Defluxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defluxing?

I have done many small soldering projects myself, and have only heard a bit about flux removal. Ive never done it, and never had a problem.

Is it realy necessary for motherboards?

This kindof worries me, as nowhere I can think of localy would sell it. Even my local electronic part place doesn't have much in the way of soldering tools from what I can remember.

good question. the most common flux in solders is rosin which is a combination of mild organic acids extracted from pine trees or instead a synthetic compound is used. it is probably only very mildly corrosive.

considering that this cap replacement stuff is pretty pioneering, there is probably no data on the subject.

[ lets have a round up of what everyone is doing, please post guys. ]

i think motherboards are probably more protected from flux damage than pcbs with exposed traces.

flux cleaning is also good because it makes the job look much more pro, flux can be mistaken for burn marks.

you can get "flux-off" spray at most electronics stores. you can also get solder which contains no-clean flux core.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Rubbing alcohol and a stiff bristle toothbrush has always worked fine for me.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
        Rubbing alcohol and a stiff bristle toothbrush has always worked fine for me.
        I agree.

In addition, I worked for a company and we were doing microminiature component placement/mods. We were using a water soluble flux. Cleanup was easy. Hot water and a toothbrush. Then blow it out/let it air dry. Not sure the exact reason for using the water soluble flux, the brain isn't working right now. Anyway, thats what I use on my boards.
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069
            In addition, I worked for a company and we were doing microminiature component placement/mods. We were using a water soluble flux. Cleanup was easy. Hot water and a toothbrush. Then blow it out/let it air dry. Not sure the exact reason for using the water soluble flux, the brain isn't working right now. Anyway, thats what I use on my boards.
            All major printed circuit board manufacturers formerly used rosin-based solder for all types of soldering (hand, wave, solder paste, etc.) and freon for flux removal. Then, the EPA outlawed use of freon (due to its effect on the ozone layer), so everyone transitioned to water-soluble flux and hot-water board wash systems. I was working at HP when they made the change in 1990. Whenever I repair a system, I always clean all the boards under running hot water and let them dry thoroughly. It's amazing how many people think that's bad for the boards, not realizing they've already been washed at least once in their life.

Comment

I do the same thing with hot water, one guy wouldn't believe me, the company I work for used to have rows of plain old dishwashers for cleaning PCB's...

I also use flux off or plain old isopropyl alcohol and a brush..
              Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Working...
              X