• Show
Clear All

HP vf51: fade to black

HP vf51 Flat Panel Display
    S/n CNNGM0N639
    Mfg'd: March 2003
    Assy P/n P4824-60501

I bought this LCD monitor at a 2nd hand store (no way to test it
    in the store and a "No Returns" policy).

When powered up with a 12VDC 1.8A power supply and attached to a laptop,
    it will display okay, but within a minute the display will flicker a couple of times and go black.

The long thin PCB (inverter board?) has this on its silk screen
    E157925 94v-0
    632127500-01 PTB-1275
    the barcode on the transformer on this board
    Z8077D00501 (I think)

It has only one electrolytic, a 220mfd 25V Elite with no signs of swelling or leakage. Is a replacement or substitute available for this board?
    What other troubleshooting should I do?

Thanks in advance.

TheZuke!

Re: HP vf51: fade to black

Originally posted by TheZuke! View Post
    We here like to see pictures of the boards. See misc suggestion #1 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=14

on how to properly post images here.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

HP vf51 Flat Panel Display
      S/n CNNGM0N639
      Mfg'd: March 2003
      Assy P/n P4824-60501

I bought this LCD monitor at a 2nd hand store (no way to test it
      in the store and a "No Returns" policy).

When powered up with a 12VDC 1.8A power supply and attached to a laptop,
      it will display okay, but within a minute the display will flicker a couple of times and go black.

The long thin PCB (inverter board?) has this on its silk screen
      E157925 94v-0
      632127500-01 PTB-1275
      the barcode on the transformer on this board
      Z8077D00501 (I think)

It has only one electrolytic, a 220mfd 25V Elite with no signs of swelling or leakage. Is a replacement or substitute available for this board?

Thanks in advance.

TheZuke!
      Agreed on the pictures.
      Are you sure you have the correct external power supply 1.8A seems low to me
      Al.
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
        Al.
        Great catch. Manual states 12V DC 3.3A as per page 24 at

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...f643bdaeb1.pdf
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Agreed on the pictures.
          Al.
          I agree. A 3.5 or 4a is what I normally see on these units.That will cause the lamps to shut off or the unit to work erratically.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

The bad part about it the power supply may cost more than the monitor is worth. I can hardly give away a 15” around here
            Al.
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

The bad part about it the power supply may cost more than the monitor is worth. I can hardly give away a 15” around here
              Al.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-Power-Adapter...item43a309d602
              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I wonder if an universal $10 dc laptop adapter with multiple tips would work just as well?
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  I wonder if an universal $10 dc laptop adapter with multiple tips would work just as well?
                  If the power requirement is 12V x 3.3A = 40 Watts, then yes, a laptop adapter rated at 70W will work as long as the tip is the right size.

A "universal" laptop adapter will probably not work, since the adapter has a built in voltage divider and the tips used are specific to laptop models and actually determine the output voltage. In other words, the right tip may output 19V.

Comment

The data sticker on the back panel of the monitor says
                    "Power Rating: [DC] 12V, 1.8A"
                    But this could be a case where the manual is right...
                    TheZuke!

Comment

Let's assume the back of the monitor is correct. Please post pictures and we can go from there.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

TheZuke!
                        http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08231.pdf
                        See page 24. 1.8 won't do it. You will not be able to troubleshoot accurately until power requirements are meet
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Inre: posting pictures
                          When I attempted to take pictures last night, our digital cameras all had dead batteries!
                          Now that they are recharged, I hope to find time to take some decent photos.
                          TheZuke!

Comment

As requested:
                            Here's photos of the back panel of the case with the inverter board, and another of the signal processor board.
                            Attached Files

Comment

As requested:
                              Here's photos of the back panel of the case with the inverter board, and another of the signal processor board.
                              There are a few of things you can do.

1) Measure the DC V on the inverter board at C101 to see if you get steady voltage. I'm guessing you will see 12V or 19V DC.

2) Possibly change the 220uF 25V with a fresh capacitor.

3) Measure I500 and I501 on the logic board to make sure they are outputting the correct voltages. Look for the LM2596S datasheet and post results of your measurements. Do the same for I501.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                There are a few of things you can do.

1) Measure the DC V on the inverter board at C101 to see if you get steady voltage. I'm guessing you will see 12V or 19V DC.

2) Possibly change the 220uF 25V with a fresh capacitor.

3) Measure I500 and I501 on the logic board to make sure they are outputting the correct voltages. Look for the LM2596S datasheet and post results of your measurements. Do the same for I501.
                                He will see at most 12v.
                                And the power input MUST BE ADEQUATE.See prior post with a link to manual. 1.8a won't do it ....
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                                  I finally got around to patching an old PC power supply to supply
                                  12 volts Dc @ 4+ amps to the monitor, and it works fine!

TheZuke!
                                  dona nobis pacem

Comment

Working...
                                  X