BIOSTAR NF6IS Micro 754

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOSTAR NF6IS Micro 754

The mobo got 4bulging capacitors, BIOS battery discharged to 0V and a burned stick of RAM.
    I thought that I could go to repair after enough indications from @momaka in particular.
    I used my little arsenal of equipment and, after about 3 hours of work accumulated, I managed to remove three of capacitors. Out of frustration, I pulled off with such anger that capacitors was out but negative pins all remaining soldered.
    Last edited by alindumitru46; 02-20-2016, 02:52 AM.

Re: BIOSTAR NF6IS Micro 754

Another week end was reserved for pins extraction, 3 succesfully. I replaced the 3 capacitors and the fourth was solderd just to checking the mobo. Because the mobo started, I said to go over and fix annoyance and last capacitor.
    The mobo works perfect, but so much pain,too much labour, too much trials.

Comment

Good Job!! lessen learned, try to stay cool under pressure to cut down work time

Comment

Before and after.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alindumitru46 View Post
          The mobo works perfect, but so much pain,too much labour, too much trials.
          Boss, if everything was easy, life would be boring and we'd learn nothing .
          I struggled quite a bit too when I first started working on motherboards. So don't worry, you will get better as you do it more .

That said, if you have a heat gun, you can use it to make the desoldering process a bit easier. Simply "pre-heat" the area of the board that you will be working on. Then, grab your iron and quickly work on the area that you just pre-heated. This is what I used to do for motherboards all the time back when I only had a 30 Watt iron. Took me several hours to replace the CPU caps on a Dell OptiPlex GX270 motherboard - talk about struggle.

Speaking of which, you probably will have to recap this motherboard again in the future. The Ltec caps you used likely won't last more than 2-3 years - and that's if you keep them cool.

But hey, Ltec or not... a working motherboard is better than a dead motherboard!

Comment

I got capacitors from the owner, although I advised him to buy quality capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Speaking of which, you probably will have to recap this motherboard again in the future. The Ltec caps you used likely won't last more than 2-3 years - and that's if you keep them cool.
              Those aren't Ltec, those are Lelon RGA series (at least those are the green ones that I've seen), which as far as I'm concerned halves their life to 1-2 years of light and "cool" load. Lelon is an even worse brand and those are general purpose capacitors. You are correct in saying that LTEC's equivalent (LMB series) won't last long at all, but almost anything will do better than those 3300uF 6.3V KZGs... except certain KZJs maybe, and Sacon FZ and SZ. But what's that saying exactly?
              Last edited by Wester547; 02-21-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                Those aren't Ltec, those are Lelon RGA series
                Indeed. I guess my brain had a fart (or something along that line).

You are correct in saying that LTEC's equivalent (LMB series) won't last long at all, but almost anything will do better than those 3300uF 6.3V KZGs...
                Which is rather sad.

... except certain KZJs maybe, and Sacon FZ and SZ. But what's that saying exactly?
                It's saying, you forgot to mention Rulycon
                I'll still pick Rulycon over Sacon, though!
                Last edited by momaka; 02-22-2016, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Those aren't Ltec, those are Lelon RGA series
                  If those are really Lelon RGA, than it seems they are not the right choice for CPU VRM filtering caps as they are general purpose caps oO

The specs of those caps say that they can endure 840mA of ripplecurrent...

The KZGs are specced for 2800mA with 12Ohms of ESR...

And lelon themselves say:
                  If there is any requirement on ESR, it's suggested to use low
                  ESR series instead of RGA. Please consult us for any inquiry.

Comment

Working...
                  X