HP-15b018CA Bios dump include the KBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP-15b018CA Bios dump include the KBC?

So I've got this HP-15b018CA motherboard that I grabbed a BIOS dump from. While I was troubleshooting the board, the KBC (ENE KB9028G) let the smoke out. I'm able to get another KBC, but I have no programmer for it. Is this one of those KBC that will be programmed from the BIOS chip (I've read that certain KBC will take the programming from the BIOS)? How could I tell from looking through the BIOS bump if that is the case with this chip?

Re: Bios dump include the KBC?

If you would have posted your dump here,then it could be stated with certainity that your dump has kbc bios in it or not. usually, the main 8mb dump has kbc dump. Your another query-whether it will program automatically or not(as long as new kbc is blank) cannot be confirmed as i never replaced kbc on this board. On some hp it does program automatically but in most of the cases it doesnt program automatically and you need a kbc programmer to do the job. So no concrete answer from me.

Comment

OK here is the dump. If you could take a look and see if the KBC is in it that would be great. But for future learning, what is it you are looking for that would indicate that? I'm familiar with using a HEX editor, or is there some other piece of software that works better?
      Attached Files

Comment

EC content begins at 20 0000 in this dump.
        Search for string "ene" or "ite" depending on the ec type.
        As i see you have already changed the win key to xxxx -s, that's a good practice.
        Another way is to unpack official bios update with phoenixtool and look for appropriate size module in the list of modules.

Comment

Working...
        X