Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Directly replacing NiMh cells with Li-Ion cells - bad idea ?

laptop pulls? those are usually only rated for 2.8A continuous load before bad shit ensues!!

Comment

No, they were bought brand new by me personally from a local shop, though I believe some packs may use those indeed...
      Wattevah...

Comment

BMS boards are only a few dollars. Look at 4S 30A 14.8V li-ion battery BMS using S-8254AA protection IC. They have pack over-current and over-discharge, over-charge protection.

Comment

i suspect this is the type of repair shop that would re-use the solder if they could.

Comment

Alas, even having a BMS board that handles 30A, it doesn't help if the cells themselves can't handle 30A.

Incidentally, if people saw the few posts I made about one of my HTs that someone swapped 7 NiCd cells for 3 Li-ion with NO protection circuitry... surprisingly the radio still works...and I am still thinking about how to best add protection circuitry as currently there's no good way of charging the pack, either.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              i suspect this is the type of repair shop that would re-use the solder if they could.
              Correct...not so much the shop itself (it certainly could afford A LOT more - even a superficial glance at its budget tells me this !), but this particular chap who I suppose doesn't have the guts to ask the boss for better/new stuff so he makes due with what he has... Remember: used capacitors in clients' stuff - can't get over that ! >_>

Not sure how much a motor on one of those handheld vacs draws at startup TBH, though I remember a friend of mine had one whose batteries died and he tried hard-wiring it to a 5a power brick and it entered protection upon startup. The only way he was able to get it going was to use a PC power supply. I was thinking of designing an inrush current limiter for him to hopefully keep the load down at least until after the motor has spun up to keep the brick from turning off, but now that I think back, I think the RUN current itself was greater than 5a anyway, so it was no good. I'm surprised at how much current a small motor draws ! :|
              Wattevah...

Comment

until a motor is moving, it's a dead short.
                and it probably needs the current to start - so inrush limiting has to be done carefully.

Comment

I'm still keeping an eye on my colleague who is still working on this vac. Curious to see how it ends up Today he fiddled with it some more and the vac itself actually works, but doesn't charge, at least not properly: the LED on the dock is not coming on, though it does push some voltage into an otherwise low battery, for he tried draining the batteries with the vac itself and then charging it on the dock and it appeared to work...how well is debatable and could very well shorten the lifespan of the batteries...

I'm also laughing my ass off because this PERFECTLY reminded me of THIS episode from Dexter's laboratory - I won't spoil it for you, so feel free to watch
                  Wattevah...

Comment

so is the idiot still using lithiums in it?

Comment

'fraid so...he even cracked open another laptop pack to score himself some cells to try out Something's gonna pop in his face one day
                      Wattevah...

Comment

show him this!!!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q

Comment

He will burn down the house while charging the batteries when he is not at home.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I've charged my Kenwood's batteries overnight once by mistake... lucky lucky it didn't blow up as there's no protection circuitry...

Comment

then add some - you get 10 for a $ now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                He will burn down the house while charging the batteries when he is not at home.
                                Worse, since it's not HIS vacuum
                                Wattevah...

Comment

then add some - you get 10 for a $ now!!!
                                  But aren't people supposed to like living on the edge?

Comment

not like that.

i was testing some used 18650's yesterday and charging them at 1Ah,
                                    one got so hot i pulled it out and threw it into the garden!!!!

Comment

At least you have a garden
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

That is why I charge and discharge these batteries before I use them

I have had some that just do not have the load capacity that they claim to be

I will not use them if they get warm when charging them at 2 amp or at 1 amp

If when discharging then a 2 amp and get warm or at 1 amp I will not use them

I use caution when using Chinese made batteries because either the quality of the cells or that the quality control is very poor ( meaning that no two cells are the same )

That video was some real serious shit
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-05-2019, 04:18 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

not like that.

i was testing some used 18650's yesterday and charging them at 1Ah,
                                          one got so hot i pulled it out and threw it into the garden!!!!
                                          What brand of batteries were they
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply
                                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                          X