Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Hi,
    Thought I'd try out a 64 bit motherboard
    It's very tidy with no scratched traces

I recapped this motherboard's input and output VRM caps (previously had bloated output caps) with new HM's.
    And after a few days of it running nicely, just when i had nearly finished with sorting out a dual boot, it packed a sad.
    What happens now is this:
    When the wall socket switch is turned on, the computer starts immediately.
    Then it makes a long high pitched beep followed by (a few seconds later) a long low pitched beep then nothing more (not repeating).
    Using the computer power button, the machine can be powered down (and also restarted after pushing it again).

I have removed the board from the case, disconnected all periphial devices and IDE cables - same result as above
    Tried another CPU - same result as above

No video display from either the onboard video or the AGP video card (when inserted)

Tried another PSU - no difference

Tried different RAM/slots - same result
    Removed all RAM - get correct repeating beep code for missing RAM

Seems that the Award BIOS is at least partly OK

Any idea what to look for next?
    Last edited by socketa; 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM.

Re: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Sometimes Nichicon HM is not quite low enough ESR replacements. Try resoldering/ reheating the caps just incase of a cold or incomplete joint exists somewhere. It is easy to see the solder on the bottom of the board but not on the top being covered up by the caps bung.

Comment

Hm should work fine for a motherboard, check that they are all soldered properly including polar direction and the actual solder joints.
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
        Hm should work fine for a motherboard, check that they are all soldered properly including polar direction and the actual solder joints.
        Some of Gigabytes motherboards require much lower ESR values than HM series. Especially the VRM outputs. Also we do not know exactly what he replaced the original caps with. Real or fakes? Also some socket 754 boards a finicky about the DDR choices. A lot yet to be confirmed.

Comment

I think we need pictures?

Correct type of ram DDR less the 2gb 2.5V ?

Reset the cmos?

Plugged in the 12v 4pin lead
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
            Some of Gigabytes motherboards require much lower ESR values than HM series. Especially the VRM outputs. Also we do not know exactly what he replaced the original caps with. Real or fakes? Also some socket 754 boards a finicky about the DDR choices. A lot yet to be confirmed.
            Disagreed. Almost all Gigabyte boards with lytics originally came from the factory with either Nichicon HM or an equivalent (NCC KZG, Sanyo WG, Ruby MBZ). I've never seen any gigabyte board with lower ESR caps than that.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks,
              The original caps were HM's - 3 X 1500uf input, and 3 X 3300uf output, so they are exactly the same.
              Thought that i did a tidy job of the soldering - no dry joints/solder splashes

Yes,
              Correct polarity
              Reset cmos
              Replaced battery
              4-pin 12v connector plugged in
              Correct RAM
              It was running OK for a couple of days

Just rechecked continuity on the end of the cap leads (where they were snipped)
              The ouput caps all test to be connected in parallel as they should be, and likewise for the input caps.
              So, therefore the solder joints are all good

Also, both fans are spinning (cpu and sys)

Any more thoughts?
              Last edited by socketa; 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                Disagreed. Almost all Gigabyte boards with lytics originally came from the factory with either Nichicon HM or an equivalent (NCC KZG, Sanyo WG, Ruby MBZ). I've never seen any gigabyte board with lower ESR caps than that.
                You can disagree with me all you want. It still does not change the fact that I have seen a few with my own eyes original factory equipped motherboards from Gigabyte with lower esr ratings than Nichicon HM series.

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
                  Thanks,
                  The original caps were HM's - 3 X 1500uf input, and 3 X 3300uf output, so they are exactly the same.

Yes,
                  Correct polarity
                  Reset cmos
                  Replaced battery
                  Correct RAM

The ouput caps all test to be connected in parallel as they should be, and likewise for the input caps.

Any more thoughts?
                  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...beep-codes.htm

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

You could have something wrong with either the CPU, the socket, the fan not reaching a high enough RPM, the fans RPM sense wire not outputting a reading or a bios setting related to overheating thus shutting down the motherboard.

Comment

Thanks,

Yes,
                    Correct polarity
                    Reset cmos
                    Replaced battery
                    Correct RAM

Any more thoughts?
                    Also I have seen and expirenced SOME Gigabyte boards that develop warpage causing the ram modules to not completely seat into the slots even though they will lock in place. This is due to the placement of the memory slots in relation to the cpu socket heatsink retention mechanics.

Comment

yes, had previously spent quite some time searching pages of award beep codes.
                      And note that the high/low tone is documented as repeating, whereas mine does not repeat (waited for 5 minites)
                      (note that both of those links use the word "repeating").
                      The CPU is not the problem because i tried another one, and still the same result
                      Last time the computer was running the bios was reporting the fan speed with no warnings

What i am slightly suspicious of, is that when i first got the board, after recapping it, it was not working, so i removed the heatsink and forgot to twist it off, hence pulling out the CPU without lifting the CPU lever.
                      Anyway, after that i stuck it back in, reapplied thermal paste and it worked with no problem.
                      Then a couple of days later it's playing up.

I've reinserted the CPU's several times, and still no joy.
                      Also neither CPU just falls nicely into the socket, a slight push on one corner is required to pop either of them in.

Seems that the bios is seeing the RAM, because when i remove both sticks i get a No-RAM beep code
                      Last edited by socketa; 01-23-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

And note that the high/low tone is documented as repeating, whereas mine does not repeat (waited for 5 minites)
                        The CPU is not the problem because i tried another one, and still the same result
                        Last time the computer was running the bios was reporting the fan speed with no warnings

What i am slightly suspicious of, is that when i first got the board, after recapping it, it was not working, so i removed the heatsink and forgot to twist it off, hence pulling out the CPU without lifting the CPU lever.
                        Anyway, after that i stuck it back in, reapplied thermal paste and it worked with no problem.

Also neither CPU just falls nicely into the socket, a slight push on one corner is required to pop either of them in.

Seems that the bios is seeing the RAM, because when i remove both sticks i get a No-RAM beep code
                        You could have damaged the cpu socket when pulling the cpu out while the locking mechanism was in place. I have done that myself but I got lucky and did not damage either.

Comment

Thought that i got lucky also

So what now?

It looks like the Bios is seeing the CPU, because when i remove the CPU and switch on the PSU, and the mobo automatically turns itself on (i can't remember it doing that before when it was working - shouldn't the computer power switch determine if the compuer turns on or not?), i get no beep codes.
                          Last edited by socketa; 01-23-2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

So what now?

It looks like the Bios is seeing the CPU, because when i remove the CPU and switch on the PSU, and the mobo automatically turns itself on (i can't remember it doing that before when it was working - shouldn't the computer power switch determine if the compuer turns on or not?), i get no beep codes.
                            That is normal reaction. With no cpu detected the post sequence is early in count and will not advance to the alert loop.

Comment

The cpu should not need any force to align with the socket, it should drop in. Check for bent or misaligned pins on cpu.

Comment

Some advice on using TIM. Apply a small amount of thermal grease in the center of the cpu's IHS. Then insert the heatsink straight down on top of the grease to evenly spread it outwards. DO NOT TWIST the heatsink when doing this.

Comment

If the heatsink does not want to lift off easily do not twist it. Carefully put a screwdriver edge between the bottom of the heatsink and the outer hard plastic retention base that surrounds the socket and then gently pry the heatsink up. You may need to do this at two opposite corners.

Comment

Thanks again,

Will remember that trick for next time.

Yes, there was some slightly bent pins in the original CPU (i bent them when lifting the CPU up from one side because it was stuck a bit in one corner of the socket) and i straightened them up.
                                    On the replacement CPU there is no bent pins.

I've tried both, with same result.
                                    I don't think that the CPU is the problem
                                    Both CPU's go down all the way, after a gentle nudge in the corner.

Comment

Thanks again,

Will remember that trick for next time.

Yes, there was some slightly bent pins in the original CPU (i bent them when lifting the CPU up from one side because it was stuck a bit in one corner of the socket) and i straightened them up.
                                      On the replacement CPU there is no bent pins.

I've tried both, with same result.
                                      I don't think that the CPU is the problem
                                      Both CPU's go down all the way, after a gentle nudge in the corner.
                                      Okay, a slite detour. Where did you get the caps to replace the bad ones from?

Comment

One of the major reputable suppliers like digikey, forgotten which one exactly - not ebay
                                        They are not fakes
                                        Date code H1316
                                        Had them in storage for a few months

The mobo was working without a problem for a couple of days after they were used to replace the bad caps
                                        Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X