Antec cp-850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec cp-850

Hello, I have the ANTEC CP-850 power supply that died on me and unfortunately it's a pretty specific power supply that fits in only one of 3 towers (I have the Antec P183).

I'd like to have my CP-850 refurbished or repaired due to it sort of being such a specific power supply for the case it's intended for, not to mention it was pretty expensive.

ANTEC has a power supply "test" to confirm if it's the power supply that's dead or if another component is the culprit (motherboard, HDD, CPU, etc.). It did not pass their test by jumpering a couple pins together on the 24 pin connector, so I'm assuming the problem is within the power supply itself and not another component of the desktop.

Is there a reputable forum member that anyone can recommend on repairing my CP-850?

Thank you,

indy_chuck

Re: Antec cp-850

As I suggested in PM, check to see if the +5V Standby is OK, typically a purple wire:

PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I have a big 0.00 VDC on pins 7 and 9 (purple and black).

Comment

Time to unplug the thing and open up the case. Or just replace it. The problem is somewhere between the inlet and the 5VSB regulator.

If nothing is splattered around the inside of the case, I'd start with checking the fuse. If it's open that probably means you have shorted PFC (if it has active PFC) or Inverter MOSFETs.

If the fuse is OK, find out if there is high voltage (~300V without PFC, ~400V if there is) to the 5VSB regulator. If there isn't, the problem is between the fuse and the 5VSB regulator. If there is high voltage present, then you need to find out why the regulator isn't working. At this point both output electrolytics and small value electrolytics in the 5VSB regulator primary side are prime suspects.

Hopefully someone familiar with this PSU model can help you from here. I'm just going by my familiarity with common PSU design architecture.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

PeteS

This is starting to get too complicated vs. simply replacing it, with the exception of the fuse. I'll open the shroud and have a look around for the fuse.

Since I'm leaning toward the power supply needing replaced, based on age and make, do you have any suggestions on quality power supplies I can look at when making a power supply decision for my desktop?

It's been pretty consistent that my last 3 desktop builds have all experienced power supply failures, albeit they've provided a good 4 or 5 years of life, I'd still like to invest in one that is more reliable as well as repairable.

Thank you for any input or suggestions you can offer.

indy_chuck

Comment

Originally posted by indy_chuck View Post
            This is starting to get too complicated vs. simply replacing it, with the exception of the fuse. I'll open the shroud and have a look around for the fuse.
            Post some pictures of the inside of your power supply, and hopefully we should be able to guide you with those to continue with PeteS's troubleshooting steps above, which are pretty standard in how to troubleshoot really any PC PSU.

You will just need a multimeter and familiarize yourself on how to use it (there are videos on that on YouTube and some other websites).

Of course, it all also depends on your time. If you don't have a whole lot of it, then replacing the PSU may be a better option. On the other hand, if you do like DIY, you may find this fun.

As for replacement PSUs, what makes this PSU so special that you can't use just any other regular off-the-shelf ATX PSU? For example, if it's size (like you mentioned in your first post), what are the constraints of the case? Also, what kind of fan should the PSU have, in case that's a problem too? 80 mm, 120 mm, or 140 mm?

Comment

Working...
            X