GA-8IHXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-8IHXP

Well the kingston ram I have is up to speed just tested on another MB that supports pc1066... I think It is the gigabyte MB... If/when I get the gigabyte MB DOA again, I will buy an intel 850e board and see what happens from there... (excuse the lang) I will also piss on the Gigabyte MB and record it... (if it is DOA... and I can't fix it..)
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-21-2005, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I post about this 8IHXP board again, as it has popped another cap. (GSC 1000uf 6.3v, the one I was worried about previously, near the really hot mosfet)
      I hear you say "why has he not recapped this board completely yet?" - yes, I know, but I had urgent work to complete on it, which is now done. I was opening the case for preliminaries of the recap and saw a bulging GSC.

No current pix yet, but here are some pix of when I recapped nearly the whole board previous to putting back all original caps for the RMA (including the now bulged GSC)
      Current pix of new bulger and full (yes, FULL) recap will be up when the board is out.
      Attached Files

Comment

Board operational.
        It's not a full recap, but the only originals that are left (above 470uF) is the Sanyo's.
        Some voltages seem a tad more stable as well (slightly less variance)

Here is the bad GSC bulging top and bottom.....

...with an overall of the board, including the OST that Synnex (Gigabyte) replaced.

Ruby's and FC's mounted....

Different angle where you can see the little yellow heat shrunk extensions on 2 of the new caps....it was a bit tight.....

Please let that be the end of it for this board.

BTW, I let Gigabyte know about this new GSC that popped and they have again offered to RMA the board (again through Synnex), although as you can see, I will not be requiring that service I hope.

2nd BTW, the board is beginning to show stresses of soldering now (after 4-8 replacements each)
        Attached Files

Comment

great pics, good job!

dont worry about the sanyos, from my measurements they are far superior to panasonic fc. whats up with the northbridge heatsink? i guess you reattached it because you will definitely need it.

did you find the solder difficult to melt on that board?
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
            great pics, good job!
            Thanks!

Whats up with the northbridge heatsink? i guess you reattached it because you will definitely need it.
            Changed the stock one with fan for a Zalman passive job. (you can see it in the first of four pix, the blue thing in the background)

did you find the solder difficult to melt on that board?
            The first time, absolutely. Plenty of heat in the iron was needed.
            I found adding a little solder first (as per badcaps suggestions) made it much easier soaking it up with the wick.

I'm working on the machine now....ticking along very nicely.
            Last edited by cods69; 01-17-2006, 04:41 AM.

Comment

This post is just a retrospective update linking a thread regarding previously discussed problems with the Kingston RDRAM.
              Read only if you are interested in the early 1066 850E Rambus issues, or in the business ethics of "Computer World", in Australia.
              http://forums.tweakers.com.au/showth...?threadid=2611

BTW, the 8IHXP has survived some seriously hot weather here in Melbourne since the recap and it is more rock solid (stable) than ever.

Comment

Hello. I have same board GA-8IHXP. Since last month. I have stripes show up on monitor when it boots and crash as soon as window loading screens ends. I thought it is software. Then I think it is hardware problem, since I see stripe even in POST page (first page when yuo start your computer). Stripe show up in some color not the whole screen. So I thought graphic card is bad. But when I open case to check, I see that small fan that is installed on a heat sink on a chipset next to CPU is not working and same capacitor that you guys show in earlier thread is slightly popped. There is little rusting too. I think my graphic card is ok. But I do not know if cap popped since fan fail or fan failed because cap popped.

So my question is should I contact Gigabyte for repair or should I just go to radio shack and buy cap to repair? Do you guys have success in replacing caps? What brand of cap should I buy? I am not sure motherboard can withstand soldering iron heat. I think warranty on my motherboard is expired. If there is any new motherboard (other brand may be) that uses same memory, CPU etc, I will just buy. Please let me know if you guys know one.

I know only radio shack (in US) who sell caps. Do you guys know any other place that sell quality caps?

Comment

"Where can I buy replacement capacitors"
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613

"The Bad Capacitor FAQ"
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

The caps you buy must be Low or preferrably Ultra LOW ESR otherwise they will not work, they should also be rated at 105°C and of course if space is a problem have the same dimensions otherwise it is fine to replace with caps that have higher voltage and in some cases higher farad rating. But never lower unless you really know what you are doing...

Other than that you should keep in mind to swap out all capacitors of the same brand, yes, the capacitors by the Northbridge probably failed earlier than the other capacitors because the fan stopped so they got warmer, but it's only a matter of time before the other capacitors fail...

There are plenty of Socket 478 mainboards out there, if you want a new one just take a look in the stores around the net, many are on sale now since S478 is being phased out by S775, so you are bound to find one at a really good price if you look hard, no guarantee on that another board will come with quality capacitors though...
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I just check my old board (the one that failed 3 years ago, 2 days after computer bought). But I noticed they had different cap brands. Even for same motherboard version 2.1. Old one that failed is GSC and second both I have is G-luxon. Same cap was popped on that one as well. It seems Gigabyte knows the problem but replace cheap cap with another cheap cap that lasts until the end of warranty.

I think I will try replacing first. If it does not work, I will buy new board. Can you suggest any motherboard that uses quality cap.

Comment

"Who makes MOBOs with the best caps ?"
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1538
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by shwekhaw
                        Hello. I have same board GA-8IHXP. Since last month. I have stripes show up on monitor when it boots and crash as soon as window loading screens ends.
                        Yep - sounds similar to what I had.
                        But when I open case to check, I see that small fan that is installed on a heat sink on a chipset next to CPU is not working and same capacitor that you guys show in earlier thread is slightly popped.
                        The northbridge does not run too hot on the 8IHXP so the fan stopping should not have made a great difference, seeing that particular failing cap gets most heat from the CPU HS exhaust.
                        I think my graphic card is ok.
                        Have a known GOOD gfx card at hand to test/diagnose.
                        So my question is should I contact Gigabyte for repair or should I just go to radio shack and buy cap to repair?
                        If GB offer to RMA the board take the offer IF you are prepared to wait. *Carefully read my previous posts for detail.*
                        Otherwise, do it yourself - it's not so hard.
                        I am not sure motherboard can withstand soldering iron heat.
                        It can if you use a 40W iron
                        I think warranty on my motherboard is expired.
                        It has by now, but so had mine. GB still offered (and performed) the RMA.
                        I know only radio shack (in US) who sell caps. Do you guys know any other place that sell quality caps?
                        Already answered above.

Comment

Thanks. Just placed order for Capacitor kit. Hopefullly I will get soon.

Comment

I've got a problem with my own GA-8IHXP rev2.1 board. When I try power it up, I heard a short electrical sound (1 sec max.) comming from the power supply which sounds very much like a short circuit. The same problem happens with a brand new power supply as well.

I currently have take my board out of the case so it's lying here on my desk with nothing on it except for the CPU (+fan) and the memory. Even in this situation I get the same result : short electrical sound comming from the power supply which I suspect is the short circuit protection that kicks in.

Once I took out the board I noticed that there are some badcaps on it, as you can see from these pictures:

I've read a lot of info on this site and the forum but I never saw anyone facing the same problem as I did so my question is: could these bad caps result in a short circuit on the mother board?

Comment

Ravefiend: Very possibly. Caps can short-circuit as a mode of failure.
                              The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

O_O WOW - that has quite a few more badcaps than mine had at any one point. At least the Sanyo's survived!
                                I'd be replacing all the caps I replaced in the previous posts in this thread.
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=43
                                Originally posted by Ravefiend
                                so my question is: could these bad caps result in a short circuit on the mother board?
                                Short circuit is probably not the correct term for what may be happening.
                                I'd say it's just a trigger circuit in the PSU being cautious about a suspect load, more than likely caused by those 3 bad OST's.

EDIT: I stand corrected - thanks Chris1992
                                Last edited by cods69; 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM.

Comment

... all the bumped caps have been replaced but I'm still getting the same sound comming from my power supply. I don't know what else could be wrong here ... the CPU perhaps ?

Comment

A mosfet is probably shorted.
                                    Shorted cap will probably blow and the PSU will not notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                                      Shorted cap will probably blow and the PSU will not notice.
                                      Yeah you're probably right but I find it so hard to accept it without seeing any physical damage on my motherboard .. do you think their's any possibility to figure out what's truly wrong with it ?

Comment

who said it would be visible?
                                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Use a diode/beep test of a multimeter to check if 12V, 5V and 3.3V is not shorted on the board (disconnect the PSU and check on the ATX connector - the interesting pins are in the corners). If something is shorted, then test the mosfets (instructions are somewhere around, use search). Mosfet can be visually OK but still shorted.

Comment

Working...
                                          X