Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Considering building a retro system

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I've used them to test audio equipment (mainly head units) because they tend to have beefy +12v rails. You're 100% correct that AT PSU's are very useful outside the PC world!
    I use pulls from 1U & 2U servers as they tend to have much higher capacities and can operate paralleled.

I use a pair of the top supplies (12V @ 70A) wired in series to power my electric wheelbarrow. Anderson connector makes them easy to install and remove (card edge connector is a PITA when you're interfacing to discrete 12AWG wires)

I'll be switching to the bottom supply (12V @ 90A) as soon as I can collect a few more of them.

If my power needs are more modest, I have a bunch of (keypad!) programmable triple output supplies that I can use.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      you really want a bunch of 1meg or even 4meg sims.
      4meg was high-end - so wont be cheap - specially if the amiga/st crowd see them!!
      Yes, hence I was lucky to get rid of the 256K units...

I still have a few 30-pin 1M and 4M units somewhere... but even so, these are tiny...

Comment

for a dos system, 4meg was good - 8 was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          for a dos system, 4meg was good - 8 was huge.
          Most DOS apps couldn't make use of it. I ran a 13M 386 in the mid 80's but only used the extra RAM for AutoCAD.

Comment

Working...
          X