Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

It is starting to look like the cpu socket to cpu pins contact issue going on. As I said before, the cpu should just drop in to open socket. NO FORCE OF ANY KIND should be needed for the cpu to seat. May need to do some socket repair.

Comment

Something else to try: Try inserting a metal pin into the cpu socket pin holes in the corner that gives resistance. Open socket latch, insert pin into hole, close latch, then pull slightly on pin to check for tightness. Do this one pin at a time. Be sure to use a pin the same diameter as the cpu pins.
      Last edited by Sparkey55; 01-24-2015, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Now that's a logically good idea!

Will try it tomorrow morning, and post back with results.

Thanks again
        Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
          Now that's a good idea!

Will try it tomorrow morning, and post back with results.

Thanks again
          Good idea. I am going to bed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
            Something else to try: Try inserting a metal pin into the cpu socket pin holes in the corner that gives resistance. Open socket latch, insert pin into hole, close latch, then pull slightly on pin to check for tightness. Do this one pin at a time. Be sure to use a pin the same diameter as the cpu pins.
            That is a great tip - I love it Thanks
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

found this on eBay. Never used one myself so do not know if they work but cheap.
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Desktop-CPU-...#ht_2829wt_842

Comment

In the famous words of Elvis - thankyou very much
                Might have to open an ebay account

Ok

Started with a pin that was too wide,
                so narrowed it down with a ginder
                After a few proddings thought a bit of stripped telephone house wire might be the right size, since the grinder didn't produde a uniform rezized pin
                the phone wire worked well
                Perhaps fishing line might be a better option

On some holes the grip was questionable, and on a few of others it would not go down without some force
                So then i got the lamp and a magnifying glass and compared to the rest of the paired contacts in the socket holes while moving the lever. Quite a few look out of alignment, On one i can't see any metal although the wire doesn't want to go down that hole, and a couple of contacts were right next to each other, rather than the v-shape (i, may have caused that when i forced the socket in).
                After seperating them with the pin, the CPU still doesn't want to fall in to the socket.

I can also recall that when i removed the original CPU, i saw a tiny piece of copper on the board near the CPU socket, but ignored it, especially since afther reinserting it, the compter booted OK.
                But am now thinking that it might have being one side of one of the socket contacts

Looks like i'm going to have to remove the socket housing and straighten the contacts up, back to their v-shapes, and see what damage has being done.

There is a black plastic pad on the reverse side of the board held in with two white plastic fastners on either side

Here's thumbnails of both sides of the fastner - how do i remove that, and then remove the CPU socket cover?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

In the famous words of Elvis - thankyou very much
                  Might have to open an ebay account

Ok

Started with a pin that was too wide,
                  so narrowed it down with a ginder
                  After a few proddings thought a bit of stripped telephone house wire might be the right size, since the grinder didn't produde a uniform rezized pin
                  the phone wire worked well
                  Perhaps fishing line might be a better option

On some holes the grip was questionable, and on a few of others it would not go down without some force
                  So then i got the lamp and a magnifying glass and compared to the rest of the paired contacts in the socket holes while moving the lever. Quite a few look out of alignment, On one i can't see any metal although the wire doesn't want to go down that hole, and a couple of contacts were right next to each other, rather than the v-shape (i, may have caused that when i forced the socket in).
                  After seperating them with the pin, the CPU still doesn't want to fall in to the socket.

I can also recall that when i removed the original CPU, i saw a tiny piece of copper on the board near the CPU socket, but ignored it, especially since afther reinserting it, the compter booted OK.
                  But am now thinking that it might have being one side of one of the socket contacts

Looks like i'm going to have to remove the socket housing and straighten the contacts up, back to their v-shapes, and see what damage has being done.

There is a black plastic pad on the reverse side of the board held in with two white plastic fastners on either side

Here's thumbnails of both sides of the fastner - how do i remove that, and then remove the CPU socket cover?
                  It looks like on the top of the fastner is a round plastic stake pin that pulls up then use needle nose pliers to squeeze the bottom spreaded tabs together and that should let you pull the retainer off.

Comment

Well that was easy, but didn't achieve much, because i thought that there might be some fastners, under the black plastic pad, that could be removed to get the CPU socket off.

How to i remove the white sliding socket pin-guide to access the CPU pin contacts?
                    Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Well that was easy, but didn't achieve much because i thought that there might be some fastners, under the black plastic pad, that i could remove to get the CPU socket off.

How to i remove the sliding socket to access the CPU pin contacts?
                      It should snap off if done carefully. Although we are now treading in uncharted waters. i have not done this type of disassembly before. Good luck and god speed.

Comment

I just practiced on an a dead socket A board

On both sides there was a gap between the board and the top sliding cover,
                        so used a screwdriver to pry it up, but it still cracked and i managed to snap off two tab hooks at the back of it.

Now that it's off i see that i should have used the slots on the top to lever the sides outwards and unhook them

Now on this 754 socket, i tried to lever the sides outwards with a small screwdriver in either of the 3 side slots, but it's not moving easily
                        looks like i might need to make a 3-prongged 'screwdriver' to lever off the side in one movement?

Anyone done this before?

Attached Files
                        Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Well got the top off, and only broke the back clip
                          Prying it off in each of those slots with one side of tweezers and using a toothpick to hold open the gap while moving on to the next slot.

I think there is a reasonable chance that this is why the mobo is not happy

One of the cubicles near the front only has one contact and quite a few in the problem corner look reasonably disorganized.

Now how to fix it?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by socketa; 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Ok
                            Tidied them up with a pin and magnifying glass,
                            and they look a lot better now, except for about 4 that look like they only have one contact instead of two.
                            Will get a microscope later in the week for a closer inspection

Comment

Well got the top off, and only broke the back clip
                              Prying it off in each of those slots with one side of tweezers and using a toothpick to hold open the gap while moving on to the next slot.

I think there is a reasonable chance that this is why the mobo is not happy

One of the cubicles near the front only has one contact and quite a few in the problem corner look reasonably disorganized.

Now how to fix it?
                              Is the lower right corner that is shown in the photo the corner that you said you had to push down for the cpu to seat all the way?

Comment

Yep.

Am also suspicious that there was some damage present before i brought the board, because as soon as i saw it had bloated caps, i thought it was better not to turn it on with them in.
                                Then after replacing them, it didn't boot, took of the heatsink (with CPU attached) and stuck it back together with new paste, and it booted - which may have repositioned the CPU just enough to make a pin contact.
                                Last edited by socketa; 01-25-2015, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Yep.

Am also suspicious that there was some damage present before i brought the board, because as soon as i saw it had bloated caps, i thought it was better not to turn it on with them in.
                                  Then after replacing them, it didn't boot, took of the heatsink (with CPU attached) and stuck it back together with new paste, and it booted - which may have repositioned the CPU just enough to make a pin contact.
                                  It is like playing Russian roulette. I need to know if a mobo works befor a recap. If it dies, oh well.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sparkey55;523692]Some of Gigabytes motherboards require much lower ESR values than HM series. Especially the VRM outputs. Also we do not know exactly what he replaced the original caps with. Real or fakes? Also some socket 754 boards a finicky about the DDR choices. A lot yet to be confirmed.[/QUOTE
                                    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM.
                                    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

As previously stated, the original caps were HM, and that is what they were replaced with. I don't think the board would now need HZ.
                                      And retried tried several RAM sticks (both of which were working fine on the board)
                                      Anyway, after straightening up the socket contacts as best as i could, still get the same response.
                                      So i now regard the boad as scrap
                                      Next time i will start with checking that the board is working.
                                      That appears to be the moral of this story.

Thanks for the interest.
                                      Last edited by socketa; 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Do you still have the board?
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Depending on what kit you have a new socket isn't much. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...854569169.html

Comment

Working...
                                          X