low or super low ESR + impedance caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low or super low ESR + impedance caps

Anyone know, where to buy them? Europe preffered, as I'm from it...

The story go like this. Im fanless maniac. I also like to OC a little Recently I have some stability problemy on clocks, where things worked well before. And I just realized what my problems was - the caps blown with loud explosion on my mobo, so now Im in process looking for 1500uF 16V low ESR caps.

I also found out, that the caps are made by Chemi-con and their type KZG aren't even optimal for mobos! KZG versions are low ESR/impedance ones, correct ( - compare to - ) yet they did not handle well impulse currents. Okay, they even claim "Super low ESR/impedance", but the sheet did not show any values.

Now check this out - they also made considerably more pricely LXY/LXZ versions of caps, specificaly engineered for long-live with impulse currents AND low ESR as well, as the KZG ones has!
    Sure, they cost 250% of the KZG line, so DFI use the cost-optimized version and the results are that after 1,5 years they explode...
    Not to mean the time degradation - now is pretty clear for me, why 2700Mhz was not a problem at start, yet recently it was complete lock-up. 2600Mhz was stable last winter, yet not this winter and the list could go so on and so far - no wonder, there are 6 (!) 100uF caps missing only in the PCI section a rather large cap close to the 12V support is missing too (that's wher the two ones that died was) and the 4 caps close to the main PSU connection are nowhere near to be found as well - not to mention what is missing into the CPU socket and close to the ram voltage regulators...
    So much for DFI.

So, anyone know, where to get quality stuff?
    Last edited by trodas; 01-28-2006, 06:34 AM.
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: low or super low ESR + impedance caps

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

The interesting thing is that KZG is rated 2000hours at 105oC for the full range (case diameter 8-10mm) whilst LXZ is rated 2000-8000hours at 105oC but it depends on case size. At 8mm it is 3000hours and 10mm 5000hours. The 8000hours is only for 16mm case diameter.

But the lifetime ratings mean that not only the capacitor is raised to a temperature of 105oC but it is subjected to voltage with the rated ripple current for those number of hours.

so when you have

KZG 1500uf 16v - ripple current 2550 (2000 hours)
      LXZ 1500uf 16v - ripple current 1690 (5000 hours)

it doesnt look as bad as before because the KZG are rated for higher ripple current (which we want) and have lower impedance 0.013 as opposed to 0.037 for the LXZ (which we want also).

It must be emphasised that the ratings are for 105oC which you should not see on a motherboard. If you run the cap at lower temperature the lifetime increases.

It would be great to see pics of your busted KZG caps, i dont remember seeing that before. what psu are you using anyway. You note that you like fanless AND overclocking. Did you ever record the ambient case temps? it would be interesting to know that.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

"Loud explosion"? Are you sure your P/S didn't fail and apply 18V or higher? I've tested a lot of lytics past the point of venting, and the only times I can remember audible sounds was with significant over-voltage.

LXV, LXY, and LXZ use a somewhat different electrolyte technology than do KY and KZ(#) series caps. The latter are lower impedance and less expensive; if you want longer life, KY and, IIRC, KZH are 10K hours in larger cans size. KY and KZ(#) series caps don't do as well as LX(#) series caps at -40C and colder. With no voltage or load applied, KZE parts will swell and vent at 140C-150C; LXV do so at ~10C higher.

Heat kills components! For every 10C higher, the life of a component is cut in half. With semiconductors, going above 150C or 175C junction temperature (Not ambient temperature! Junction temp is higher than ambient.), depending on rating, is destructive. I'd rather put up with a computer that sounds like a helicopter than fry a computer. OK, I exaggerated a a little about the helicopter part.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

My guess is that the secondary caps in the PSU are failing - check that first.

Comment

Topcat - goog point, I start looking there as well

willawake - now there are some pretty valid points, sir The higher ripple current of the KZG line somewhat suggest that they could do better job in mainboards, while the suggestion (and price) on the merchant (Czech, so link would be useless, if you did not want go into translating) suggested othervise...
            I could get there now the EXR Hitano caps. 2200uF for16V, yet the specs aren't as optimistic as with the KZG series:
            relatively high impedance - 0.039 ...and somewhat low rupple current - 1660
            It is for 100kHz, so I hope this ïs the standard frequency and the other ratings are for this one as well, found there: http://www.commerce.com.tw/hitano/e/next-01c.htm
            Now since they are a bit bigger, therefore the lines to them has to be a bit longer to fit there - should I try them?

As for PSU, I use 480W Antec NEO PSU and I would bet it working pretty well all the relatively short time The 480W might sound a little low, tought the suxxka have 2 separeted 12V lines and can deliver 18 and 16A to them, witch is in combined 34A - with is IMHO pretty good :
            http://silentpcreview.com/article177-page1.html

I do not believe the PSU is the problem. I opened it up and no bumped cap or any sign of failing. I used it on other mobo and it worked fine. PSU is okay, quality stuff. )

Case temps was around 35 to 42 - not bad IMHO for fanless operation. But recently I moved the senser from measuring the PCB/air temp near the SouthBridge to bellow the chipset heatsink to measure properly the chipset temp :

Photos? Okay, I try my best with macro and took them.

PeteS in CA - Im sure it don't. I measured then the PSU on testing load device (not much of a load, but just testing) and all voltages are fine. -40 degrees aren't exactly my case of operation temperature : Let's say 40 to 80C is more realistic - being close to the coils and mosfets...
            But it looks like you recommending KY or KZ type as well... Damn, but these are failed on me already...
            Yes, heat is a problem. I drill additional holes to the back of my case and add a small heatsink on the back of the mobo, right bellow the CPU mosfets. It should help a lot... I hope. I don't believe, tought, that over 150 degrees are a big problem for certain semiconductors. Pentium 4 begin inserting empty cycles at about 152 or 154 degrees and keep in mind that there are well above 10C higher temps in other parts of the CPU, that where the thermal point of measure is... And still, this is into the safe limits : Another guy ran ViA C3 CPU not only fanless, but also heatsink-less and get over 170 or even 180? degrees C. Yet the CPU worked still well. Mine in my fanless server is running at about 65-75C all the time and affter almost two years still rock-stable :
            And if you want live with helicopter, your pick. I want so quiet machine, that I can't hear it. If this means exchanging caps each year - well - so be it.

linuxguru - sorry, no sign of failure into PSU

So, let's focus on what would be the best caps to put there, shall we?
            "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
            "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

based on what he says, maybe there are 125C ultra low ESR caps?
              The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

I've seen 75 degC on MOSFETs on a Tualatin board - laying on desk and with properly cooled CPU. So running a P4 system without proper cooling can easily produce 100 degC - and that will destroy ANY caps.

Comment

Rainbow, remember that if the case temp of the device is 75C or 100C, the junction temperature (temp on the MOSFET or chip die) will be much higher.

trodas, the lowest impedance types I'm aware of are: UCC's KZJ and KZV; Nichicon's HZ; Rubycon's MCZ (if I recall correctly). However, if what is destroying the caps is external heat, the internally generated heated, due to the impedance, may not be the most important factor. 125C parts: Nichicon BT; UCC GPA and GXE.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Guys, I'm aware of the heat problem. I trying make the cooling a little bit better, however just bellow there is a 6800GT card, so... Another thing is, that I tried to quiet the coil (just right close to the caps) with silicone and Im affraid that the only thing I gained is, that the coil transfer the heat to the mobo better - tought the silicone
                    Another thing is, that the caps are probably hardly managing to hold up to their job, so they overheat and then exploded...
                    I cannot completely remove the damn silicone, but if anyone know anyone with dead DFI LP B or Ultra Infinity nForce2 mobo, then maybe I could get the coils from it - that would fix it. If not, then - how to prolonge the life of them? Certainly use the best ones that could be found. Maybe a little higher capapity (2200uF?) won't hurt at well, they tend to have a little bit better spec as well, as they are physicaly bigger = better heat dissipiation.
                    Another thing is to add the missing cap there and fill all the 6 missing ones on the PCI slots. Another idea is to bridge all the there main ones with tantal 100uF ones from the back of the mobo. Would it help? Could it help? I believe it could, but maybe someone have experience and can tell me for sure. Theoreticaly it should work better - read, longer.

For the 125C question - yes, a crappy nForce2 board from Jetway that is sitting less that feet from me running plan in my desk have 125C caps there. They are quite wide, tough.

I already checked couple of online shops, one (supposedly for England) got relatively good range od the Chemi-con caps,. tough no KZG, only LXZ ones - but what was my surprise, when on shiping options it says that the caps come directly from US of A and then it says that "I cannot expoert the caps to my country." Now what the fick...

So I tried a trick that worked few times for me before - as shiping I say country is Germany and County is Czech republic. Americans let it go, they have no clue that it is wrong, and German post is extremly great - they pass it to Czech post and it get delivered, elieve it or not. It took a extra weekend, tough...
                    Yet I got the same stupid message: "You cannot expoert the caps to this country."

Looks like that if I want to buy Stinger shoulder-fired AntiAircraft missile, it might be easier...

Anyway, In Czech I manage to fins a shop, that have Hitano caps. The spec's aren't great, tough it might not get much better...

Chemi-con KZG 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.013 - ripple current 2550 (2000 hours)
                    Chemi-con LXZ 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.037 - ripple current 1690 (5000 hours)
                    Hitano EXR 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.039 - ripple current 1660 (1000 hours)

Since I had a problems with sound last time, it is obvious that the cap's did not make it well on the PCI slots and Audigy2zs. Therefore Im affraid that I should use the caps that also have at least a little bit bigger the ripple current that the 1500uF Chemi-con KZG ones, aren't you agree, guys?
                    Now, what caps could give sich currents, withstand 105C, have super low ESR and very low impodance + very long lifetime?

And mainly - WHERE I could buy them???

Chris1992 - yes, 125C ones are sitting right next to me on testing2 mobo-machine

Rainbow - true. I got similar problem on Epox 8RDA+ before. They bumped, leaked and then the mobo died. The mosfets died too as consequence. I had to disable the maximum current protection for reasonable overclock, witch might play a part too...

PeteS in CA - well, I drilled a hole trought the back plane, the mobo is screwed to, and planing add a little heatsink using two sided thermal tape on the mainboard, just bellow the CPU mosfets. I believe it could help a lot, since mosfets dissipiate the heat to theit metal plate, witch is soldered to the PCB and therefore adding a heatink (any thanks to the holes leting the thing ventilate) might help a bit. Tough I can't find the tape, damn. Hope it is easier to get that the caps...
                    And you put right the question - what destroy them. I think it is their own resistance/impedance rather that the heat itself. I think this way, because they just just inch down from the there 3300uF 6.3V ones for the CPU, and these aren't even bumped a little. 100% good. And since the heat travel up, then I think is is safe to assume that the heat was come from the internal workout of them.
                    Therefore not onyl super low ESR is need, but also the maximum ripple current is very important. And took into consideration maybe even bigger that 2200uF ones to replace the died 1500uF ones...

Comment

halo trodas, i was answering your problem on ocforums..

Since I had a problems with sound last time, it is obvious that the cap's did not make it well on the PCI slots and Audigy2zs. Therefore Im affraid that I should use the caps that also have at least a little bit bigger the ripple current that the 1500uF Chemi-con KZG ones, aren't you agree, guys?
                      Now, what caps could give sich currents, withstand 105C, have super low ESR and very low impodance + very long lifetime?
                      i don't see any problems if you use the MBZ (ruby) or FC(pannys). The spec could be anything but the truth is MBZ or FC is on par or better then the KZG.

I do not believe the PSU is the problem. I opened it up and no bumped cap or any sign of failing. I used it on other mobo and it worked fine. PSU is okay, quality stuff. )
                      Not yet. The look may fool you. I myself replace almost all my psus caps with rubbys or pannys.. And because you have antec doesn't mean it's has good quality caps in there. I have seen so many antec psu's blows because of bad caps.

btw i use the LXY and even for oc they are good.

Attached Files
                      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by trodas
                        Rainbow - true. I got similar problem on Epox 8RDA+ before. They bumped, leaked and then the mobo died. The mosfets died too as consequence. I had to disable the maximum current protection for reasonable overclock, witch might play a part too...
                        8RDA+ boards are known to use GSC craps.

Comment

The spec could be anything but the truth is MBZ or FC is on par or better then the KZG.
                          FM looks much better than FC on paper.

Comment

i wish i could find any.. everyone seems to be talking about FM lately in this board, it's (FM) not the same as FJ, isnt it?

8RDA+ boards are known to use GSC craps.
                            all epox board for amd k7, including my ep8k3a/+, 8rda3...

all that boards in the world should be death by now...
                            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

These Philips FA ones look pretty good (at least in paper specs?):

Super Low Impedance FA Series Min Radial 105°C Capacitors

Philips FA 5600uF 10V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 3010 (7000 hours)
                              Chemi-con KZG 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.013 - ripple current 2550 (2000 hours)
                              Chemi-con LXZ 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.037 - ripple current 1690 (5000 hours)
                              Hitano EXR 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.039 - ripple current 1660 (1000 hours)

Any better tips aren't probably exist, or anyone get something that has similary good specs as the Philips ones?

OTOH, the Chemi-con KZG aren't looking that bad, after all. They at least have, in contrary to the LXY/LXZ ones hight ripple current speed, with I feel (correct?) that is important

yanz - yep, thanks : Could you have a link to the caps specs you pulled there? (a lot"s fo them, I know, but... so I know the good ones and possible substitutes... ) So you say that the KZG specs are overrated? Hmmm. And witch ones are the best ones, in your eyes? The LXY you seems prefer show two things I did not like very much - high capacitance and low ripple current...
                              So you suggest checking the PSU for bad caps? And how? And one more thing - there are awfull lot of caps into the PSU. I must say that Im far more inclined to the bad mobo caps... Near the failing I kept sometimes hearing hi-pitch noise (my ears are so damn sensitive, I wish I get older and the sensitivity die...) - it was hard to track witch computer is doing it, I got 6 just in my room, so... Anyways, NICE PIC, thanks : But hey, this is don't work as bait to me - this is 10V one, useless for me. I need 16V one :
                              Show 16V one!
                              BTW, and what do you say about how to make the mobo work better? (eg. over 200Mhz without sound issues) I mean - could adding the missing caps, increasing these two ones capacity and using as quality caps there as possible - help?

Rainbow - I check my dead Epox 8RDA+ mobo. Near the CPU are 6 3300uF 6.3V caps with "teapo" writen on them and "SZ 105C, 12/02, A3". Dark velvet ones. Another four dark greeon ones are on he other side of the mosfets, 2200uF 10V ones. Can't read anything else on them. The board mosfets died on me, when I added normal caps in parallel to these found ones, that are bumped and leaking and the board has issues. After it dies (20min with normal caps at 200x12.5 with 1.850Vcore and baoard was gone, normal cap exploded), my friend one died as well so I used his good mosfets and his caps, but the mobo still did not kick in. Maybe it will, when the caps get exchanged???

willawake - cousl you pls post the main specs...? Thanks :

Comment

> Philips FA 5600uF 10V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 3010 (7000 hours)
                                > Chemi-con KZG 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.013 - ripple current 2550 (2000 hours)
                                > Chemi-con LXZ 1500uf 16v - impedance 0.037 - ripple current 1690 (5000 hours)
                                > Hitano EXR 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.039 - ripple current 1660 (1000 hours)

You're comparing Apples and Oranges - that Philips cap has a lower ESR and higher Ir because it has much higher capacitance and lower voltage. When ranking caps, compare similar values only. The LXY has higher endurance.

Also check out Nichicon PW and HD - low ESR, high Ir and good endurance. The HD is also available in lacquered bare-aluminium finish that looks cool, especially for those who use windowed cases/blue LEDs or for vintage audio restoration.

In PSUs, the common failures are mainly on the secondary side, on both sides of the pi-filter after the rectifiers. Check out the primary-side flyback cap on the ATX auxiliary supply also.

Comment

willawake - cousl you pls post the main specs...? Thanks :
                                  check the spec sheets here, section 3
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=425

Comment

Specifications of some caps usefull for re-capping:

Chemi-con KY 2200uf 16V - impedance 0.027 - ripple current 2230 (10000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Chemi-con KZE 2200uf 16V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 2770 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Chemi-con KZG 1800uf 16V - impedance 0.012 - ripple current 2800 (2000 hours) 10x25 - this was there and failed
                                    Chemi-con KZH 2200uf 16V - impedance 0.017 - ripple current 2480 (6000 hours) 12.5x20
                                    Chemi-con KZJ 2200uf 16V - impedance 0.009 - ripple current 3230 (2000 hours) 12.5x20
                                    Chemi-con LXZ 2200uf 16V - impedance 0.030 - ripple current 1950 (7000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    NIC Components NRSG 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 2770 (4000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    NIC Components NRSJ 1500uF 16V - impedance 0.013 - ripple current 2550 (2000 hours) 10x20
                                    NIC Components NRSK 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.012 - ripple current 2800 (4000 hours) 10x23
                                    NIC Components NRSX 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.022 - ripple current 1800 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    NIC Components NRSZ 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.037 - ripple current 1700 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Hitano EXR 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.039 - ripple current 1900 (5000 hours) 13x21
                                    Panasonic FA 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.025 - ripple current 2310 (5000 hours) 12.5x30 (discontinued)
                                    Panasonic FC 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.030 - ripple current 1945 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Panasonic FM 2200uF 26V - impedance 0.015 - ripple current 3190 (7000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Samxon GA 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.007 - ripple current 4140 (2000 hours) 10x25
                                    Samxon GC 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.009 - ripple current 3190 (2000 hours) 10x25 - 12.5x20 (2200uF can do 0.008 and 3270mA - 12.5x25)
                                    Sanyo WG 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.012 - ripple current 2800 (4000 hours) 10x23
                                    Sanyo WX 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 2770 (4000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Nichicon HD 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 2770 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Nichicon HE 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.027 - ripple current 2230 (10000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Nichicon HM 2700uF 16V - impedance 0.010 - ripple current 2900 (2000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Nichicon HN 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.009 - ripple current 3190 (2000 hours) 12.5x20 (12.5x25 can do 0.008 and 3370mA)
                                    Nichicon HV 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.016 - ripple current 2725 (6000 hours) 12.5x20
                                    Nichicon HZ 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.006.5 - ripple current 4140 (2000 hours) 10x25
                                    Nichicon PM 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.026 - ripple current 2010 (5000 hours) 12.5x31.5
                                    Nichicon PW 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.030 - ripple current 1945 (7000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Rubycon MCZ 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.009 - ripple current 3230 (2000 hours) 10x25
                                    Rubycon YXG 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.027 - ripple current 2230 (6000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Rubycon YXH 1800uF 16V - impedance 0.027 - ripple current 2230 (10000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Rubycon ZL 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.018 - ripple current 2270 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Rubycon ZLG 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.012 - ripple current 2900 (5000 hours) 12.5x25
                                    Rubycon ZLH 2200uF 16V - impedance 0.017 - ripple current 2480 (10000 hours) 12.5x20
                                    Rubycon ZT 1500uF 16V - impedance 0.024 - ripple current 1900 (2000 hours) 12.5x25

...so as you see, some are certainly great ones, like the Samxon GA line or the Nichicon HZ line - but the major of the caps are"t as good as the original Chemi-con KZG ones, so... now worth looking for.

Bottom line - I was wrong about DFI using too poor caps. The Chemi-con KZG line of cap's aren't tha bad. It todazs might look little bit bad, tough, however at them time the board was projected, there aren't some of the best caps highlighted up there now... like the amazing Samxon GA series or the Nichicon HZ :p

Comment

linuxguru - you are right. I added more close matching example now. I know that before, but lack any better spec, so... OTOH, NIchicon PW aren't exactly my choice. It has lower spec that the Chemi-conKZG ones - therefore useless. But the Nichicon HZ like, now that is better. Lover endurance? I rather buy 4 and recap later, just to get the mobo working w/o audio issues over 200Mhz, witch I has when there are the KZG ones - remember, they has about 2500mA (for the 1500uF) ripple current, there was problems, and you suggesting something that has poor suxxking 2000mA.
                                      I'm alone who see this as problem???
                                      Look is not important for my, closed case, but nice point, tough
                                      And I'n¨m still nowhere near to be sure what check in the PSU. Or better - how to stress-test the PSU well. I'm affraid that this would need osciloscope to check, if there is not any hi-voltage spikes or something durring load, right? Because as for the look of the caps - they looking well...

willawake - thank's a lot! You can see results up there

davmax - Whooooooa! Now these looks ficking ficking good! Thanks for the tip! Now where to get such nice caps, that would be great. The Samxon GA line is really superb one, tought the availability might be a issue. In that case I would look for the Nichicon HZ line, and then the Rubycon MCZ, Chemi-con KZJ, Samxon GC, Nichicon HN and Panasonic FM caps

Comment

davmax - nice work, mate! You did less caps types that me, but also more voltages, so... I focused on the capacity aroun 2200uF and 16V - IMHO the quality of these could roughly suggest witch caps are best suitable (eg. lovest ESR and ESL) for mobos - especially stressed ones

And 10V aren't usable for me. Unless I want recap the CPU-power-drive caps (there are 6.3V ones) I need mainly the 16V ones
                                        Any other places that might have them? http://www.waifong.hk generaly store only Rubycons MCZ and has all higher capacity sold-out (not to mention the biggest ones are 2200uF, witch is not so much, IMHO) ...

So it become obvious that I have to look of for these caps types - sorted from the best to the worser alternatives:

Samxon GA
                                        Nichicon HZ
                                        Rubycon MCZ
                                        Chemi-con KZJ
                                        Samxon GC
                                        Nichicon HN
                                        Panasonic FM

Now if anyone can help me point me out where to get them, I would be very grateful.
                                        Last edited by willawake; 03-01-2006, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X