzer View Post
                                  If I put to ground the lef, they power on, so I think that the powerboard is still functional
                                  Well I dissoldered the bridge I made where it was the resistor and this trick still works

Comment

Working...
                                  X