Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SANSUI PLASMA: Could mains surge damage Zsustain only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SANSUI PLASMA: Could mains surge damage Zsustain only?

Hi Guys,

I have a Sansui SV-EPD-42QOBP that has a damaged Z SUSTAIN board.
    Is it possible for a mains surge to damage the Z SUSTAIN board only.

As a rule I dont do plasma tv repairs, but a customer needs a damage report for their insurance broker, so I took it on.

I do a lot of damage reports on lcds, these range from cracked panels, liquid damage and power surges. In most instances the surge damage is quite evident where you can see damage in the front end of the power supply.
    (these surges appear after a power outage and the power comes back on)

I found two swollen capacitors, and the +VS pin(desoldered) dead short to ground.

I am not going to attempt a repair. (i've tried before and the heat sink & plated through holes make chip removal near impossible & the hassle of sourcing one).

Is it possible for the surge to take out the Z SUSTAIN board, yet leave the power supply intact? (you would think the power supply would be taken out first?)

I have the same scenario where LCD's have failed LED lamps, and the customers reckon it happened when they had power outage/ surge.

Once again, is this possible where the power supply is intact, yet something "down the line" is damaged.

Photos attached.

Thanks, Mike.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Grunder; 06-26-2019, 07:46 AM.

Re: SANSUI PLASMA: Could mains surge damage Zsustain only?

Anybody?

Comment

Having looked further I see more ruptured caps on the audio/ input board. So im going with a mains surge.

Comment

A `mains surge' would have damaged the power supply, and likely only the primary. If there are ruptured caps elswhere, that is just due to use and the age of the tv.

Comment

Thanks RJ, maybe i used the term power surge too loosely.

I am going to have to find out what conditions could arise on a mains line in the event of an interruption of the power.

Thanks for the response.

Thought for the day: The Sciences aren't an explanation of how the universe works, but merely Mans interpretation thereof.

Comment

Working...
          X