Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VPower VT-300ATX (DEER)... I don't think a recap will revive this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPower VT-300ATX (DEER)... I don't think a recap will revive this one.

I'll let the pictures do the talking here...

And there you have it!

On the output side, the smaller caps are Jun Fu and the larger are CapXon. All the caps on the output side are domed, and some of them are burnt (though this could be from nearby component failure).
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: VPower VT-300ATX (DEER)... I don't think a recap will revive this one.

wowee bet that smelled nice....did it take anything else out?
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The only thing it took out was the floppy drive...

Believe it or not, but this thing still tried to boot the computer up! But it made a very bad screeching noise while it was doing it.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Had the fan died perhaps?

Does not look like a failure even a Deer would manage all on it's own...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, the fan is seized.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

As it still worked, complete recap (including the smallest caps - as they are probably all bad from the heat) would probably fix it - but it's not worth that.

Comment

I would also have to replace the other charred components and the melted wiring... def not worth it...
              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Fire!
                Did you need a hose to put that out?
                Jim

Comment

cues up beavis and butthead fire heh heh

Comment

Not worth recapping - these units are junk anyway; it looks like there is rust on the cover. Should the sale (and import) of power supplies made by Deer/L&C be banned on grounds of poor quality (especially in developing countries)?
                    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

That's not rust, that's burnt electronics!
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

YECCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the worst PSU fail I've seen, Hipro with seized fan, didn't look nearly as bad as that!
                        The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Yup - that's a Deer/L&C all right. It may not be worth it, but this one is probably fixable - caps, fan, wiring and a real TO-220 10A Schottky-barrier rectifier on the 12v rail should make it usable. On second thoughts, just scavenge it for parts - there are usually fairly nice primary-side HV BJTs and FETs, as well as passable secondary rectifiers on some of these - I've found Fujitsu & Mospec.

Comment

I saw a similar effect inside the PSU of the work PC that died. The fan had been dead for some time, and the PC had been left on 24/7 - therefore the board was severely charred inside. In addition, some of the caps had clearly vented. There was glue all over the place, and a venting cap had caused a bubble to appear in the glue over the top. I assume the bubble was only made because the intense heat (no fan) caused the glue to revert to a liquid state.
                            You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
                              bubble was only made because the intense heat (no fan) caused the glue to revert to a liquid state.
                              Volcano Caps!
                              Jim

Comment

According to info from a PSU mfr, Fan failure is one of the major causes
                                affecting PSU life span. So, if you plan on running your system 24/7 you
                                better give it a good fan. I found the following info about fan bearings
                                which may be helpful :

bearing types // life span in general
                                sleeve 5000 - 8000 hrs
                                one ball ~ 40000 hrs
                                dual ball 50000 - 100000 hrs
                                hydraulic (AVC patented) ~50000 hrs
                                rifle (coolermaster) ~ 40000 hrs
                                hypro (ADDA patented) ~50000 hrs
                                MegLEV (sunon) ~50000 hrs

I suggest at least not to use a sleeve bearing fan although
                                they are usually the cheapest.
                                Last edited by hkivan; 06-03-2006, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Many PSUs use crappy fans - sleeve bearings almost everywhere. Sleeve bearing fan can also run for years - but it must not be cheap crap.F
                                  Fans can be also fake - you open a bad fan with "ball bearing" on sticker but there's sleeve bearing inside. It was very common for 5cm fans used on CPUs ~6 years ago.

Comment

OEMs such as Apple or HP usually specify ball-bearing fans.
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

CoolerMaster no longer offers the rifled bearing fans=sad because they were good.

I've used ADDA HyPro in 80mm, very sweet fan. Quieter than same speced Japanaflos. The HyPros are not easy to find and co$t more.

Scythe has a new line of ceramic bearing 120s out now that are supposed to live 150k hours.

Many of the cheaper PSUs that fit 120s have sleeve bearings and think they will live longer because they are on the cooler intake side of the unit. I'll pass on that idea.

dood, the last pic looks like a splash plate out of an old stove

Comment

wahey it turned into fan chat again

what is the opinion about the following fans ; xilence, noiseblocker, arcticcooling , akasa

any good or just eXtreme bullshit?
                                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
                                        X