This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Should not matter if you RMA directly to Corsair. Check their site and try starting the procedure. I bet they'll want ya to send it to some other country anyway, they don't have service center everywhere.

I doubt wou'll be able to repair such carnage anyway, the HV usually burns too many components when it blasts like this.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      Yeah this platform is not that great, but if it's only two months old, it is under warranty, no?
      Not anymore because he opened it up...

Shouldn't Corsair have some kind of Worldwide Warranty??

Comment

That "Mercury" PSU looks like a Deer! (The cooked PCB!) Or at least acts like one...
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          That "Mercury" PSU looks like a Deer! (The cooked PCB!) Or at least acts like one...
          Fries like a Deer.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
            It actually is, and they were stupid enough to mark a ERL-35 transformer (it was a real ERL-35 transformer - I know that because ERL-28 and 33 usually have a square top while 35 has a rounded top) with EI-33ASG. That's Deer for you
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

So, this came with new $30 BaoFeng radio. The LED had a certain rolling flicker to it, and the PSU weighed about the same as an AA battery. This one didn't' have time to bloat and toast, but that's coming.... Im going to see how long it lasts full load in a hot gas stream!

So we start with the case label.

Not inspiring....

And it gets worse. Here's the topside of the board.

Insulation? We don't need none of that....... Single diode flyback topology, no input filtering, fusible resistor, no Pi filtering.... G-Arbage!

Topside-BottomWise now. They at least tried with the compliance...

Don't let the wires bewilder you, they are all of 3 strands of copper-clad. holes in the solder mask, dry joints galore, that main filter has a lifted pad. ignore the missing LED, i did that. The bloody thing lit up my room!

And the money shot!

Mains filter: A measly 4.7uF, 400v.
              Secondary: 470uF, 16v
              Bootstrap: A sad 4.7uF, 50v
              All ChengX (Bang eXplosion)
              The "safety" cap is nothing of the kind! "222 1Kv", no compliance markings.

Goontrons rating: F for Fire Hazard.

Heres the PSU im replacing it with: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2741
              Attached Files
              Last edited by goontron; 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM.
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Nothing but quality...

/sarcasm

You can always, wait...
                EOL it!

Wanna bet the AC line wires melt before that fusistor opens?
                Those disc caps misused as safety caps are the things of "electrocuted by cellfone."

Last edited by kaboom; 07-17-2017, 05:47 PM.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Ill post the carnage after the hot gas stream experiment. 7000 BTUs ought to do it...
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    Ill post the carnage after the hot gas stream experiment. 7000 BTUs ought to do it...
                    shango066 style...
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                    Originally posted by shango066
                    All style and no substance.
                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

And the money shot!

Mains filter: A measly 4.7uF, 400v.
                      Secondary: 470uF, 16v
                      Bootstrap: A sad 4.7uF, 50v
                      All ChengX (Bang eXplosion)

Heres the PSU im replacing it with: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...postcount=2741
                      Those ChengX are fake, there is no CD3000 series from ChengX, I actually found out recently that in the earlier samsung chargers, those white 5V 1A ones, they used ChengX capacitors in them, they look nothing like half of the shit we see.
                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-18-2017, 04:36 AM. Reason: Shortened quote
                      Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                        I present the WORST PSU AT I've seen.
                        In the photo that I measured the voltage, I almost electrocuted, because of the camera, I did not fix and I did not put the hand correctly with the tip of the multimeter. XD.
                        Kids, do not do this at home xD.
                        Going back to the subject, I find it VERY regrettable to leave a huge hole where the input of 220V DC ...
                        In addition, the primary capacitors bloweds...
                        Fuck yeah Peakmeter, those are awesome meters, I have one!
                        Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                          Those ChengX are fake, there is no CD3000 series from ChengX, I actually found out recently that in the earlier samsung chargers, those white 5V 1A ones, they used ChengX capacitors in them, they look nothing like half of the shit we see.
                          Your shitting me? Undersized and knockoffs of a Crapacitor brand? Vhat the fuck?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Single diode flyback topology...
                            I don't think that is an actual topology.

It is just a standard flyback topology. That little 8-pin SOIC SMD chip on the bottom is probably an offline controller with built-in FET of some sort. Nice to see that, but there is no optocoupler with it, so the IC is likely running in open-loop mode - which means the regulation will be shit. Then again, seeing how the rest is built, this should come as no surprise.

I really don't understand why people waste resources to produce garbage like this. It just doesn't do anyone any good.

ignore the missing LED, i did that. The bloody thing lit up my room!

I have a different cheap power adapter like that as well. Never thought that frosted lens LEDs could be so bright. Mine has a red LED, and it is the brightest red LED I have ever seen. It literally burns your eyes upon sight - worse than staring into a toy laser.

Ugh! And you can see it goes between primary negative bus and secondary "ground". They could have saved more money on the adapter by not installing that cap, and it would actually have been safer. Imagine that!

Or "D" for Death Hazard?

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                            Those ChengX are fake...
                            Does it matter?
                            Fake or real... Cheng/Chong/Chang caps are shit and that is all that matters.
                            Last edited by momaka; 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              ... That little 8-pin SOIC SMD chip on the bottom is probably an offline controller with built-in FET of some sort. Nice to see that, but there is no optocoupler with it, so the IC is likely running in open-loop mode - which means the regulation will be shit. Then again, seeing how the rest is built, this should come as no surprise.
                              I noticed that, too. It's an unregulated power supply, maybe semi-unregulated. If it's a Topswitch type regulator it's probably regulating its own Vcc, and the output winding is of a chosen ration to that primary Vcc winding. So its line regulation might be decent, but the load regulation will be as you described (probably in the +/- 7%-10% range).
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Failed mains cap on Benq monitor power board causes fuse to blow. No other components shorted though. I was expecting at least the FET to have gone bang, but no :|
                                Attached Files
                                Wattevah...

Comment

Looks like there may have been a electrical surge that caused the capacitor to fail.
                                  And i think the fuse failed for the same reason as i don't think fuses are designed to blow up like that.

Or it could be poorly badly made parts.
                                  Last edited by RukyCon; 07-21-2017, 08:23 AM.
                                  I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                                    Looks like there may have been a electrical surge that caused the capacitor to fail.
                                    And i think the fuse failed for the same reason as i don't think fuses are designed to blow up like that.

Or it could be poorly badly made parts.
                                    Yes there definitely was, as the guy who brought it in himself said it popped after a power outage...
                                    Wattevah...

Comment

That must've been a really high energy, fairly long surge! I don't see an MOV or other surge protection device, so it would be vulnerable to surges, but that looks like a ceramic body fuse. Usually ceramic fuses are chosen for resistance to shattering. That looks like substantial arcing continued after the fuse wire fused (i.e. the voltage was high enough to sustain an arc from end cap to end cap). That is really an impressive sight!

BTW, I love the genuine Y-caps and the slots cut in the PCB to increase the creepage distance.
                                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                        That must've been a really high energy, fairly long surge! I don't see an MOV or other surge protection device, so it would be vulnerable to surges, but that looks like a ceramic body fuse. Usually ceramic fuses are chosen for resistance to shattering. That looks like substantial arcing continued after the fuse wire fused (i.e. the voltage was high enough to sustain an arc from end cap to end cap). That is really an impressive sight!

BTW, I love the genuine Y-caps and the slots cut in the PCB to increase the creepage distance.
                                        Too bad I didn't take a shot of the whole board....now that I think about it, yes, you're right: I don't recall seeing any MOVs either. I fixed it today: replaced the mains cap and worked straight away, so I'm still astounded the FET didn't short out...fuse must've gone off in time.
                                        Wattevah...

Comment

Just speculating ... if the MOST AT was an 800V part, the cap might have absorbe the hit, shorted, and blown the fuse. IOW the 420 cap might have protected the MOSFET. Not good design, relying on an almost accidental sequence of events.
                                          PeteS in CA

Comment

Working...
                                          X